12 years in China and still cannot speak Chinese!

Hi, I'm a British Expat out of London.

I have had the pleasure of working various (approx. 14) LNG storage tank construction projects mainly around N / E & W of Shanghai, China over the last 12 years,  [Prior too China was 20 years moving from Middle east through to Asian.]

Because the project documentation was in English; I assisted local Chinese engineers to interpret requirements. The spinoff was that Chinese engineers were keen to take the opportunity to improve their English communication; so I learnt very little Chinese!

But that has never hindered my communication with local traders. Most shops are mini-supermarkets, so food selection is quite easy. When I couldn't see what I wanted, a sketch helped. Small shop traders are best, especially if you visit them regularly and set up a sort of repartee. I have never felt overcharged shopping locally in China.
I live in Shanghai - south outskirts and love it.

For new comers I would suggest my self-brainwashing technique "Where you are is your HOME". Never mind where your roots are - you can always return. But "Where you are is your HOME". Accept it and treat it as such - you will learn to fit in one way or another.

David

true words oh king... true words....

HOME". Never mind where your roots are - you can always return. But "Where you are is your HOME". Accept it and treat it as such - you will learn to fit in one way or another. David

YES

yeah, I like the words "Where you are is your HOME". Never mind where your roots are - you can always return. But "Where you are is your HOME". I'm a native in Guangzhou city, hope you enjoy life in China.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : No publicity on the forum, your may register freely your services in our Business directory

Hi, David,

Su Shi, Chinese famous poet in Song Dynasty - about 1000 years ago, said: "Where my heart is, where my home is", 此心安处是吾乡. and he also said "Where is my home", 何处是吾乡. these are romantic ancient Chinese.

And maybe we can talk on skype, I can teach you Chinese for free, I am a native speaker and have just finished a traning course on TEACHING CHINESE AS A SECOND LANGUAGE, I was ever an English teacher for 3 years, and my job now is related to engineering, construction, shipping and lifting.

Don't worry, I don't look for boyfriend here, and no any intention... just roam online, and I don't need to practice my oral English although it's not good enough yet no difficulty on communication.

Aris

Hi Aris,
"Where my heart is, where my home is". That's very much different to "Where you are is your HOME".
One's (Expat) heart can be where their roots are; but to 'fit in' where you are, where you are must be considered your 'home'. Make sense?
Good you are not looking for boyfriend - my Chinese wife (6-yrs+) would be upset!
However, as a mechanical engineer, I would be happy to discuss any engineering problems you may come across and would like another opinion; it's what I have been doing for long time now - but now is for free :-)
Er, what means Su Shi? - other than Japanese food :-(
I am currently in the UK - short-ish period I hope & don't have Skype installed. WeChat yes.
David

Hi, David,
Thanks for your explanation on the sentence, I think I have lost in translation about the poem, your Chinese wife must know it (the Chinese poem) better.

Su Shi is a famous poet in Song Daynasty (1000 years ago), not the Japanese food sushi... same spelling, hahahaha...

Our products are twistlocks and turnbuckles etc for lashing containers for container ship, no use for LNG ship...

Please forget the Skype or weChat, it was the first time I said like that...

Aris

All ok Aris.

David: Welcome to the club, I too have been here 12 years coaching basketball and still have difficulty with the language.  I know enough to get by however, I crave to be able to add to any conversation when out to dinner with my Chinese wife and friends. Further, I wish to share my thoughts with the referees that officiate my games.  I have taught my daughter and wife to speak English and my daughter graduated from Sichuan University with a degree in International business.  She now works for an international bank and is doing well...As for me...I remain the status quo.  If there is anyone out there that can suggest a website for learning Mandarin, please let me know, most of them require a fee and I don't mind paying it but would prefer a free site.  Thanks for any help offered..Laurence..

Hi, I can't help in that quarter, but I did 'Bing' "free chinese lessons" (without quotes) and the first 3 sites looked interesting: 1). http://www.freechineselessons.com/    2). http://www.learnchineseez.com/lessons/mandarin/
3). http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/chinese/  But I didn't follow thru' to see if really were free.

Burchy: Thank you my friend, I will dive into those sites and give you an update.  Take care and good luck with your new position.  Laurence a.k.a. Coach Mac