Healthcare in Honduras

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Honduras ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Honduras?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Hi Julien,

There is a huge difference between public and private sectos so I would recommend to buy a private health insurance from one of the big companies in Honduras, the private network is pretty good, most doctors have studied abroad (same as in public sector) the difference are the hospital conditions, equipment, etc.

Got more questions just pop them

Thank you TravelingHonduras for your contribution :)

Aurélie

My father lived in Honduras and fell seriously ill there in 2010.  My experience of the hospital system in Honduras was a nightmare and we were told we were in the best hospital in La Ceiba. 
I please implore everyone to purchase medevac insurance if they are living in Honduras.  If something serious goes wrong it will be easier than what we went through getting my Dad out.  The air ambulance health team was appalled by the treatment my father had received. 
We were only allowed to visit him 3 minutes, 3 times a day as he was in an ICU.  They took him for dialysis and got his guerney stuck on the elevator.  He was misdiagnosed over and over. I had to beg nurses for glycerine to swab his dried out mouth and lips etc... We got him out but it took 3 days and may or may not have cost him his life.  It certainly cost him his dignity. 
Finally in Florida he recieved awesome care as did I.  H died comfortably and in peace and I was able to be at his side for which I am eternally grateful. 
On the otherhand 3 days in the ICU was unbelievable cheap by US standards.  About $3000.  but I recommend you make arrangements in advance and spare your family what we went through.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

Excellent 1st class healthcare here in Honduras. I am 74 1/2, self insured, non insurable, at an afordable price in the US. Have been hospitalized 4 times in the 12 years of living here. Most resent for prostrate removal with the micro less evassive method. Total bill $3,000 including follow up visits. Private Clinic in La Lima. Most of the plublic system doctors are the same as in the private sector, but the confort level is far from being the same. Same goes for dental care. Most doctor visits run at about the $25. level. As for evacuation services, where would I go. I do understand that top notch care is not avaliable in all parts of the country, but for me, it is great. La Lima is just outside of SPS.

The medium and large sized towns usually have very good hospitals and doctors. We went to an EVANGELICAL hospital in Siguatepeque for wrist surgery and the whole staff and experiences were great. My wife had four nurses tending her.  The smaller towns are dicey- some have a small clinic or doctor/nurse. As long as you are a 30-minute bus ride from a decent sized town, you should have no problems, and the costs are very reasonable. My dentist had the latest equipment.  If you work there, you may qualify for the social security health system (any age.) It helps pay some of your costs.

How about Rotan or Utila? I am looking to move to one or the other and I'm a little worried since they are both a small Island. Does anyone have any medical info for those areas?

I have had excellent medical treatment in Honduras. Saved my hand, (serious wrist injury) and my knee! If you speak no Spanish possibly a problem, however many Honduran doctors speak English well.

Micol wrote:

Excellent 1st class healthcare here in Honduras. I am 74 1/2, self insured, non insurable, at an afordable price in the US. Have been hospitalized 4 times in the 12 years of living here. Most resent for prostrate removal with the micro less evassive method. Total bill $3,000 including follow up visits. Private Clinic in La Lima. Most of the plublic system doctors are the same as in the private sector, but the confort level is far from being the same. Same goes for dental care. Most doctor visits run at about the $25. level. As for evacuation services, where would I go. I do understand that top notch care is not avaliable in all parts of the country, but for me, it is great. La Lima is just outside of SPS.

Thanks for the informative post, Micol. My wife and are are about your age, in reasonably good health, and on the lookout for a place in Central America to retire. Medical expenses a major factor, of course. But I see that La Lima Medical Center is just outside San Pedro Sula, and SPS has a terrible reputation as a violent-crime area. I don't know if that area is just the city, or near La Lima, or what. What can you tell me about it. If we were to make a preliminary visit, where would it be safe to stay, somewhere not too far from the Clinic? Oh, and are the dentists near the Clinic, and the pharmacies? (I am on regular prescription blood-pressure and cholesterol tablets.)

I'd really appreciate any advice.

San Pedro has a violent reptutation and that is one reason I would avoid. Another is that it is VERY HOT AND HUMID. Go up into the mountains- just  two hour bus ride away- Siguatepeque, south of Lake Yojoa. 3400 feet and much more temperate!  Many other good places in the country in the mountains that would be comfortable, safer and less noise.
Check out other Southwestern Honduran towns of 20,000 plus populations.    Check   Ocotopeque. Comayagua. Good luck.