I lived in Gibraltar for 3 years from 1955 to 1959

I should have really thought hard enough when I turned 60 in 2002 about trying to return to Gibraltar to live. But, other things occupied my mind at that moment in time. So was not able to plan anything for definite.

So, now that I've turned 70, it has been preying on my mind about the pro's and con's about the thought of re-living in Gib once again. I think that I could afford it, as I would not be paying hefty heating bills in the winter-time, which last year cost something over £600 odd.

I have 3 pensions, 1. State 2. MOD & 3. Co-op. I do have a car at present, but feel that considering the size of the Rock with it's excellent Public transport system I would not need a car?
Which in turn will be another saving of somewhere in the region of £3000 a year (cost of car, fuel & insurance).

I lived in Gibraltar from 1955 to 1959, my Father worked in the Dockyard as a Blacksmith. And the family moved from Rosyth in Scotland to live there. The childhood years living on the Rock was great, as I had a great time & can still remember where we lived for those years.

At No 2 Cumberland Buildings, which I now believe were demolished along with the Tower Building opposite which in turn had a great view of the Dockyard. The only problem that I had in Gibraltar then, was when I turned 15 I was employed in the Dockyard as a Yard Boy?

Will continue this

What do you want to know? :D

Unless you want to visit Spain you don't need a vehicle, yes the buses are good, when I'm not walking I use them all the time.  If you do want a car, fuel is cheaper than Spain or UK, MOT for private vehicle is every two years and costs £20. 

Grumpy can tell you more about pensions but it sounds as though you can manage and wd get Gib ID for that and all the rest of the cards.

Question is, why do you want to come? Nostalgia? It ain't the same Gib by any stretch of the imagination. (My dad was here in the 40s, yes navy).

Renting or buying?  Renting isn't cheap. Neither is buying.  We live in a small one-bed flat and fall over things every day because we don't have enough space. Alternatively I could be disorganised and spend too much time on the internet.

I thought Cumberland was still around but I'm not going up that way for a couple of days.

Plenty of ex MOD people around, the Legion is always a good starting place.

Gib is as good a place as any, pesky natives over the border can be a bit of a pain, but nothing new there.

Ask away.

colinscat2002 wrote:

I had a great time & can still remember where we lived for those years.

At No 2 Cumberland Buildings, which I now believe were demolished along with the Tower Building opposite which in turn had a great view of the Dockyard. The only problem that I had in Gibraltar then, was when I turned 15 I was employed in the Dockyard as a Yard Boy?

Yes they are both gone and replaced by newer builds.

I have no idea how much income you receive from your pensions but would say the cost of living here is on par with UK with the possible exception of housing.

Renting or buying the following website will give you an idea of costs :- http://propertygibraltar.com/

Other costs like food / electricity etc. some things are cheaper others more expensive so it's swing and roundabouts.

However as RSTM says Gibraltar has changed drastically since you were last here and it may come as a shock to you, therefore I suggest you come over for a holiday before committing yourself

Regards

Grumpy

Hello Grumpy,
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
All my pensions amount to roughly £323.00 a week, and take into the account of no or little heating bills if I moved to Gibraltar;(I really should take (your advice)and holiday there first).

By the time I left Gig in 59 I was quite a fluent speaker in Spanish/Gib lingo though I was unable to read or write it. I also had quite a good number of Gib friends as well. As some of them will be my age and might still be alive, as I still have a list of some of them.

Must sign off for now. Maybe catch you later. Cheers Colin

My wife lived in Tower Buildings, Gibraltar in1958-1959, she worked in a shop called London Fashions. Tower buildings have now been demolished. Her name was Janet Penney, her father was an Admiralty Pilot. I believe they used to go to a club called the Saucy club, not sure if that is the right spelling.

(Moderated: Inappropriate posting)

As you are getting on a bit and the UK NHS is on its way out then GIB might be better regardless. Whoever doesnt realise this and reported me to the moderators is wearing rosy coloured glasses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -ward.html

Hi, I too lived at 16,Cumberland Buildings in Gibraltar from 1952-54 when the Royal family visited. I spent many a day at Rosia Bay when there was a Dockyard workers club one side and an Officers club on the other. I attended St Christopher's School and has a wonderful childhood.
I lost my first wife and remarried in New Zealand where I spend half the year, returning to Cornwall for the summer. That is until I get too old and then I will settle with my wife in New Zealand.

Bob Handy