Fear of getting my visa renewal rejected in France

Hey y'all!

I have been living in the US for almost five years now. I came here for my undergraduate degree that I finished in 3 years and then moved on to a masters degree. I will be graduating with my masters degree (MPA) in July. I was accepted in another masters degree starting in the Fall, it is a student affairs administration one year program.

I am wanting to go back to France to see my family this summer. I have not seen them in a while. My visa expired in April of this year. To come back to the US for my new program, I would have to get a new visa. I have the funds, I have a new I-20, a graduate assistantship set up. I am worried that the embassy would tell me "Honey, you already have two degrees, no need to get a third one, it sounds like you're trying to stay in the US forever so we have to keep you here in France, REJECTED!".

I have worked in student services since I've been a freshman and love the field and would love to make a career out of it. Student services is not a big deal yet in France, but a lot of private schools are starting to see the appeal, and I'd love to be a pioneer of it and lead the way. The program I got in is a very very good program and would teach me so much. It would also offer me a position as a GA for one of the student services office, which would give me even more experience to offer to schools in France.

I am very worried I won't get my visa renewed. Would you take the risk of going home? Or would you just stay until the program is over?

Thank you for all your answers!

Forget home, you been gone so long, what's another year?

I go along with the post from mugtech.
Stay until the program is over. 12 months is so little time taken in the context of a lifetime.

Well, I guess that I'm going to make it 3 for 3.

If you're planning on taking a further degree and you're already worried about a visa rejection then why risk it? After 5 years in the USA already what is one more, really?

I've been here in Brazil for over 13 years now and haven't been back to Canada since I arrived here. Sure, sometimes I feel a bit homesick, but that quickly passes. Actually I've found that the longer I'm here, the fewer and less intense the bouts of homesickness become.

Concentrate on your studies, and get your friends and family turned on to Skype if they're not already using it.

Thank you James, stumpy, and mugtech! This is what my reasonable side was telling me too, so I will follow your advice!

:top:

Good choice!

I don't see problem getting your student visa renewed. Talk to an immigration lawyer to be sure. Alternatively marry an American citizen.

rashidas wrote:

I don't see problem getting your student visa renewed. Talk to an immigration lawyer to be sure. Alternatively marry an American citizen.

In the time it would take to meet and marry a US citizen, convince immigration that it was NOT a marriage for a visa while actually applying for and receiving the spousal visa  would take more than one year, the degree would already be in hand.

In addition, it is improper on this forum to advocate breaking any laws, which would be the case if marrying for a visa.

I am not sure I want to take in the burden of marrying a quasi stranger really fast just to stay in the US for one more year. I also would not want to get deported. But thank you for your input  ;)