OVERSTAY TOURIST VISA FINES - as of 2014

Cash...pesos

Bob K

Thank you, Bob. :)

You are welcome.

Bob K

NO credit cards accepted,   they prefer dollars but will take pesos!

Here at POP they want pesos not Dollars.  If they took dollars they would have to collect $56.05 and where are they going to get change for $57. 
They would also have to recalculate the amount daily, as the exchange rate fluctuates daily.  Nope they want pesos

BobK

Wow, in Santo DOmingo  they claim they "cannot" accept pesos  they want US dollars, and of course that is a big fat lie.....  Pesos are the official currency......

I am not sure whether there has been an update.  I recently returned from DR after spending 2 months and 6 days in Sol de Plata  I had prepared my US dollars to pay the 800 pesos for both my wife and I i.e.1600 pesos.
Having gone through to passport control I was advised the fee was 5000 pesos.  I explained that I did not have this on me and was advised that if I didn't we could not catch our flight and insinuated prison!.

With regard to living full time in DR we have decided this is not for us.  We visisted many properties in Sosua, potentially to buy or rent.  The problem with renting is this crazy clause whereby the owner can give you 60 days notice if he sells..  As just about everything seems to be for sale, hence another reason not to buy.We would like to have the best of both worlds, enjoy Europe and DR.  So our approach is maybe 4-5 months in DR and rest in Europe.  However it would be good if one could apply for a VISA.  In OZ you can go for up to 6 months.  The thought of going for a Residencia based our decision, we think would be foolish.  Also have read other blogs on this subject what are the authorities likely to do in the future?  If they keep on increasing these fines or making it more difficult, surely DR will loose tourists.  Thanks to all for past advice.

Ducketts

As we stated in another thread - the overstays changed months ago and we POSTED THE CHANGES.  In addition -  that clause is completely ILLEGAL and we told you this as well. You must know your rights and obligations here.  Tenants have all the rights!

Posting it twice does not make it any different!

Sorry Planner I am not sure I understand you.  I would be most grateful id you expand on the "Illegal" bit.  Thanks

Ducketts

Sorry it did not work for you. As we said this place is not for everyone.

As far as increasing fees why does this amaze you???? Every other country in the world places fees, visa fees, residency requirements and so on for those that overstay.  Even in Europe you are limited to 90 days in the EU countries (one or multiple countries but 90 days total) before you are required to pay a fee to stay longer.  Why should we be any different here.  That is why we recommended that you get your residency if you planned on being here for long periods.  Heck even in the good ol US of A you are required to get a green card if you want to live there and are not a citizen.

As to the level of the fee the information on this has been posted here as well as any other boards on the DR. It even has multiple threads on Trip Advisor.

So again sorry and I wish you luck in your search for some where else.

Bob K (still living the dream here in the DR)

There you go!
Our beautiful island is not everybody's
cup of tea.
Oh well,it's mine & that's all I really care about.

I am with you Thomas....

I discovered also that DR was not for me.

I thought I was prepared for the overstay fee with an Internet research. But at the passport control, I learned the hard way that the overstay fee had been dramatically increased. I needed a few more thousand pesos.  I was stuck and was not about to go to jail. Thank God for cash advances from credit cards because the airport's ATM rejected my debit card. Anyway, one of the workers was telling me that the new fee increases have been causing problems because a number of exiting foreigners are unaware of them. So one can experience excitement from a small airport called Samaná El Catey International Airport.

Sorry to hear of your experience.   Always best to be prepared.  LEaving a country literally without  US 100 or so in your pocket extra is never a good idea.

WE understand this place is not for everyone.  Thank goodness or we would be overrun with people......... I am sure you will find the place that is right for  you.

Thomas you got it right!!!!
Bob K

lehmansa yes it is not for every one which is why we always say you should come and explore for a while before making any decisions.

Sorry about the overstay fee but that has been posted in almost every forum since October.  And I agree with Planner how does anyone travel with out some money in their pocket???

Bob K

Thank you Planner & Bob!
You MUST always have 2x what you think you need
when you leave from anywhere in pesos or whatever.
You can always spend the extra in the airport bars!
Have a great DR dias!

Good advice Planner and everyone else.

Tomas I like the in the "bars" part :D:D:D

Bob K

I have been here for 4 months! Whar is the fines?

