Retirement

i will be retiring in about 3 years time and am seriously considering Egypt. Of course i would need to learn some arabic. i am single. With an income of $AUS33,000 would I be able to have a comfortable lifestyle with a reasonable flat / home, perhaps employing somone to look after me as I spend the evening of my life in this beautiful country. I am quite willing to live outside of Cairo. Visas/residence permit might be a problem. Any advice?

Welcome on Expat.com petermelb ;)

I hope that other members will contribute to your discussion soon.

Best Regards

Check on this topic on the forum: HOW DO I SECURE A PERMANENT VISA TO LIVE (NOT WORK) IN EGYPT?????

hello petermelb;

first of all thank you for thinking of our egypt as a beautifull country , as for your quiz you should be doing fine " financial wise" as i think it could help if you go through classifieds section in egypt " in this site " to have an idea about renting flats average & real states , car renting ,city cap companies websits .that will give you an idea about what level on how much .

I think you should come visit first, a "long" visit. :) That's my advice. ;)

I think its a comfort income to live and enjoy healthy life style.
When decide you will meet a lot of people welcoming you and provide assistance when needed.
Good luck.
IMIG

Kind direct me to which category.(forum: HOW DO I SECURE A PERMANENT VISA TO LIVE (NOT WORK) IN EGYPT?????
)
I tried to find it, but...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=59071

Geely, thanks. Found it.

take care - if you wish to be here in the twiligt of your life - no0one will look after you properly.
And if you are not aware and not vigilant - unfotunately the people doing the looking after will probobaly rob you blind.  Sad but true!
Also please take care - the medical side of things here is very different - and I must admit I wouldn't want to be living here when I am old with all the ailments that come with old age.

Getting a residence visa is easy if you purchase a property worth $50K US, with some restrictions.

If less? Like 200,000 LE?
Is getting visa a problem...

rosazman wrote:

If less? Like 200,000 LE?
Is getting visa a problem...

More like 350,000

what kind of a visa are you talking about? Residence? Yes it is not easy unless you qualify

Hi Peter
I think you could live very comfortable here in Egypt on your income. Average flay to buy in Cairo is around $50 to $60k. Or you can rent for approach $260 a month

I am sorry to disagree. I have found many international hospitals who provide excellent treatment
The big problem for Peter will be the communication. Arabic is very difficult to learn and as you get older learning becomes harder
I think Peter could find some nice people to share his twilight time with.

I think you could live very well here on that. I'm 71 and I live here at least six months of the year.  I bought a property here six years ago.  Renting is not expensive though. US$300 will get you a very nice one or two bedroom flat not too far from the sea.  Electricity prices will cost you about US$15-US$17 a month. You should be able to get a  residents Visa without too much hassle but I've never bothered to do so. I just extend my Visa when it runs out  and I get one year at a time  for about 150 Egyptian pounds.Prices are going up now,  that not by such an extent that they are making life difficult at all.  Tourism is decreasing..If you have any savings you could invest say hundred thousand US dollars in an Egyptian bank which will give you around 8 1/4% interest and you could live happily off that every month.  I do and don't need to touch my state retirement pension from England or my civil service pension.The quality of life are a foreigner here is not too bad at all. There is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables at almost giveaway prices. Beer is cheap, cigarettes are cheap and cost of eating out is a quarter of what it will cost you in London or probably Sydney. Life is quieter here too and not so hurried. You don't see any drunks, apart from the tourists who mainly stay in at hotels and get drunk anyway and you see very little violence will people shouting at each other. Transport is very cheap indeed. I don't have a car as I spend about US$20 equivalent a month on taxes and local buses. There are lots of good Western style supermarkets, where although the prices are much higher than in the Egyptian shops, you get  full range of imported goods and I think you will also get Fosters and Vegemite!!!
You need to be clued up on medical fees. If you have bought a property worth over US$50,000, a consultation with a doctor at one of the excellent hospitals in the e area where you live should be at Egyptian rates and currently this is about 65 LE per consultation. The cost of tests, blood test, urine  test stool tests, and ultrasound scans are no more than about hundred and 50 to 200 LE per test. if you don't buy a property and fall ill it can be absolutely crippling financially if you don't have insurance. I don't have it because it would be horrendously expensive at my age. So if anything serious goes wrong I would have to return to England. I've already had bouts of gastritis, but these were cleared up very quickly by the hospital by very competent and friendly doctors and for less than about $100 equivalent a  time. . All the doctors spoke  excellent English and you will find that a great many people do in Egypt – especially the more educated locals.
As in a any foreign country, you need to be careful with the locals, who will rob you blind if you don't watch out. But you soon get to learn what the real prices are. Ifyou don't drive, you find your own private taxi driver who won't cheat you, get to know the prices at the local Souk  and shop in the shops where the prices are fixed if you're not good at bargaining!
You are welcome to contact me off list if you want to and if you want to just reply to this asking me to contact you and I will find a way to send you  my email address.Perhaps we could go fishing one day if you choose to live where I am. Good luck to you!

