Looking for information

Good afternoon

I am recently retired and my wife and I are looking for information regarding Ecuador as a possible retirement destination.

There appears to be a lot of information available online and I am not sure on what is accurate or just plain propaganda, hence my post. 

Where do I begin? Is health care affordable and of good quality?

Is English understood in many areas and what is the cost of living (apartment/groceries etc). 

What is considered a safe and affordable place to live?

thank you

rjlabelle65 wrote:

Is English understood in many areas and what is the cost of living (apartment/groceries etc).

Some English is spoken at a few fancy city hotels, tourist spots and occasional Expat gatherings.  But on a daily basis, it's Spanish all day every day, whether you're shopping for tomatoes or getting your laundry done or chatting with the security guard at your building.

Anecdotally, it's a rough and lonely go for a lot of the Expats who can't get it together to speak español.  They're cutting themselves off from the locals and from potentially-enriching experiences.  Some come to rely on a spouse or a bi-lingual local they befriend to an extent that damages their independence and leaves them in some ways helpless if the friend is not available.

For cost of living information, dial up numbeo.com and type in 'Ecuador' and a city name.  Or visit Expat.com Ecuador's Cost of Living thread.

cccmedia in Quito

rjlabelle65 wrote:

Is health care affordable and of good quality?

The minimum health-care program acceptable to Expats is the government's optional IESS program.  It is available to all Expats at a monthly cost of $73, slightly higher for a couple.

Quality varies by city.  We've had some highly positive reporting from Cuenca, for instance.  Meanwhile, the main IESS hospital in Guayaquil has become a publicized disaster that needs to be corrected.

We don't have enough anecdotal reports in yet on Quito to start making  a judgment on the quality of care.

As for comparing IESS costs with private health coverage:  I was paying $240 per month in premiums with private insurer Salud S.A. for medical-dental coverage until IESS relaxed its Expat participation policies last year.  So after switching to IESS, I'm saving almost $170 a month in premiums.  Also, if I need to use IESS services, there are no deductibles, no pre-existing-conditions exclusions, and medicines would be provided at no cost to me.  Salud was very different in these regards and never reimbursed  a penny for my medicines.

Many Expats do as I do:  use a private doctor for office visits, dental needs and routine care -- for the ability to make appointments at your convenience, and to choose your own doctor.  Pay the IESS premium to be covered in case of an expensive emergency and hospital care.

cccmedia in Quito

rjlabelle65 wrote:

What is considered a safe and affordable place to live?

In a word:  Cuenca.

Ecuador is generally a safe country, non-violent crimes of opportunity (pickpocketing and grab-and-go) notwithstanding.

Stay out of the danger zones and you should be OK.  These include:

-- Guayaquil

-- South Quito

-- Any of the "pandillero zone" border areas near Colombia.  The U.S. State Department won't even allow Embassy personnel to visit near the COL border on their days off.

I would avoid living in an isolated situation.  It pleases me that my building has 24-hour security at the entrance.

cccmedia in Quito

If you are a minimalist, then what you read about prices being lower will be mostly consistent.

Few things that caught me off guard though:

1) Electronics, furniture are more expensive. It's not like the US where you can just get a free couch on craigslist and fill your whole house up for under $100. But most of the stuff that fills a standard US house is mostly unnecessary anyways. A lot of other stuff is more expensive too like gym equipment and just a bunch of other non-basic, non-essential items. Taxis are cheaper. Gas is cheaper.

2) Taxes. What will I be responsible to pay (e.g double taxation if I'm self-employed)? This probably won't apply to you though if you are living off your pension.

3) Online shopping. It's not like the US where you can just easily order from amazon or ebay. There will be much higher shipping, tariffs, duty fees, and/or other complications. I've never tried it.

4)Specialty items. You probably won't be able to find many specialty items. For example, if you want a very specific supplement you probably won't find it here.

