Bringing a car to Ethiopia

Hi All

First I want to bring a car from Dschibouti with platenumber from Europe.
After some weeks I want to change the number to an Ethiopian but this depends on a working licence.
Otherwise I want to pay the tax and sell the car.
Can you tell me if it is possible to pass the border Dschibouti -Ethiopia without problems and what is the rate of the tax at the moment?
Thank you for your help,
Paul

I think it depends on the type of car.normally taxed 75%.

Paul_addis wrote:

Hi All

After some weeks I want to change the number to an Ethiopian but this depends on a working licence.
Can you tell me if it is possible to pass the border Dschibouti -Ethiopia without problems and what is the rate of the tax at the moment?
Thank you for your help,
Paul

Hi Paul

I have seen cars driven in foreign plates like from europe. The procedure is you would have to declare that you will be taking the car back out and most probably it only allowed for a month or so as a visitor you can arrange this with a transitor in Djibutie. Re : Tax depending on wht car and the size of the engine I can find out for you and let you know but I have to tell you the duty on cars in Ethiopia is crazy if you send me the make,year of first registration,engine size and no of seats then I can tell you exactely how much the duty would be.

I can advise you further on how you can go about it.

Hello Olympus

I will bring a Landcruiser, 12 years old.

But at first for me it is very important what to do to drive from Djibouti to Ethiopia.
Because the car will arrive in Djibouti harbor and I will take it from there. After this I have to pass the border to Ethiopia.
Now some people told me I need a special permission, other told me I need a special insurance and the next told me I need nothing.
What can I believe?
Or where can I ask?
Sometimes I think I should give up and go to another country.

thanks,
paul

Hello there

I need my car in Ethiopia for about 3 to 4 months. It is a Landcruiser from 1998 and 7 seats. The engine number I do not know for the moment because the car is in garage. Maybe you have heard about the tax of similar cars.
I think you know the transport is expensive and so the idea is to sell it after this. I know I have to pay the tax and I know it is high but I hope it will not be too high.
And I know cars are very expensive in Ethiopia and I am not allowed to buy one because now I do not have working permission.
The worst case is to send the car back to Europe.

Dear Poul,

yes you are right cars are expensive but i think its not hard to sell so please put ao send me the price of the car and if it is possible tell me about the car more.

Regards,

Abiye

Paul_addis wrote:

Hello Olympus

But at first for me it is very important what to do to drive from Djibouti to Ethiopia.
Because the car will arrive in Djibouti harbor and I will take it from there. After this I have to pass the border to Ethiopia.
Now some people told me I need a special permission, other told me I need a special insurance and the next told me I need nothing.
What can I believe?
Or where can I ask?

thanks,
paul

Paul,

I'm looking to do a similar thing. Bring in a 4WD from either Dubai or Saudi. Please let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks
ubdai

Of course you need a special permit to bring a car. I have not heard anyone driving their car from DJ port to AA. I bought my car from UAE and have it shipped to AA.. it took two transit ors working together.. and it came per my request in a 20 f container... the receiving company knew all the requirements... which included ownership , title purchased price etc... then on my part .. my status ..in AA, quite a bit of paper work... Tax is about 100 -150 % when u are done with it...

Once the car is in AA it goes to the government lot and stays there until all paid. So no I do not think you can just drive in.

Good luck

E

Hello Ubdai

The tax depends on the type of car you are bringing in, then you can easily know the amount from there.Do let me know the type of car you are bringing so that I will refer and send you more details.

Usually, cars are taxed up to 180% this moment and Luxury cars are up to 240 %.if you are in the business arena and total investment as a foreign investor is 5million local money you will be exempt from tax.

Keep in touch.

Regards,
Paul

What if car is a 1979 MG Midget.  It is worth about 1,300.00 US
dollars according to a blue book price.  Can you tell me if it is possible to bring this into the country.  This would be for next summer.  I am interested in knowing how long a visitor permit is possible.  I am a US citizen.  But, if I decided to live permanently in Ethiopia, with a work permit, is it possible to have the car be imported and registered in Ethiopia?

Also...someone wrote that you can drive your car outside the country and renew a visitor permit.  Does anyone know how feasible this may be to actaully do?  Thank you very much...

Paul_addis wrote:

Hi All

Thank you for your help,
Paul

hi it is possible and if you pay tax you can change dont woriy about any theng ok

ubdai wrote:
Paul_addis wrote:

Hello Olympus

What can I believe?
Or where can I ask?

thanks,
paul

Paul,

I'm looking to do a similar thing. Bring in a 4WD from either Dubai or Saudi. Please let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks
ubdai

Hello Ubdai

As i checked the tax price recently for a land Cruiser GX 2008 is around 4,000 USD or 60,000 ETB.

regards

Hey guys my name is asef and I live in Australia but I want go to Ethiopia to stay there for good and I was just wondering is it better for me to buy a car in Ethiopia or get it from Dubai !!! Because the price car in Ethiopia is not cheep... So I need u guys to help me..

Hey team the same question. I live in North America, I will go to Ethiopia to stay for six months, and need my car there. My car is Toyota, Corolla,LE, 2013. I got the agency which will take it for me upto Djibouti port, but have no idea after tha please help me, I want to know how much I have to pay and for what I have to pay. I want to just live my car in Ethiopia

Hello ebsabuli,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

Kindly note that this discussion is not active since August 2013.

You can try to start a new topic on the forum with all your questions if you want.

Regards,
Yuveshen

Hi

Hi Haftomatsebha  :)

Welcome to Expat.com!

Any questions or informations to share with members of the Addis Abada forum on the topic : Bringing a car to Ethiopia ?

Feel free to share informations and even create new threads on the Addis Abada forum if you have any queries  ;)

Thank you,
Bhavna

For Toyota haice 2001 2002 tax shipping another costed how much will cost to reach Addis thank u

Dear
i want to bring a toyota corolla 2006 from Saudi arabia to ethiopia , do you know approximetly how much will it going to cost me ( tax and shipping from Djibouti) ?
Note : My nationality is not ethiopian
Also do i need an ethiopian citizen to finish this issue?

Best Regards
Asim Koko

Import tax can be as high as 35%.
Calculated on year of manufacture, number of cylinders, price you paid.

There are 5 different taxes on car imports.
custom duty
Excise tax
V.A.T
Surtax
Withholding tax.

Then you have the cost of freight which would be around $2000 or more.

want to ship my car from Germany to Addis but I am totally lost on the procedure and steps to follow  in order to obtain the car in Addis once shipped to Djibouti.
Any advice is welcome
thanks

@Ankah

Read my previous post regarding taxes for imported cars. Cost prohibitive. Information can be found on the Ethiopian Govt websites.