Living in PNG for young people and

Hi all,

I have received an employment offer in Port Moresby of around 60k USD + company provided accommodation, health & medical insurance, car allowance/pool car, relocation allowance etc (this is net salary). Also there will be some security benefits :)

1.)
Is this solid salary for PNG? What are the living costs in Port Moresby? ...i would like to know how much money I could save per month (the offer is 5k USD monthly, its about... 13,4k PKG if google dont lie:)

2.)
The second thing in which I am very interested is life. I have read a lot about PNG and that there is a lot of security issues. I shouldnt move anywhere without security guard, and so... I guess this isnt so dramatic like everyone write?
What kind of life one young guy from Europe could find there? What is cultural structure of people in PNG? Are there some bars, night clubs, shopping malls, swimming pools, gyms... where you could have some normal life, meet some young people, make friends. Or everything this is under bit security issue, and just security guard will be my best friend :)
I am asking this because I would relocate to PNG solo, without family, and my biggest concern is how my social life will looks like there in PNG. What kind of lifestyle I could expect there?

Please let me know your opinion and experience. I would very appreciate your help :)

Thnx

I hope someone will reply to me...

Hello Jololo

You may browse through threads in our different forum sections to gather infos while waiting for some responses :

Cost of living in Papua New Guinea

Everyday life in Papua New Guinea

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Salary is a hard question, depends on your style of living. You could spend a lot of money if you ate out every night, went to the pubs/clubs a lot etc.

There is a great social life here for expats, and there are many other young people here. I'm sure you will have no problem meeting people, making friends. There is plenty to do outside of work,clubs, pubs, sports, gym, social groups.

Sure you have to drive every where (not walk) and be careful about going to certain places, but the general expat places are quite safe and have lots of people around. I don't travel with a security guard, nor does anyone I work with or my family, but we lock our doors, don't go to certain areas and always be aware that there is security issues in this country so we should be careful. However I don't ever feel unsafe, its an amazing place with amazing people.

Hey you will enjoy it . there is a good community of Europeans. There are different crowds here, are you the type that likes hiking or exploring. There is a huge development here with clubs and social things. There are cinemas and clubs . so you wouldn't miss out on the latest movies. If you are living by yourself without family it will be easier. So pop a message I can get you in contact with people.
A

Hi there,
I think we are in the same boat. I will be moving to Tabubil, PNG next July and have no clear clue about living there (I am so nervous and excited at the same time).

I also will be living by my self and wonder about social life in there!

Anyone wants to share info about living in Tabubil?

Cheers

almiratantri wrote:

Hi there,
I think we are in the same boat. I will be moving to Tabubil, PNG next July and have no clear clue about living there (I am so nervous and excited at the same time).

I also will be living by my self and wonder about social life in there!

Anyone wants to share info about living in Tabubil?

Cheers

There is nothing much in Tabubil. Are you on FIFO or not?
It is a mining town,rains a fair bit, not too much social life, but there is a golf club, lions club, hash house harriers etc. A Google search will give you information about Tabubil.

I worked there when the road to Tabubil was first built from Kiunga, the town constructed and the mine site developed. Went back some years ago to work on the Bige dredging project then worked out of Kiunga developing oil rig sites a few years ago.

Well living in PNG is very exciting for young people am young too i love mingling with every one so the bigest thing in life is you have to have friends ..through friends you will know the backgoung of that country you are in..but. choose good friends who will look after you and take you around the place to see and witness for yourself..so am here if you want friends am Rodney.