Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Hi Sidewalk Surfer,

It's supposed to be within 6 months of the Birth Certificate being issued according to law.

That said, if the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in South Africa will legalize the on you have then it is really all you need. Once legalized by the Consulado the Cartório MUST accept it, they have no choice.

If once the Consulado receives the document, should they decline to legalize it then you would need to apply for a new Long Form Birth Certificate. That's the Birth Registration that shows not only your name, dob and place of birth, but also your parents' full names, dob, place of birth, etc.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The birth certificate that I have in my possession is the long form one with all the extended info.

'Once legalized by the Consulado the Cartório MUST accept it, they have no choice.'

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you! The Brazilian consulate here is very helpful and understanding and they have assured me they will legalise the one I have presented to them on my last visit.

Also: Since I posted, my fianceé called the Cartório and they have confirmed that they will accept the legalised one once stamped by the consulate in Cape Town.

So that's a massive relief for us.

Thanks again. I will no doubt come back if I have another question. I really appreciate it.

Hello James! I wish you  long live always. I have been getting necessary documents and everything seems to go well out here. I have difficult finding the model invitation latter'.  The person who wishes to write the invitation letter to me and I don't know which documents and process to follow; it is the reason why I am writing to ask for assistance again. Thank you James

yes in circiuma have indian store

Hi james
             I already register my marriage in Certidao De Registro Especial now i have completed my all necessary documents, now i have to apply for permanent visa .i am bit confuse that i have to apply online for my visa and what is RNE and what is CIE ,i don't know about it kindly guide me ,and is it possible i directly go to federal police and i get form for my visa from office and fill and sing and pay fee you told on other form that three step have to do at same time now ,if you tell me what is my first step and second and third i really thanks

The RNE is actually the (personal) number that you are assigned in the Federal Police database. The CIE (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro) is your Civil ID card, most people actually confuse this and call it the RNE but it's not. While it will show your RNE number on it, the RNE after all is just your file number.

You start out by filling out this form from the Ministry of Justice website (must be typed or hand written):

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … todipe.pdf

Then you go to the Federal Police website and fill out all the online information, schedule your visit online (in smaller cities there are no appointments you just go once you've filled out everything), generate and pay the GRUs for the fees, etc. and then take all that and the required documents to the Federal Police when your appointment date rolls around.

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … -e-anistia

That's about it.

Cheers,
James

Hello I'm Rasvi from Sri Lanka

I like to know what are the documents i need to bring from sri lanka and certified from brazil embassy in sri lanka and my country foreign ministry.

1.Birth certificate (Get certified from  Brazil embassy in my country and certified from foreign ministry of my country )

question for this after certified can i translate the Birth  certificate in portuguese in brazil or do i need to do in my country ?

2.Single material status certified from Brazil embassy in sri lanka how do i get this single status where do i get in my country that also do i need to translate in Portuguese is it possible do in brazil translation matter for all documents if i bring certified from my country of brazil  embassy ?

3.Criminal report get certified from Brazil embassy in my country and do i need to get certified from sri lankan consulate in brazil too?

along with my passport these are the documents do i need to bring from my country?

is it possible all these documents if i bring can't I get certified in brazil ?

Best regards
Rasvi

The documents and process are described fully in the very first posting on this topic.

Asking for help URGENTLY -- THANK YOU!

Hi James,

Thanks for your detailed blogging. I understand for people who is going to Brazil to get married, he/she needs to apply for the VITUR Tourist Visa. In my case, I flied to Brazil in the early of this year, submitted all my documents to the Civil Registry. Our request has passed the “marriage bann” and we've already got the permission. The last pending step is that I need to show up within 90 days after passing the “marriage bann” and sign the paper documents in person (this is what I've informed, I mean, it has to be “in person” if without any Power of Attorney to other people).

Therefore, in order to complete this process, I've applied the VITUR Tourist Visa in China again. However, two weeks after I submitted my visa application, the embassy informed me to have an interview another two weeks later. Now my original plan has been delayed, what's more, I'm having a serious concern -- that should I tell the embassy that I'm going to Brazil to finish my marry process? Coz I don't want my case treated as potential immigration or whatever and my application is rejected in the end. Or you can reframe my question as – is it normal and acceptable for the embassy to grant you the VITUR tourist visa for people to go to Brazil to get married, especially for Chinese? Any other better solutions?

Thank you and anxiously looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Ying

hello sir,
i am from India and i love someone she lives at Wenceslau Braz, Parana, Brazil. i want to come there and want to marry . but i don't know that what is requirements there by Brazil Govt. What kinds of documents i need. please also tell me that what documents formality also required in my Own country India. i am unmarried. and have a valid passport. please tell me whole process to get a visa and all other.
please help me soon because can't possible to live without her. i love her very much. also tell me that what will be total cost of this process. because i need pre-planning for it. neither i nor she rich person. we both are poor. but for love i will do anything.

