Moving to the Maldives with a young child

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice/help please  :)

I've just applied for a job in the Maldives and they want to interview me.  Before I interview I wanted to do some research on the reality of moving from the UK to the Maldives with a young child (2 years). 
I am sure she would love it there, with the beaches and swimming, two of her favourite things, but I am wondering about nursery/nannies and pre-school and later schools.

Anyone done it before and can let me know their experience.  Or anyone living there now who knows about he education and health systems.

Also in the UK you take the national health service for granted and they are great with young children, you always get the best treatment.  How would it compare in the Maldives?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give, it will be appreciated :)
Rosie

The first question would be does the job enable dependents to accompany the work permit holder? Not all categories fall under the ability to be accompanied. The employer has to issue a "No Objection" letter when an application for a dependent visa is made.

Another issue may be taking your child if the father (husband) is not also present in the Maldives. Its a very strict Islamic country and they tend to apply rules in different ways that in the West.

Would you good to check these aspects out.

Hi Rosie,

We just spent nearly 2 years int the Maldives -- our son was 6 months when we arrived from the US. We lived in Male', so I can only comment about the life there.

Overall, we enjoyed our time but I'm not sure if we would necessarily return. Maldivians are some of the nicest, most hospitable people I have met (and I have traveled a fair amount), especially if you're with a baby/kid. That was by far the best thing about living there. Sometimes they can get TOO friendly -- pinching our son's chubby cheeks -- but I found that gently moving their hand away and telling them that "he's shy" tends to fix that problem.... :-)

Otherwise, your quality of your life will depend on essentially two things 1) if  you will be accompanied by spouse/partner/nanny/parent, anyone who can help you with child care. Don't count on finding a nanny in Male' -- it's very difficult, in fact nearly impossible, unless you bring one with you; 2) if your job will allow you (time and resources) to spend many weekend breaks at the resorts and/or Sri Lanka, i.e. if you can afford to get away from Male' on a regular basis.

I'll be perfectly honest -- without those two things I personally would not recommend anyone with kids to move to Male'. 

The city is very crowded, traffic is terrible and it's very difficult to walk (little or no sidewalks, almost no parks) -- essentially, during the week, you will spend very little time outside. The flip side is that if you can afford to go to the resorts on the weekends, it really does make up for it. You basically live on the beach for 2-3 days! Sri Lanka is also wonderful.

We lived on the main island, but if we were to do it all over again, we would definitely live on Hulhumale or Vilingili. In addition to being less crowded, it has a proper beach, which means that your little one can go swimming every day! But note, if you don't know already, that in the inhabited islands women must wear full, non-revealing clothing for swimming -- essentially, long, baggy shorts and a rashguard or other shirt with sleeves. No bikinis or other swimwear. Of course at the resorts anything goes.

Healthcare is mainly ok for routine things, colds, high fever, etc.... Pediatricians are a hit-or-miss, but in the end we found a good one, although I imagine for anything major, you would want to go abroad. Thankfully we didn't have to deal with that.

Our son didn't attend pre-school but from what we heard there is essentially only one option, Kangaroo Kids, and then for primary, Bilabong School. I think both have websites but I wouldn't be able to comment on them.

In short, it really depends on what you'll be doing there, but you really need proper support and regular getaways to enjoy it. Also make sure to follow  the news -- as you may know, the country is going through a bit of political turmoil at the moment, though it usually it doesn't affect foreigners that much.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Dan

Hi, Dear the first thing is about your child ( education and life style) which are on ground level in Maldives. Swimming and beaches are not enough to make your child's future but the future is in a good education,which you can't get in Maldives.. education in Maldives is overall on zero level as compared to other nearby countries. It's good time for you to think again you are living in a reputed country which is famous for educated and mannered people,, I'm afraid you're going to miss these things in here.. wc

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies. It definitely gives me a lot to think about/research.

My husband would be coming with me, but I'm not sure how he would feel about doing full time childcare.

I'm guessing that the pre-school and primary school are in male?

Thanks again and I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

Rosie

Hi dear,

I am living and working in Maldives more than 1,5 year. I am based in resort and I would never live in Male as it is not place to live for typical western people. If you are based in resort and working for international company you can have a nice life there but you need to take in consideration that resort life means working 6 days and only 1 day off - even for TOP management.

Maldives are 100% Muslim country and as it was mentioned in previous posts many westerners are under impression that moving here means enjoying beaches, swimming and drinks. None of it is really possible when you live in Male.  You can always visit the resorts for break but be ready to pay for it - even for day visit.

Happy to share more info if needed

Radka

Hello 👋

I have got an offer job to work in one of the resorts in Maldives, and i was wondering if moving with family is a good idea. I heard that rent is very expensive and there's no school for children, but I want to know if someone here had this experience ( i mean lived with family in Maldives). I would be grateful if you could share with me your opinion or your experience.

Thanks in advance

Hello simolamzahra,

Welcome to expat.com!

Kindly note that none of the members present on this thread is still active.

I invite you to follow the new thread that you have created Moving to Maldives with family. I hope that you will be able to find some information there.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]

Closed