Pregnancy in Dublin

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Dublin?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Dublin?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice !

Christine

If you go private you can choose an obst/gyn yourself and usually baby and mom websites are great for checking out the best or not so good. I had to do it all on websites, finding out the best hospitals and how to go about things. You ring the hospital you think might be ok for you and you register the pregnancy. You would need a gp as well. The care you receive will be shared between the hospital and GPs. Your entire pregancy will be monitored between the GP and a consultant depending on where you live in the country. The best is not to be pregnant in the country. Services are poorer. You could get stuck on a cold, icy road with no transport to get you to hospitals in time. You might need to be airlifted. It has happened. I live 45 min away from the nearest maternity hospital and I had all my visits at a nearby clinic. The consultant comes out for a two weekly check if you live in a remote area.The first ultrasound and the only ultrasound is done at the hospital at around 12 weeks but thats not gauranteed. You could wait till  20 weeks for the first scan. I had most done privately. If you have money go private. You could still sit in full waiting rooms but at least you get the doctor you want. If you go public you get somebody you don't know. I went semi-private and had a room with 5 other moms. Not the best but the food was ok. This was the national maternity hospital. They are all the same in my oppinion. Short staffed and overworked like in most 3rd world countries. The Gp fees is paid for by the state for the pregnancy visits. Private and semi-private consultants are paid for by yourself or your health insurance. Make sure you have good health insurance. I had 6 months paid maternity leave, thats the best for ireland.

Hi sanbo,

Thank you for your help. :)

Hi...i thought I'd chime in after reading the other advice/experience because that frankly looks frightening!  After having 2 children in the States, I am now having my first baby in Ireland.  I am in Dublin so I can't speak about what it would be like in the country.
When I found out I was pregnant I went into a total panic because I knew NOTHING about the maternity system in Ireland and I was frankly worried about the level of care.  I think that a lot depends on what your expectations are...maybe where you come from and what you're used to in your medical system.  My advice would be to check out some online forums to see what hospitals are available in your area (I think www.rollercoaster.ie is a great source for baby info).  And then regarding how the system is structured (private, semi-private or public), The National Maternity Hospital's website is fairly informative (it is a lot of info and I found it slightly overwhelming at first since I had NO CLUE. This is the page regarding maternity care options.  And lastly, the National Maternity Hospital (aka Holles Street)  offers a nice "welcome to being pregnant in Ireland" book called Maternity. 
But of course as with like most things in Ireland....you will get the most information via word of mouth. 
I am confident after meeting with midwives, GP and consultant that the level of medical care I am receiving is as good as I would have received in the States.  That being said, updated facilities, bedside manner and any hope of hand-holding through this process from all the staff I have so far encountered is laughably nonexistent thus far.  But that has been every medical professional I've encountered in the 3 years being here....from what I understand, the priority here is on your physiological health and that alone.  As long as you understand these differences in the system going into it, you won't be shocked when you're waiting 2 hours for an appointment and are herded like cattle to see the consultants. 
One other point that is important to note is that the Catholic roots and influence is very apparent in the maternity system.  They simply don't check for abnormalities during the first trimester because in this system, you have no choice in the matter (as you might have in other countries).  Nor will the hospitals consult about anything resembling a "choice".  So far I am lucky to not have to encounter this aspect of the maternity system, but I have heard many a horror story.  Again....this isn't so much about the level of care - it is more about the priorities and ethos of care system.  Some might say it's not better or worse, but just different.
Hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for your help GentrySong!

Armand

All Irish Hospitals are facing severe budget cuts at present... Some are completely withdrawing these services.

Many doctors and medical staff are either retiring or emigrating for work abroad. Pregnancy in Dublin comes with high risks such as a lack of services and very expensive no matter what the circumstance.

Hospitals in Dublin are currently overcrowded and the experts did not recommended them for pregnancy.

My wife recently had her first baby in Britain because they offered excellent services and also free check-ups courtesy of the NHS.

Hello,
I have had all my children here except for my daughter who was born in Australia, I have found the coombe to be the best by far.

You go to your doctor and they will refer you to the hospital or you can ring the coombe/ or other hospital your self and make your first appointment. you can use health insurance or go public (Iv'e used public as no difference in level of care and you still have to wait around to be seen)

you get a scan at your first appointment, expect to be there for a good few hours booking in, a lot of form filling. after that you can do combine care between hospital/doctor or clinic

Good Luck and congrats :)

:one

Hello. i need your help guys. Im 29 weeks pregnant and i had my antenatal care in the philippines and im trying to get an appointment here in dublin. ive just been here for a month on a marriage visa and im just concerned how expensive it is to give birth here in dublin. I would be glad to hear any suggestions from you guys. Thanks.