5) Basic food-produce is much cheaper (which is all man lived off for tens of thousands of years). However, imported food is expensive. This includes packaged food.

6) Price differentials. If you don't know the language and/or look like a foreigner, then it may be difficult to find a place at the local prices. You also will probably will quoted higher on everything from food to taxi fares. You may get sick of it and not want to go to any stores after you find one or two that give fair pricing. It can feel dehumanizing to be honest.

Finally, there are a lot more pros than cons to living here which is why I stay. But in response to your question I focused on things that caught me off guard rather than talking about the pros.

wlae84 wrote:

Taxes. What will I be responsible to pay (e.g., double taxation if I'm self-employed?)

Although the IRS taxes U.S. citizens on worldwide income, the first $100,800 earned abroad is normally tax-free.

Looking to possibly move to Ecuador and would like to know what visas and other requirements for entry beside passport they might have.  This would not be a work related visa.  Thanks

berland wrote:

Looking to possibly move to Ecuador and would like to know what visas and other requirements for entry beside passport they might have.  This would not be a work related visa.  Thanks

1. "For entry":  Citizens of the U.S., Canada and well over 100 other countries may enter on a tourist T-3 stamp for 90 days. 

2. Extension: Such visitors typically can extend 180 additional days after arrival in Ecuador.

3.  "Not a work related visa":  The most popular immigrant visas for arriving Expat retirees are based on a minimum monthly income of $800 in pension-type income, or $900 for a couple ... or a bank certificate-of-deposit of $25,000 and up.  The document requirements are listed at the EC government's English-language visa web pages, reachable via www.cancilleria.gob.ec/?lang=en ... There is no minimum age requirement for these visas.

4. Various limited, non-resident visas are available to students, volunteers and certain contract workers, and are often valid for one year.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks for the info.  I was looking up info on the web which stated that in Ecuador you didn't require a visa, but then decided I had better ask someone who has gone thru the process.
Was first looking at Paraguay but now looking for a country that's a bit cooler, degree wise.  About personal electronics
such as small computer, disc player.....any import tax?   Do you have to get your visa before entry?
Appreciate any information...Thanks, Brian

berland wrote:

I was looking up info on the web which stated that in Ecuador you didn't require a visa, but then decided I had better ask someone who has gone thru the process.  About personal electronics such as small computer, disc player.....any import tax?   Do you have to get your visa before entry?

USA and Canadian citizens (and those of most countries) receive a tourist stamp upon arrival at Quito or Guayaquil airport.  No fancy application or fee.  It is good for 90 days.

You may bring in a small computer or a disc player in your airplane luggage without any penalty.  If you start bringing in multiple electronics (meaning more than one of any particular device), it is possible the dogs of SENAE will notice and take their pound of flesh.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks.  Is there any site for rentals....one bedroom apts?

berland wrote:

Thanks.  Is there any site for rentals....one bedroom apts?

There is no shortage of websites offering fancy apartments at fancy prices.  Not recommended to do it this way if you want to see what you will be getting, and prefer to pay lower, market prices.

The tried-and-true plan is to stay in a hotel for two or three days while you use shoe leather and the classifieds to get a place in a neighborhood of your choice.

Save even more by renting unfurnished if you plan to be here for more than a few months.

Inexpensive, secure rooms are always available in Quito (except during holiday weekends) at the well-located Hotel Ambassador, 9 de octubre y Colón.

cccmedia in Quito

OK, Thanks.  have to brush up on my Spanish ....right now I know about enough to get me in trouble LOL

Good advice pero what to do to explore the coast and what part? Playas? Bus seems ok dont know about car rental, if similar to Cuba I would avoid. In reality I would prefer to stay (6 months) near the coast not too far from Guayaquil where my love stays. And last what about casas particular rentals afordable for a long stay?
Thanks in advance I appreciate your posts.