Hello sureshtakar,

If you go back to the very first posting on this topic thread, it explains fully the process of getting married in Brazil and all the documents you need in order to get married in Brazil. Not only that, but it also explains all the documents you're going to need for the subsequent application for permanency in Brazil. It's all right there, don't need to do it all over again.

If you have read any of my other postings, especially Visas and immigrations rules for citizens of India and Pakistan you are going to see that it is NOT going to be easy for you to obtain a visa of any kind that will allow you to stay in Brazil long enough to get through the marriage process which takes from 30 to 45 days even if all the documents are perfectly in order, you have them all and submit them to the Cartório immediately upon arrival in Brazil.

Unless you have already had one visit to Brazil and previously received a VITUR Tourist Visa then it is highly unlikely that you would be granted a visa that would permit anything other than one single visit with a stay of from anywhere between 7 to 30 days maximum. Only on subsequent applications following one successful visit to Brazil and returning home to India would you be considered for a longer visa. Unfortunately that is just the way it is.

To apply for a visa for Brazil you need to do it through either the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Mumbai or New Delhi (whichever has jurisdiction over the city where you live). You can get all the information needed from the Consulado's website in Mumbai at:

http://mumbai.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/

Click on VISAS and read all of the information there.

My advice to you is really to find a way for your girlfriend to come to India and get married there in India and register the marriage with the Consulado, it's going to be a great deal easier to do it that way and then you can apply for permanency (based on marriage) at the Consulado there in India. That is what most citizens of India end up doing because getting married here is almost impossible.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

thank you very much sir for providing me information about it. i will contact in Mumbai office as soon as possible.

hi James ,
               I got my permanent visa really thanks a lot for such a good information ,

thanks
haseeb

Hi Haseeb,

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Good to hear that I've helped out in another success story. Now the real challenge just begins... improving your Portuguese and blending into Brazilian society, getting a good job and making a success of life often is more difficult than obtaining permanency. Let's hope that all of this goes just as well as the permanency!!!

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

HI

Hi james
              I online checked for my CIE Status its showing FAB / DICRE / CGPI , can you please tell me whats mean ?
Data:                              04/05/2015
Hora:                              07:14
Recebimento:                    CONFIRMADO EM 04/05/2015
Destino:                            FAB/DICRE/CGPI
Responsável:                   N`O INFORMADO
Despacho:                   CAIXA 21072 CARTEIRA EMITIDA DIA 04/05/2015

thanks

It means that your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro has been produced today, it may still take a few weeks for it to get back to the delegacy where you applied for it, but you can start checking with them every couple of days to see when it actually arrives.

hi James
             Thanks for your answer on my last topic,i want to make my new driving license ,and i go to police civil in Santa Catrina they told me that i have to translate my Pakistani driving license ,My problem is this my Pakistani driving license is not verifiable in Pakistani police,So what you suggest me ?should i translate this driving license and give it to police to make my new driving license ,in future any problem for me ?

You don't give it to the police. You get driver's licenses from DETRAN - Santa Catarina. You need to check with them if you can do the usual translate and trade that can be done with a DL from other countries.

Hi James
              But they told me this is necessary to give them my Pakistani driving card ,

So lucky we don't have lots of problem applying for Visa and permanent residency here in brasilia, thanks for all my friends and the people working in BR-Visa for all the information. Ate logo.

I am reviewing all documents and requirements prior to my appointment at the policia federal this week. I see on the dpf website the requirement for a Declarao de que nap sent encontram seperados de fato out direito, assinada pelo casual, com firm as reconhecidas. It is not listed in the first thread of this post. Can you help me understand what this is and how do we produce this document. Thanks for being here everyone I know who has gone through the VIPER process seems to have forgotten much of it.

The "Declaração de não se encontra separados de tato ou judicialmente" is a decalaration form that you should go pick up from the DFP before your scheduled visit. They have a fill in the blanks form, you fill it out declaring that you are neither separated or divorced, take it to the Cartório and have your signatures notarized (IMPORTANT, you need to have this done by RECONHECIMENTO DA FIRMA POR AUTENTICIDADE) that is the only kind the Federal Police will accept.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts

Dear James,

First of all thank you for all your information it was really helpful. I have some questions about  LEGALIZED  birth certificate, Divorce decree and  Certified Criminal Record Check . My case is a bit complicate but let me explain, Already I am working as a chef in Country of Georgia, I am the residence and have my work here and I could not go to my country(Iran) for almost four years. I got married with Georgian citizen and now divorced but I want to get marry with a Brazilian girl and need to know if I can make to start the process in the country of Georgia to make my birth certificate, divorce decree and certified criminal record Iegalized or I have to go to the country I belong?

