Positive impressions from life in Kiev - April 2015

To continue with my previous post, I've lived in Kiev for 7 years and seen this city progress, grow and change. What's positive for me now:

-    Regardless of economic problems, the number of real estate offers is very high – new apartment ads are placed on billboards everywhere across the city
-    Despite hard economic situation, people are calm and friendly, atmosphere is very peaceful
-    Some of my friends from other cities have managed to find jobs recently, though not very well-paid
-    Food prices have risen, but still there are good offers in big chain stores like Auchan

Finally now, when the weather is slowly changing to summer, I think Kiev's a very good place for living and tourism. Lots of parks and cafes look welcoming to visitors. For me, who knows the city well, it's clear – Ukraine's capital is on the same line with European capitals. You can take tango lessons here or visit milongas, attend numerous English-speaking clubs or enjoy your holiday in the nature – Kiev's got it all.

Living costs are not high - transportation is 3.5 - 5 UAH, bread is 6 - 10 UAH, fish - 40 - 50 UAH per kg, sausages - 80 - 100 UAH per kg, a visit to a cafe with a drink and a meal - 100 - 300 UAH per person.
I must admit many locals are concerned about rising prices for utility services and high bills for natural gas and heating, but everybody's trying to find some ways to save on expenses. If you're an outsider going to spend some time here, foreign exchange rates are very favourable and it'll probably be so for a long time until investments start flowing into this country.

That's why though Ukraine is currently known for its instability and military conflict in the media, visiting Kiev at present is highly recommended.

Hello descon,

Thank you for this useful piece of information.  :top:

If you do have some answers to our questions on this thread : Cost of living in Ukraine – 2015 , do not hesitate to participate please as these information will be useful to other members as well.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi Priscilla,

You are welcome :) As you might understand, prices in Ukraine have changed recently, so when a person enquires about a certain thing, I'll be able to share more accurate info rather than providing info on all things for a certain date.

Thank you for sharing your honest opinions about Ukraine. I will visiting Kiev in mid May, i already booked my flight. I've always wanted to go but due to several political issues in the country, i decided to just let it calm down a little before I go.

To be honest, I am a little bit nervous and excited because I do not know what to expect. I am glad people are generally accepting. I am of Asian/Spanish decent, and (not trying to be rude) from what I heard the population there is mostly predominantly white. Do you think I will have issues? I will only stay for a week and will stay in the city center.

I also heard that foreigners are expected to carry their passports at all times. This is sounding very weird. Is this a requirement? I am afraid my passport will be lost if i keep on carrying it anywhere with me. As for my background, I can read and write in Russian, but my vocabulary needs more help :)

Dear Lizzieboo,

Thank you for a very open and friendly update to my post, it was interesting to read about your plans and concerns.

Now life in the capital is peaceful as it is in most other cities, no political events are going to happen in the near future. Yes, the population is white here, but you should expect kind and helpful attitude, if trying to ask something from a local, even in English. People here still remember the big event in 2012 – European football championship, when fans of different nationalities from all over the Europe and also Asia and Australia came to Kiev to enjoy sports and lots of volunteers and locals tried to help organize this event in the best possible way.

Also you should note Kiev is quite a big city and there is no need only to stay in the city center. Most areas are safe and some places - e. g. two aqua parks of Kiev are away from the center (situated in the northern and eastern parts which can be easily accessed by metro). They are really worth visiting.

Not sure, if you are expected to carry your passport everywhere. There aren't many police officials in the streets and I've never seen any of them checking documents with visitors. Probably it's still better to keep it in your place of living – it seems there's a bigger risk of forgetting it somewhere rather than you'd need it urgently.

Your reading and writing in Russian is good, then you can use some local guides and read information, however Ukrainian is often used in public places like metro and it's different from Russian. If I were you, I'd plan my trip using Google maps and checked ways of reaching all interesting sights in a comfortable home atmosphere.
Hopefully you'll find this information useful  :)

Hello Descon,

Thank you so much for very a detailed reply! I appreciate it. I agree about the passport thing to just leave it in hotel and if they ever stop me I can always go to my hotel and pick it up, but hopefully I do not get stopped :) I dont want trouble :)

I like the idea of google maps! Thank you! I will definitely try to plan my trip using that way.

Oh wow, I never thought Ukrainian would be all over Kiev...  I have no idea at all. I thought they only speak Ukrainian from the west side (Lyiv?) Good to know. I am not very familiar with Ukrainian writings but I will try to familiarize myself.

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Dear Lizzieboo,

You're welcome :) It's very nice to know that you will feel more confident and safe. Google maps will help you with planning your trip, but do you have any list of sights to see and do you know any important facts about the city?

Ukrainian is the national language and even though Russian is spoken everywhere, including Kiev, most signs are in Ukrainian, so local people are bilingual. Hopefully, it won't be a serious thing for you. Ukrainian uses the same Cyrillic alphabet, but some letters are different from Russian.

As for words, some are very close to each other like work - работа in Russian or - робота - the same in Ukrainian. However, there are differences, too, because Ukrainian language was influenced by Polish, for example ticket - билет (Russian) - квиток (Ukrainian). Still, knowledge of Russian is very important, you'll feel more or less in familiar surrounding.

Have you also considered the weather in Ukraine and things to take for it? We had a rather cold spring, it was +10 C or ven +5 C, but suddenly everything had changed and now it feels like summer - about +20 C in the morning and 25 - 30 C in the afternoon. So most likely wou'll feel like you've come to a real summer.

descon wrote:

Dear Lizzieboo,

As for words, some are very close to each other like work - работа in Russian or - робота - the same in Ukrainian. However, there are differences, too, because Ukrainian language was influenced by Polish, for example ticket - билет (Russian) - квиток (Ukrainian). Still, knowledge of Russian is very important, you'll feel more or less in familiar surrounding.

In Polish, "ticket" is "bilet" which is closer to the Russian version :)

Anyways, I got a question regarding Kyiv. As I gathered from reading your input to the forum, descon, you're an expat currently living in Kyiv, right?

Just out of sheer curiosity - are there any Polish expats living in Kyiv that you happen to know? I'm asking as I'm a Pole looking to move to the Ukrainian capital and can hardly seem to find any of my compatriots living there ;)

I am coming to Kiev for 2 weeks in mid July.  When I was there in 2003 I rented an apartment near 5 or 7 Kostolnaya Street.  It was perfect for my needs.  I don't want to spend a fortune for housing, just clean and nice.

I'm a high school teacher so I'm not made of money.

I've read horror stories about booking apartments in advance, getting to Kiev, finding out the apartment you rented in not the one in the photos.

Any real Ukrainian's you know personally who are reputable landlords?