Majito wrote:

Good advice pero what to do to explore the coast and what part? Playas? Bus seems ok dont know about car rental, if similar to Cuba I would avoid. In reality I would prefer to stay (6 months) near the coast not too far from Guayaquil where my love stays. And last what about casas particular rentals afordable for a long stay?
Thanks in advance I appreciate your posts.

Yeah, Playas sounds like your spot. Close to Guayaquil, about the best climate on the coast. Downsides are that it can be a noisy annoying town on the weekends, and there are very few expats. It's the weekend party beach for people from Guayaquil. Puerto Engabao, a few minutes north of Playas is a tiny fishing village with a nice little surf break. It attracts expat surfers. If you like the quiet slow life, it's a good spot, but you'll have to go to Playas for shopping and the one restaurant in town wasn't good. Even Salinas isn't too far from Guayaquil. You will be fine just bussing around the coast.

Thanks a lot for the info, sound good I'm a slow lifer with no attracts for expat gangs. Now I just read the main concern on this forum vs the french forum which is silent about this: El Nino 2015
Should I reconsider moving on the coast this winter even if I am risky by nature?

Not sure how the el niño will effect the Playas area. It's normally a dry area. I'd avoid living near a river or low bank waterfront, just in case.

Majito wrote:

I just read the main concern on this forum... El Niño 2015....
Should I reconsider moving to the coast this winter even if I am risky by nature?

Yes, reconsider.

No one can predict the El Niño specific-effects on any community.

But based on forecasting and the emergency-preparedness meeting last Saturday in Olón, the 2015-16 El Niño could give new meaning to the term underwater real estate.

This is the one time AMDG might be correct -- in your case move away from the coast and toward your lady in Guayaquil.

Update/clarification -- Based on helpful comments by Jesse Kimmerling later in this thread, I am compelled to add that people should avoid residing in any known flood-zones to the extent possible during an El Niño season.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia, you might want to look at Guayaquil's history of flooding before advising people to move there in an el niño year.

Short of moving to the highlands, everybody near the coast is at risk for the brunt of El Niño in coming months.

Granted that Guayaquil, a 90-minute ride in decent weather going East from the Pacific Coast, is not an ideal location in an El Niño year.

But given the two choices that Majito offered and given that his loved one is there, I stand by my choice of Guayaquil over being right where the ocean waves hit the shore.

I agree with anyone who says that safety-wise, moving to the highlands would be better than residing in GYE or any coastal area of Ecuador in an El Niño time.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Short of moving to the highlands, everybody near the coast is at risk for the brunt of El Niño in coming months.

Granted that Guayaquil, a 90-minute ride in decent weather going East from the Pacific Coast, is not an ideal location in an El Niño year.

But given the two choices that Majito offered and given that his loved one is there, I stand by my choice of Guayaquil over being right where the ocean waves hit the shore.

I agree with anyone who says that safety-wise, moving to the highlands would be better than residing in GYE or any coastal area of Ecuador in an El Niño time.

cccmedia in Quito

It's el niño, not a hurricane. If you are out of the flood zones and low bank waterfront, you're fine. Nasty wind and rain? Yes. Disaster for those that are on high ground? No. Rivers are going to be the biggest problems. I'm concerned about Rio Canoa. I haven't built my house yet, but the river is about 200 meters behind my property. It'll be interesting to see if it takes out the land behind my lot.

Well according to what I have read and what she told me the coast line with El Nino  is kind of safer than to live as an expat in Guayaquil..... dangerous even for locals

Majito wrote:

Well according to what I have read and what she told me the coast line with El Niño is kind of safer than to live as an expat in Guayaquil....dangerous even for locals.

The crime stats for GYE are ugly.  Express kidnappings have been up around 50 per month for long stretches in recent years (source...Diálogo).

A safer, well-guarded, upscale sector in the city is Sambo, short for Samborondón.

