Healthcare in Georgia

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Georgia ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Georgia?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Don't get sick. Healthcare in Georgia is a nightmare. Similar to a Latin American country. Most doctors are poorly educated and you're likely to receive five different diagnosis from five different doctors. I would strongly recommend avoiding this country all together if you have any health problems. If you are in pain, you're screwed. Broken bones are treated with ibuprofen. Hospitals do not serve food so bring your own. Seriously. Take into consideration that most Georgians still believe that cold air can give you a virus. Aside from sub-Saharan Africa, Healthcare in Georgia is as primitive as it gets.
Remember that cleanliness is not a priority any more than personal/oral hygiene is a priority for Georgians. Keep sanitary gel available at all times. If you can afford it, take a taxi and AVOID marshrutkas and the subway. There is no concept of personal space and people pile on top of one another like it's no big deal. This creates a breeding ground for disease.
Also, if food looks like it might be gross, it most certainly is.

I do agree that most places in Georgia are highly lacking in medical care/advice/diagnosis.  Even my friends have had some trouble with their choice of doctors since arriving (Mostly b/c someone told them to go to a specific place that they said our insurance would cover). 

However, there are places that have Western standard care and UK/US trained (and more likely born) doctors who won't give you a diagnosis that is bogus.  If you need to find a place to see a doc, the US/Canadian/UK embassy websites are a good place to start.

IMSS is one of the best medical clinics, the head doc is Irish.
New Hospitals has German trained doctors and proper, clean equipment.  I'm not sure of the food situation there, but the tour I took of the hospital campus showed me a well run, well equipped facility.  There or Aversi Clinic on Vazha Pshavela are more than likely the only two hospitals I'd go to if I needed care.

PM me if you have any other questions.  I have a circle of friends that know of proper places to go for multiple health issues.