Canadian looking to retire in Ecuador

Somebody mentioned in one post I read, but cannot seem to find again,that International Living Magazine paints an rosy picture of life for Expats in Ecuador. Just how rosy??? I would really like to hear from Canadian Expats about their experiences in Ecuador, the good, the bad and the ugly! I am about to retire on a measly pension, that would be hard to survive on here at home. I need help!!
Sarah

Hello Sarah.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Ecuador forum.

Do not hesitate to browse the Ecuador forum. You might get some informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you Aurélie,
I am still working my way through this maze, so please pardon errors and feel free to guide me, when I get lost.
Thank you again,
Sarah

Hi Sarah
You need to see for yourself what a terrific place Ecuador is so I recommend you head there for a couple of weeks to see for yourself.
I did and I am heading back for good next year...you will not believe the great people, places and prices!
I have travelled Argentina, Colombia and Peru..Ecuador is my fave

Pensionado,
Thank you for your reply. I know that I really need to take the plunge and get a genuine feel for the place, but appreciate all the information I can glean from you and others, who have already beaten me to it.
I have really bad arthritis in my neck and will need a fairly dry climate in order to be reasonably comfortable. I thought the mountain valleys would be good, but I read someplace that it is dryer by the ocean, go figure. I suppose if those valleys are deep in a jungle, they could be pretty humid.
I look forward to hearing from you again and hope to hear from others from whose experiences I can benefit.
Sarah

as already mentioned below.Ecuador is a great place to retire to.
if you have arthritis stick to the coast...warmer and dryer.

then it depends if you want to meet lots of other Canadians, or north Americans, or mix in with locals.

there are several developments put in by Canadians, basically for Canadians, here on the coast.......

if you have more questions, don't hesitate

[Moderated: Please post in Jobs section]

Sarah are you retired ? and what do you want to do in your condition ?

I am retiring on Good Friday, 29 March 2013. It is with mixed feelings as I love the people I work with and hate to leave them, but the pain has forced my hand. I turned 65 last July, but kept hoping that the surgery done on my neck would be the answer. However, as I have weaned off the major drugs, I now know that this was just wishful thinking. I have tried massage therapy, chiropractic (for the lower back) and accupuncture - all of which provide short term relief only.
I have been told that the air is drier nearer the sea, I guess the interior is more jungle like and therefore more humid.
I have been looking at Ecuador, because I am told that it can be very inexpensive to live there and as I have not planned well for retirement, I will have precious little to live on after the end of March.

Sarah

Hello Sarah I`m so sad to hear your story, you need take a rest for your health . I`m a teacher and want to offer you a place where I live there .The place is Bali Indonesia .Bali is small island but a lot of tourist stay in Bali, for cost of living in Bali is not to expensive ,you can buy small house or rent I`ll to guide you ,

To SarahPin..I am also a Canadian forced to retire early (64) due to arthritis in both knees.  I subscribed to Int. Living just to get a feel for different locations.  Take a lot of their descriptions and prices with a large grain of salt and check for yourself.  I am seriously considering Cuenca and this is the best site for info that I have found. Check all the blogs here and find a gold mine of info.  Best of Luck.  Bryan

Thank you Bryan,
I was beginning to think there was something a bit fishy. Liv. as it would seem they are in it for the money with their seminars or whatever they call them. You've got to fly to these and then I guess they try to sell you some property in the place they are promoting.
I am having to retire at age 65 and although I would much rather stay, 'cause the folks here are great, terrific even, that nasty Mr. Arthur Itis is making life at work intolerable.
So, you think Cuenca is the spot for you. What has lead you to think this?
Sarah

Sarah,
I'm 78 and already "retired" --an attorney-turned-author. I've spent 3 years in Costa Rica and found that most of everything one reads re Central America and, I suppose, South America is mendacious PR.

There is a lot one must know before making plans.

Currently I'm  in Massachusetts, USA, but will be moving somewhere because I haven't enough money to remain here. I, too, have been scouring the Net about Ecuador.  I am also considering Greece,  where I lived half-a century ago and loved it.

My SKYPE number is 1-978-961-0079.  Typing takes too much time.
Barb
Barbara Johnson

Barbara,
Thank you for your reply. You must be more technologically in tune than I. I do not have Skype as,quite frankly, I cannot figure out how to use that system. I will ask my friend if he can guide me through the process.
In the meantime, I appreciate your assistance, but will have to keep typing for now.
Sarah
P.S. The Law must not be as lucrative as I thought. I am a clerical worker turned security guard,neither are highly paid professions.

Sarah,
Just dial the number as you would any other.
I wrote SKYPE--which I got when in Costa Rica -- in case you had it. You would have only to type my name.

