How to get an Ecuador Residency Visa 9-1 – Pensioner

I did my own and laid out the whole process for anyone interested.

paulacee.com/2015/03/27/how-to-get-an-ecuador-residency-visa-9-1-pensioner/

Paul's visa is the 9-I pensioner visa based on a minimum of $800 per month in pension-type income ($900 for a couple).  Visas based on a bank CD or real-estate investment of $25,000+ may be more complicated.

For lack of a 'www.', the Expat.com software did not provide a clickable link to Paul's website visa page.  Here is the link:

www.paulacee.com/2015/03/27/how-to-get- … pensioner/

Paul's website (paulacee.com) also has photos from this month's peaceful May Day demonstrations in Cuenca, whose participants included pro- and anti-government forces, and Anarchists. 

cccmedia in Quito

The OP got his visa in 2014.

Before the FBI backround check became a requirement for the permanent residency visa. And the required apostille from the US Dept. of State which must be attached to the now-mandatory FBI report.

He's posted this before. In fact of the only 3 posts he's ever entered on this expat-blog, all of them have been exactly the same, links to his website visa page. He's just advertising his blog. Pffft.

Besides, I have it from a reputable source that the visa requirements have now changed:  you need $900 pension for an individual or $45,000 - you read this right - instead of the former $25,000 for the visa associated with a CD or real estate or investment.

HelenPivoine

Helen Pivoine wrote:

Besides, I have it from a reputable source that the visa requirements have now changed:  you need $900 pension for an individual or $45,000 - you read this right - instead of the former $25,000 for the visa associated with a CD or real estate or investment.

HelenPivoine

This is incorrect as I replied to you in post #15 at
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 37#2602916

Unless they simply haven't updated the website - can you please cite where your information is from?  What I have posted is from official Ecuador government sources.

My source is a person already living in Ecuador who received this information from an immigration lawyer.  The website is wrong, they do not update the website properly evidently.

HelenP

Helen Pivoine wrote:

My source is a person already living in Ecuador who received this information from an immigration lawyer.  The website is wrong, they do not update the website properly evidently.

HelenP

Hopefully we can receive better info than second hand lawyer info.
Anyone applied recently can help us out here?
Not too hard to believe the website has not been updated.

This would be a Loja lawyer, an Ecuadorian, who deals regularly with the immigration folks.
You are a U.S. Citizen having not landed in Ecuador.

Think about it.

HelenP

Helen Pivoine wrote:

This would be a Loja lawyer, an Ecuadorian, who deals regularly with the immigration folks.
You are a U.S. Citizen having not landed in Ecuador.

Think about it.

HelenP

Already thought about it.
I am a US citizen with no vested interest, just want to know the truth, said I don't know if it is true.
Just asking for more sources than a lawyer, as any reasonable person would.

If you really want to get the "straight skinny" on Visas you need to talk to someone
who can give you "legal" answers and not some friend of a friend who's uncle said.

Go to:  Gringovisas.com

You can get all your answers there.  Tell them Judith sent you.
The consult is free.

Just an FYI. "I got this from reputable source.."  Second hand from an expat who got it from an immigration lawyer is not what I would call a reputable source.  Not even first hand from unnamed immigration lawyer.  I have been doing research on my move for more than a year now and have talked to many "immigration" lawyers in Ecuador, and none of their stories match.

I would trust the government web site.  I found a good attorney, somewhat expensive, but her information matches the government web site.  Do your research.  It is a task changing residence.  No one is going to do it for you and finding the right people to help is also a task.   

My experience is that the Ecuadorian government is extremely efficient in getting information out.  The application of that information is another story.

What does one do if unable!e to get c!ear fingerprints for the FBI?

If one cannot get clear fingerprints in Ecuador, then one must return to the USA to get it done.

I just had my fingerprints done in Cuenca at the police station.

They take TWO FULL SETS of prints.  A lot of ink was used.

There  are other ways you can show the requisite income but it can take a little creativity. When I applied I only showed about $600 from SS as most of my income is from rentals an other investment so I had my friend, who manages some of the investments, to certify, in Spanish, another $600 monthly income.Notarized and apostilled, it worked fine. A friend, fluent in Spanish, helped me and we avoided the endless corrupt and incompetent lawyers

expatparrot wrote:

What does one do if unable!e to get c!ear fingerprints for the FBI?

Try again

Some people no longer have the necessary lines on their fingers because of ageing or activities that obscure them.

Personally, I submitted 5 sets of prints to the FBI. The technician knew that better prints could not be obtained and put a notation on each card.

Getting your fingerprints done in Ec is a new one to me.

Having recently done them, they HAVE to be on a designated, US, form

Once you do them, they have to be mailed from the states by a lawyer and are ONLY good for 6 months, not the fingerprints but the FBI report.

We used a guy in Manta, who dispite saying he had done VISAS for many years, screwed up continuously and caused us lots of money for nothing. He mailed docs to the states to be apostilled which you can not do. He also did not notice that our FBI report was 1 year old. BE CAREFUL We had to start all over and go back to the states to do so.

Individuals are not supposed to do VISAS anymore, only lawyers, but no one is enforcing this.

Do not trust just anyone to help you with obtaining your VISA

PS.   Never use the MIAMI consulate; lady there was mean, lied and never offered up any paperwork. She said we would also be in the states for about 4 months before we could return to EC. where we had pets and a job. MEAN woman We then used the DC office and they were excellent. The woman in MIAMI was so rude and the lady in DC was the EXACT opposite

CWV123 wrote:

We used a guy in Manta, who despite saying he had done VISAS for many years, screwed up continuously....He mailed docs to the states to be apostilled which you cannot do.  Individuals are not supposed to do VISAS anymore, only lawyers, but no one is enforcing this.

Some of the statements in the above post are inaccurate and I challenge them.

The poster says documents cannot be sent from Ecuador to the U.S. to be apostilled.

To obtain my visa last year, I downloaded my FBI report from an FBI channeler site on the Internet and mailed it to the State Department in Washington, where it was apostilled and sent to my attorney in Quito.

The other statement that is false is that individuals supposedly cannot do visas, only attorneys.

Expats who can afford it are normally best off to hire an experienced EC immigration attorney to assist in the visa process.

But hiring an attorney is not required.  It's not just a matter of non-enforcement of a rule.  The rule just doesn't exist.

If you post again to contradict these facts, CWV, kindly state your sources.

cccmedia in Quito