Due to crime, heat, humidity and distance from the ocean, I normally recommend against Guayaquil for Expats even in non-El-Niño years.  My earlier comment that it's better than the Coast during El Niño was faint praise at best.

cccmedia in Quito

Seems even Señor CCC can be right once in a while……..
Guayaquil has it's danger for native and gringo alike…….Samborodon is safer, however much of the same evil crime happens here, and it seems to be increasing…….
Now I lived in Guayaquil (Sur) for 3 years before moving to Samborodon……IMHO, it is possible to live in both, keeping risks to a minimum……
Flooding happens in a few parts of Guayaquil every year, with an El Nino, it will be worse………the parts that flood are the same year, after year.
As for beach living, still an option, just a little away from the beach, on slightly higher ground, and away from unstable hillsides……..this leaves many areas.
Salinas and Ballineta are still close to Guayaquil…..
I do not share Señor CCC's distinction about Guayaquil for gringos….the criminals seem to be equal opportunity human filth that need to be terminated.

AMDG wrote:

Seems even Señor CCC can be right once in a while. 
Flooding happens in a few parts of Guayaquil every year.  With an El Nino, it will be worse....The parts that flood are the same, year after year.
As for (Pacific Ocean) beach living, still an option, just a little away from the beach, on slightly higher ground, and away from unstable hillsides……..this leaves many areas....
I do not share Señor CCC's distinction about Guayaquil for gringos….The criminals seem to be equal opportunity human filth....

Actually, based on historic news-reporting from Guayaquil, I agree with AMDG that Gringos and locals alike have been victimized by the malditos of Ecuador's largest city.

That I specifically mention GYE Gringos or Expats being at risk .. is merely a function of this being a thread of Expat.com.

Thank you, AMDG, for giving us added perspective about the flood-prone areas of the city and the instability of hillsides. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

Majito,

One thing I would recommend caution with, is information from questionable sources. Especially on the internet.

While the web is a great source for "General Information", I would not put 100% faith in any ad, post, blog etc. that would involve money, or safety. I would offer that this site Expat.com, can be a very good and reliable source of factual information.

As with anything you must keep in mind that people who are in tune with things, will repeat the same "truths" continuously. While others will offer little basis on fact and often confuse their own primary thought.

There are many Expat sites out there, not being an internet troll, I have not viewed even most, but I can say that I am here because, a majority of the information found here is factual. The aspect I like best here, is that in the event a questionable post is made, there are posters who will swiftly question the veracity, and will silence any propaganda or false advertising. 

Lets face it, a site like this is intended to be a reliable source of information, for potential Expats as well as seasoned ones. While there are some who find entertainment in semi coherent ramblings based on opinion, I am not one of them and do not find that to be the case with this site.

'' I am here because, a majority of the information found here is factual. The aspect I like best here, is that in the event a questionable post is made, there are posters who will swiftly question the veracity, and will silence any propaganda or false advertising.  ''

Me too and I dont take opinions for granted. I even follow the french forum on Ecuador but people on it dont give as much info as here. Maybe less expats. I leave at the end of October so I have time to get info and consider my options. Anyways it would be foolish to rent a casa from here. I intend to go, meet my love and then spin around the country for a few weeks to feel the grounds. Nothing better than to be on the terrain. And in the case winter over there gets real bad there is always the option to take a plane to Cuba or Central america if possible. Finally, in any case, cant be worst than to be stuck in the snow in Canada at -25C!!!

Many thanks to you guys and I found the idea of mentors more than interesting. It is a necessity and if people who have time can follow the idea.....  :top:

Majito wrote:

in the case winter over there gets real bad there is always the option to take a plane to Cuba or Central america if possible.

Yes, it's good to have a backup plan.

However, don't anticipate that Central America won't be affected by El Niño.  I was in Costa Rica during El Niño season in the late 90s and that strong El Niño was a major weather factor.

If you go to Central America during a serious El Niño period, stay far from the Pacific Coast.

cccmedia in Quito