4,000 RD per person.

Once again here is the complete list of fees.  Note the first 30 days in country do not count as they are covered by your tourist entrance card.  So this schedule really starts on day #31
1 day to 3 months: 2,500 RD$ (was 800 RD$)
3 to 9 months: 4,000 RD$ (was 1,000 RD$)
9 to 12 months: 5,000 RD$ (was 2,500 RD$)
12 to 18 months: 6,500 RD$ (was 4,000 RD$)
18 to 24 months: 8,000 RD$ (was 5,000 RD$)
24 to 30 months: 9,500 RD$ (was 6,500 RD$)
30 to 36 months: 11,000 RD$ (was 9,000 RD$)
36 to 48 months: 16,000 RD$ (was 14,000 RD$)
48 to 60 months: 20,000 RD$ (new category, was 14,000 RD$)
60 months to 6 years: 30,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
6 to 7 years: 40,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
7 to 8 years: 50,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)
8 to 9 years: 60,000 RD$ (new category, was 17,000 RD$)

Bob K

Not sure that is correct Bob,  once you overstay the fine is calculated from the entry stamp in your passport.  That is what I am told.  Anyone else have experience on this?

Planner, you are correct. At least from 20 months ago when
I last went to Canada.
They checked my passport & DID calculate from the
day I got here for the overstay charge.
At that time I was here over a year & it was around 2000 pesos.
Bob, I did have enough for 4 cervasas!

Now here's a question for anybody:
The potential overstay charge is "waived" once you apply for
OR receive your cedula?

I have heard yes on both.
From "Those in the know".

YES it is  waived.  Normally when you apply for residencia you also pay your "overstay" fine as of that moment of application.  That covers you.

Once you have the application number you no longer pay overstay fines.

Interesting. I was not asked to pay when they accepted my application
in January of this year. Still haven't got my cedula yet.
Well, we'll see the next time I go to Canada, which is not anytime soon.

Cool keep us posted......

Don't worry Planner, when I get my Cedula
the whole world will know about it, (via F/B)!

Planner so are you saying that someone who comes for a 10 day vacation (here between 1 and 30 days) is now paying
2500 pesos to leave. 

I am sure that vacationers here for up to 30 days are not hit with this extra exit fee.

There is an exit tax (included in many air fares) of $20 US but I am sure that is not the same thing.

Bob K

NO  I am saying when they hit day 31 it is 2500

That is what I said in post #102 above.  After the tourist visa expires on  day 30 you are then in the "penalty phase"

Bob K

But the fine amount goes back to day 1 to calculate Bob.  It doesn't start calculating at day 31.

Ok that makes sense.  Thanks

Bob K

Siempre.

Has anyone heard about the deadline of June 15th, 2015 for overstays of more than 6 months? In Luperon there is a rumour going round that as of that date anyone in the country for more than 6 months will be deported and that for us cruisers our boats will be confiscated.

Wow the rumor mill is running rampant.

That was the cut off date to get your paperwork in order.  However no active deportations except maybe for some Haitians.  However if you get caught doing something wrong (even something simple like ticket or an accident) I would not be surprised if they did not start deporting some folks in that situation.  In other words they can use this to get rid of anyone they do not want here.

Bottom line...you want to live here...then play by the rules.

Bob K

Bob K

agree with Bob,  this is mostly bad rumors.   And I agree any infractions of a potentially serious nature could get you deported.  Now there is a good reason for them to go thru the hassles.....  Not sure a traffic ticket or 2 would do it though....LOL

If you already are on their radar then a traffic ticket may do it.

Bob K

True if you are on the radar.........

Sorry, as long as you have STARTED your paperwork
at one of the 10-20 locations around the country,
you are ok to stay.

After my paperwork was considered "OK" by
the Samana office, then they sent it to SD (Head Office"),
we got a call,  5 months later, that 2, (out of the 20-25)
documents had minor errors in them.
They would not explain what over the phone.
So, next week it's off to Samana, (trip #6) to
fix the errors.
Catalina asked them if we should be worried in any way,
they replied, "no, of course not".
So, the saga continues.
I have heard of people going to fix little errors,
over 20 times.
Go figure!
Still love my new, (almost) Country!
Enjoy your day!

Closed