Excellent reply

ironic. Westerners want to move to Egypt. Egyptians want to move to the west.

Not ironic at all  there are more Egyptians wanting to move to the West. Only a small few Westerners wanting to come to Egypt.

lynneroy2002 wrote:

Not ironic at all  there are more Egyptians wanting to move to the West. Only a small few Westerners wanting to come to Egypt.

I know that for sure. Egypt is a net exporter of humans

It's rather funny, you're an Aussie in Egypt, I'm an Egyptian moving to Australia

Believe me I am not here by choice anymore. I am here because of my husbands work. Where and when are you going to Australia?

lynneroy2002 wrote:

Believe me I am not here by choice anymore. I am here because of my husbands work. Where and when are you going to Australia?

Moving permanently to Australia by the end of this year. Haven't decided on a place yet but probably a suburb in the greater Sydney area

I am sure you will love it   I too Am  from Sydney

lynneroy2002 wrote:

I am sure you will love it   I too Am  from Sydney

I am so sick of big cities to be honest (in Dubai for 2+ years now)..... I love regional Australia. Few months ago I toured for 500+ KM on a motorbike through regional Australia. Nature, forests, and mountains are lovely. Rode through Mt. Tamborine, Canungra, Numinbah, Murwillumbah, Currumbin, Byron Bay, Lismore, Nimbin

I am going to start my business and will be working from home, in a year or two if most of my clients are remote (not many local/walk-ins), I will definitely buy a house in regional NSW and enjoy the greenery and scenery

Australia is the only country that I know of that you can actually make your dreams come true.  In saying that it's not as easy S it once was.  Things have changed dramatically in the last ten years.  I agree with you about big cities.  Give me the wide open spaces any day

Good Luck. And follow your dream

lynneroy2002 wrote:

Australia is the only country that I know of that you can actually make your dreams come true.  In saying that it's not as easy S it once was.  Things have changed dramatically in the last ten years.  I agree with you about big cities.  Give me the wide open spaces any day

Good Luck. And follow your dream

I'd take Australia's worst year over Egypt's best on any given day ...... Egypt today is at its all times low :(

Me Too!

Hello, good choice of Egypt, regarding visa will not be a problem at all as the immigration are very informative when you go there,beside being an Australian its not difficult to get visa or settling in Egypt to live. I've been in hurghada for almost 8 years and I have no problem at all,just take care yourself in everything and do not do things against the law. Cost of living in Egypt is cheap,anywhere in the world some things are expensive but you can do yours to conserve. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing the information and very helpful tips on living in Egypt. My wife and I would like to move to and live in Egypt in the very near future.  We are currently living in  Texas, USA.  We have a total retirement income of $1,800 US dollars per month and are wondering if this would be enough income to provide a comfortable living in Egypt. We are in our late fifties.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Your retirement income of $1800 should be sufficient to cover your basic monthly living expenses. Expect to spend more if you decide to do more than basic living like traveling, recreational activities and outings.

Hi depending where you live your monthly allowance would be ample. The newer areas like Maadi, New Cairo etc is where most expats choose to live. Cost of renting is more expensive. around old Cairo, Giza, Naser City is more cheaper.  Check out your accommodation before coming S this will determine your living costs

Thanks for the information!

Hi
i know several people who have stayed here into retirement, nearly all women and know women married to Egyptians who have reached that age. These women have grandchildren and Egyptian in-laws so you can see there is a fair mix. it really depends on you as a person.
at New Cairo there is a British Club as there is in Maadi and they have a German night I think mainly teachers. there another expatriate club the Ace in Maadi, the European in Heliopolis. these are all  Egyptian and expats. expat numbers are not huge but I  mentioned clubs as most of us need fellow expats at times. i know there used to be a website run by Germans.
how you live of course is up to you and rent etc etc but if you say £1000.0 you can live quite well. i have lived in several areas in Cairo and I moved to Maadi as I knew more people living there and socially there is more going on. if you are a church goer you can look at the churches.
Visas I think are for three months now look up on the net.
Anne
Best of luck

Good Luck

Planning on visiting soon to interview for teaching position in Cairo.  Goal is to eventually relocate and spend my retirement days in Egypt and teach part-time. Can I take you up on that fishing trip? My contact info:

Thanks!

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details + use the private message pls

Hi

You may want to consider a "suburb" of Hurghada like Makadi Bay. There are several nice developments and the  area has an international community and pristine seaside activities.

I'm from the US I'm retired here I have an outrageously gorgeous huge apartment very very affordable I have a servant that comes four times a week she gets something like $10 a day she's fantastic it's a great place to retire just worry about medicine and medical facilities those are really my only two problems cost of living is really not expensive I live in Margie