PRO'S AND CONS OF EACH DISTRICT AND AREA!

I would love to hear from everyone on their "likes" & "dislikes" of each area, village,district, or city they live in or have visited! Crime rate and basic cost of living most important! I really need to feel save wherever I decide to move to....
I would very much appreciate any and all comments or points of interest you want to share with me....
thanx in advance
Penny

Hi Penny,
We bought on Ambergris Caye.  Yes, it's more more expensive than most other places, but we feel worth it. We made several trips to various places before deciding.  HIGHLY recommended!

We love the island because of accessibility to shops, restaurants, beaches, markets etc...
We have a condo, so we can rent it out when not there, but also I feel safer than I think I would in a home, also we are not concerned with the property when we go back to states.

Yes, there is crime..... but show me a place where there isn't.  Common sense on your actions and surroundings, just as we do in the states.  We don't hang out at the bars late at night, wonder around downtown at night etc...
We do enjoy the beach, have lunch at the great little local places downtown, buy our produce from local vendors, snorkel, fish and enjoy exploring the island on a golf cart or our bikes.

So, my advice us to explore the different areas, San a Ignacio area us nice too, if you prefer mainland over the beach!
I have a little blog with lots of pics of island and mainland areas if you want to check it out,
Pepperspicksinparadise.com

Good luck on your search!

I went to your blog and loved it! thanx for any advice you can give ...as time goes on!
Pen

advice about Belize from a part time resident who lives in San Pedro is not useful for any other set of circumstances.     Your circumstances and choices can only be met with on the ground investigation.    The murder rate in Belize is the highest in Central America.   Home invasions are rising.   The US govt has issued an alert for travelers to Belize.     If you want personal safety in the Carribean, check out Aruba.    The crime issues here in Aruba were never a consideration while we lived there 5 years ago.   The people there are not poor or uneducated.   I suggest you subscribe to a blog/email news report written by a Belizean living in Belize.   go to Patrick Jones and get the daily news online.   go to Que Pasa Corozal and sign up for the daily news.    Decide for yourself.

I did not experience any security issues in Progresso. In fact I ride my bike back, and forth, often during the nighttime hours. The Belizean people are so proud of their country, and I believe the smaller villages can police themselves better. I am white, and the only white person other than the Mennonites, and only feel discriminated against as when I have to pay the gringo price. LOL

thank you for your replies...I will go check out that news online...for sure! Yes mzcalifornia, I agree with your advice...I can only decide through education. but on the other hand I do so appreciate any comments or advice someone can give me to pave the road ahead of me....all of your comments and suggestions, can only smooth out some of the bumps that lie ahead....Everything with a grain of salt.....right?

Hola necesito ayuda para saber los precios de la canasta basica de belize ayuda porfavor.

Just another snippet of "advice from a part timer" from San Pedro about Belize.... MZ California .... Last time I checked, Ambergris was still considered part of Belize, and I did think she asked for experiences we've  had on Belize!
Granted,   Ambergris is so totally different from other parts of Belize.  We traveled down numerous times and visited each area all at different seasons.....rainy etc...  We talked with locals, business owners and realtors.   So I do feel like we researched the country  at least enough for us to invest our hard earned money.

What we were able to conclude after a few trips! was that we preferred to be near the beach, so obviously that narrowed our search.  What I think you will find is exactly the same, you will either love the beach/island or hate it.   On the mainland,  we loved San Ignacio area. 

A couple major reasons we choose Belize over other countries was the proximity to the US and English speaking.

No, we may not have lived there long enough to get a bad taste in  our mouths about the country, as which I hope we never do, but we have found the people to be kind and welcoming and have felt safe......as for us, that makes us happy.
Best of luck in your search!

Hi Good Day Everyone!
Is there anyone here who lives in Orange Walk , Belize?  l wish to have some frends from that place. Can u also tell me more about the town or city?

Good Evening! I don't live in Orange Walk Town, About 16 miles away in Progresso Village. Orange walk has lots of services. Including Immigration. Good Pharmacy by Shell Station. Friday night they had movies in the town square. Many street vendors.  Two good grocery stores, hardware and lumber, and a great bakery. Hope this helps.

Hello Pennywise,
I lived in Punta Gorda, Toledo District, for almost 15 months and most of the time I was on my own as hubby was back in Canada.  I felt safe, didn't have a vehicle so had to walk everywhere, which I was able to do easily.  Because it is the capital town of the district it has other amenities not available in smaller villages - 2 full-fledged pharmacies, immigration for monthly visa updates, plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, taxis, domestic airlines, hospital and clinics, and all sorts of little shops where you can acquire what you need.

The cost of living was reasonable and in the past year there have been considerable improvements to the roads.  Getting there is the worst part, in my opinion.  About 6 hours from the international airport makes for a long journey.  If you need anything from Spanish Lookout or Belize City, it's a long drive if you choose to make the purchases in person.  Alternatively, you can order what you need and have it put on the bus or plane to be delivered to you.  Both options are available.   The real estate market is slow so if you plan on buying and selling as a way to make income, Toledo isn't the place to do this.  Not much of Belize is, but Toledo has a slower market. 

Punta Gorda and the Toledo District are, the safest in the country - Comparative Crime Rates - 2014-2014 .

Hi there- I am hoping to move to Belize and have the very same questions, small world eh, and would appreciate if you would share the posts you get on the area- would you please do me that favour?  Thank you- Wayne

Hello wmiller77,  thank you soooooooooo much for your honesty.....From what I'm discovering toledo district has the most rain???? but that would certainly take a back seat to feeling safe with your surroundings.... Now tell me, are you from quelph???? I'm from outside of windsor  bout 3 hours away if you are....and....my last name is miller too! small small world!!!! :cool:
Penny

Hi Wayne0007,
I would certainly share anything I can....just not certain how? I think you have to keep coming back to the original post????
Penny