New visa run, new "rules" - but back to 90 day (it seems)

Yesterday I went to Paso Canoas from Drake by bus to renew the 30 visa I was last given. For those not into this subject I have 4 or 5 previous threads on the topic which could be perused if some perspective is desired.

I exited CR and at the immigration parking area struck up a conversation with a young cheerful lad and told him of my previous 30 visa and asked WHY? Got some mumbo-jumbo about new trainees and extra care, but this is nonsense. Here's the punchline: He had a friend coming on shift at 2PM who would for sure give me 90 days, not only that but I could reuse my 30 day old bus ticket w/o having to spend $15 to buy a new one. For his help $40(40-15=$25 net).

But that presented another difficulty, my only return bus left at 2PM which meant I would have to overnight either at PC or Cuidad Nelly; meals and a room plus another day lost. But there is now another wrinkle on the Panamanian side, photos are being taken and an immediate check in-out is not permitted - a 10 hour wait is required. But as usual there is a fix for this as well, my lad has a friend who for an additional $10 will check me out immediately (no David-SJ ticket needed, save $15; net $5+, ok).

But none of this made sense for my desired schedule, so wait - another workaround. The person on shift that morning was giving 90 day visas but I would have to purchase a new SJ-David Tracopa ticket with 90 days validity, everything must be in order. So that's how it went down this trip; $40 + 10 for the muchacho, and I got a 90 day visa in 3 hours.

Note that it is not necessary to pay anyone, but they have some useful info that we do not. Ultimately time is worth money.

An interesting vignette was playing out with a gringa behind me; she was alone but had brought her son's and husband's passports with her. She convinced CR to give exit stamps (sick son with father in hotel) but then did not want to pay for some heavy duty "help" for the Panama stamps for non existent people. I do not know how she fared coming back into CR - but I suspect her son and husband are now in CR illegally.

I am a known 'bad boy' at immigration as my passport was presented by another, got seized, got a letter of reprimand - and was close to being deported. It is NOT advisable to break immigration's rules.

have a good trip, Bill

Hello Bill :)

Thanks for sharing the information!

Regards
Armand

How on earth did you not get locked in Immigration Jail & then kicked out for giving your passport to someone else to get stamped???  MOST people DO get kicked out - for 5 YEARS for doing that (I've PERSONALLY KNOWN people were!!!)

Hi SarongGoddess,

Guess you only saw this post today except please note that it is quite old and dated 2011 :(

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions if you do have any on the Costa Rica Forum for better interaction please :)

Thank you

Maximilien