Tips for getting your first job in Taiwan

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Taiwan?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Taiwan?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

I'll reply, since no one is really taking a crack at this one!

I've got a few tips that help for teaching jobs (because that's all I've ever had):

1.  Be young and pretty/handsome
2.  Have really good photos to hand out with your resume
3.  If you want a teaching job having a substitute license, teaching license, degree in teaching and/or a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate is helpful.
4.  Be from one of the following English speaking countries and/or have a passport from one:  America (always a favorite in taiwan), England, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa.  There are others, but these are typically the top picks.
5.  MUST have a bachelor's degree

Just a short story, I literally was hired because my picture was pretty according to the principal of the school.

I know this is not what anyone wants to read, but this is what they are looking for.  If you don't have all or most of the things on this list, they won't be as interested in you.  Another tip, some private schools won't hire a man to work in a primary school setting. That is changing, but I have definitely worked at a school where they turned down an EXTREMELY qualified teacher with a MASTER'S degree in Elementary Education and several years experience working with children in Taiwan because he was a man!!!!!  It still shocks me to this day when I think back to that conversation.

I, unfortunately, have no other experience in another sector.  I have also been disappointed trying to move out of the teaching zone, but there it is very difficult to move outside of it unless you have come over in a particular job already.

I agree with you, Most of private schools would prefer female teachers only, but Isn't It necessary for a teacher in Taiwan to speak the local language?

Good question.  But, no.  They actually prefer people to NOT speak Chinese in most schools.  I'm using the word Chinese, because the "local language" depends on the area you are in.  Chinese is used throughout most of the country, but Taiwanese and Hakka are really the two local languages.  Chinese is REQUIRED to be used in government, education, and most other government run things.

You can (and I suggest that you do) learn Chinese, Taiwanese, and/or Hakka after arriving in Taiwan.  But most schools prefer that you don't use it.  If you can't speak the language, I suggest finding a trusted friend or get an agent to help you out if you are signing a contract.  The Chinese language will always overrule the English version and the translation, while technically correct, does not always convey the full Chinese meaning.

I hope that helps!

My wife worked there for a few years and she loved it there, we are both in Dubai, but I know she would love to go back there and work.
Could any one recommend a good website for work ? Am a  Electrical Site Supervisor, but I can easily adapt to other types of work, thanks