Barbara,
It has to go through the computer does it not? My home computer is currently 'hors de combat', but as soon as it is fixed, I'll get my friend to show e how to use Skype.
Sarah

No. SKYPE goes through MY computer. But it goes just through your phone. You don't need a computer.  I use it, particularly now. I'm literally homeless, living in a former friend's house, and he doesn't have a landline. He uses only a cellphone. So I use SKYPE from my computer.
I've got to get out of here soon. Waiting for a few things to happen,, then I can get mydocuments -- copy of my birth certificate, a letter from the police (which will show I'm not WANTED), and certification by the Secretary of State (the Commonwealth of Massachusetts).

Yup, you're right. I never was one of the RICH attorneys.  I did a lot of pro bono work and lots of civil rights law.  Complicated.

978-961-0079.
Barb

Sarah..many things have lead me to Cuenca, cost of living, medical care but mostly this blog site.  I have talked to many interesting people here and picked a wealth of info.  I agree that the coast would be better for my arthritis but my wife can not handle a lot of heat so the mountain temps sound better for us and I think safer.  Bryan

Any expats out there who would provide my wife and I with the whole truth about retiring in Ecuador? I are retired and both have modest pensions and wish to leverage what we do have. We love warm places and wish to asimilate into the culture. We are open to change, wish to learn their language and we both appreciate and respect their culture. Health care and safety are obviously important, as well as safety. Please help!!!!!

Robert & Marsha

Rolllingstone wrote:

Any expats out there who would provide my wife and I with the whole truth about retiring in Ecuador?....Health care and safety are obviously important.

"The whole truth about Ecuador"?  That would take at least one entire book.  Fortunately, Brother Crowder has written one, available on Amazon.com Kindle with free Kindle reader: 100 Points to Consider Before Moving or Retiring to Ecuador.

Here are five concepts for now (not necessarily from Crowder's book):

1.  For optimal health care, look to the larger cities including Quito and Cuenca.  The Pacific Coast areas have smaller populations and haven't caught up with what is available in the big highland cities.

2.  Rent, don't buy property, at least for one year.

3.  Have a visa facilitator assist you in getting your residency visas unless you consider yourselves competent to take on a Spanish-language bureaucracy adept at tossing curveballs at unsuspecting Gringo visa applicants.

4.  Consider the possibility that both of you may not adjust to the altitude or the climate.  Quito, for instance, is at about 9,300 feet above sea level -- 4,000 feet above the altitude in Denver, the Mile High City.  The coast has many micro-climates, some of which may be suitable for you warm-weather lovers.  Just avoid the Puerto towns and backwater fishing villages from which it would be hard to get to quality health care...and where infrastructure is still lacking.

5.  It's recommended that you visit Ecuador before deciding to move here.  Remember, most Expats find that they need to know at least enough Spanish to handle daily transactions.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you very much ! Thank you very much!!!!  as Elvis would say. My wife and I appreciate your helpful pointers.

As a fellow Canadian from next door (Ontario), I can understand many of your concerns.  I also pleaded for help in making my decision and many good people responded with a great deal of aid and pointers.  If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.  It is better if you phrase things in question form rather than wanting general information about everything.

Please send me an e mail address so I can reach you direct re questions my wife and I have:   [email protected] and check out my web site:   photographieimmobilier-rcj.com   Thanks!

Excellent information for newbies.  Looking forward to my first visit this coming Fall and am hoping to prepare as much as possible in advance ... research, Spanish lessons, etc.  In the meantime, hoping to make some friends and contacts here - both those who have made the move to Ecuador and others who are in process like me.

Thank you!

Hello Stick 1947,

This question is for you because you live in Ontario like me.  Have you heard any reliable information re:  do English documents have to be notarized?  I am having them translated into Spanish and the translations will be notarized shortly.  But I have a great deal of confusion in my mind, because of the on-line consulate and not helpful helpline, about this notarization thing.  Is it required for the English docs?

Many thanks,à
HelenP

HelenP.  I went through a very good lawyer in Cuenca and she walked me through every step. This is the way  it went almost a year ago but Ecuador rules change constantly.
  First.  Gather all your needed documents and have them notarized.  Check them carefully for misspellings.
  Second.  You will need to take them in person to the Canadian Documents Department in Toronto and have a red stamp placed on them for a fee of course.
  Third.  Take same documents to the Ecuador consulate in Toronto and have another stamp on them.
  Fourth.  Scan and send all documents to said lawyer and have them translated IN Ecuador by the lawyer, who will also check very carefully for spelling errors.
  Fifth.  Come to Ecuador and work with lawyer to obtain Visa and Cedula.  Bring money and a great deal of patience.
Because my Canadian lawyer misspelled my last name and it wasn't caught in Canada, I had extra problems but my lawyer got all things done and I had my papers in 6 weeks.  I have heard that it is quicker in Quito but cannot confirm  this.
  I hope that this is some help to all Canadians interested in Ecuador but bear in mind that my information might be out of date by now.
  I don't know if I can post her name here but will try.  Andrea Jaramillo.   [email protected]
If this is removed then Email me direct at [email protected] with Ecuador in the subject line
   Good luck
      Bryan