Hello amirali2,

No, your Birth Certificate will have to be from Iran, and issued within 180 days prior to submission to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Iran for legalization. Also you will need a Certified Criminal Record Check from Iran, issued no more than 90 days before submission to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Iran for legalization.

Since you have been living in Georgia for a number of years, you will ALSO need a Certified Criminal Record Check from Georgia, with must be legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Georgia within 90 days of being issued.

Your Divorce Certificate (or final Decree of Divorce) in Georgia must be issued within 180 days prior to being submitted to the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Georgia for legalization.

So you've got to deal with two governments, and two different consulates because the documents must all be legalized by the consulates in the country in which those documents are issued. You will need to contact whichever government agency in Iran deals with Vital Statistics to find out how you can apply for a Birth Certificate and if you can do that by mail or through a third party (perhaps an attorney) since you can't go there personally.

You will need to contact the Federal Police in Iran to find out how to go about obtaining a Certified Criminal Record Check, and if that can be done from another country. If they allow you to request the check from another country, it will involve you having to go to the police in Georgia and have them take your fingerprints, sign and stamp the fingerprint card and then send the request to the police in Iran.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James
               Thanks for your all Support,Yesterday i got my CIE card from D PF and also my Trabalho book , now we both going to Brasilia to USA embassy for tourist visa last time i ask you please guide me that what documents i should carry for USA visa ,we both want to spend over vacation at Las Vegas, and New York My question is this that  we both have to fill up one application as husband wife or we have to fill up two application forms .and my bank account is new in Santa Catrina and not have much money in my bank account but my wife have sufficient balance for travel, i have to attach her bank statement or also my ?and what else documents require to get visa

regards
Haseeb

Hello Haseeb,

You will need your passports, your CIE and her RG, bank statements, marriage certificate and that should be about it.

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the awnser dear James.

Today in Georgia I went to the Embassy of Iran and they told me I can take it from the police of Georgia because I am more than 2 and half years in Georgia and I am the Residence of Georgia.

My visa is 90+90 days and the first 90 days will expire 10th July. do you think if I go in June is that possible to stay in Brazil with stable visa? What about residency? Can I Take residence permit with stable visa? If I and my  future wife prove that we decide to marry? Because I am worry about time.

For the stable visa I need criminal records also .. but do I need again if I want to get residence permit prove another criminal records? Because as far as I know criminal records is available just for 90 days. Which is makes me worry

For a VIPER União Estável Permanent Visa, the relationship must have existed for a minimum of ONE YEAR, living together as a couple and it must be proved by various documents, such as a joint bank account, rent contract or property deed showing both names, income tax declaration showing both names, etc., all of these documents must be at least ONE YEAR OLD.

So what about if we had live together for a year, because I work another country but I go and meet her every few times... Awh it's very complicated :) May I have your contact then my girlfriend can contact you and she can explain better about all the process:)

DEAR James,

Sorry to bother you again.. but do you know if is that possible my Girlfriend comes to Georgia and we get marry in the embassy of Brazil in Georgia?

If she can come to Georgia, you can get married anywhere that does weddings, church, court, registry, etc., then she only needs to register the marriage at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Georgia.

Hello, I really need help as I have tried with the Brazilian General Consulate in London and didn't get any answers from them. I am a Brazilian married to a British citizen and we can not find out if one of the requirements to get a spouse visa for Brazil would be that I as the Brazilian citizen would have to prove any financial resources to be able to get my husbands spouse visa and have him living in Brazil with me. I haven't been working for the last 4 years so I can not and I do not have a prove of income, my husband doesn't have any savings and we don't have a place to live in Brazil either a part from my parents house. Could you please give me some clarifications on financial requirements to get a spouse visa to live in Brazil. Do I have to prove I can support him? Many thanks. Renaandrews

You should simply register your marriage with the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in London. If your husband holds a UK passport then he does not need a visa to enter Brazil as a tourist. He would be able to stay for an initial period of 90 days which can be extended for another 90 days.

Once here he can apply for permanency definitiva based on marriage here through the Policia Federal. You won't need to produce any details regarding income at all. He should make sure all of his documents are ready before leaving the UK and if he has no previous criminal record, then he DOES NOT need a Certified Criminal Record Check, it is now redundant, he will be able to obtain a "Declaração Sob Pena da Lei de Não Condenação" form from the Policia Federal.

See the following two topic threads:

IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

How to register a marriage to a Brazilian citizen outside Brazil

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Haseeb4u3 wrote:

hi james

thanks
haseeb

Priscilla:

Ola, Eu vou me divorciar esse mês e gostaria de tirar algumas dúvidas. Quando o divórcio é assinado, o cartório dá uma escritura que diz que sou divorciada, com essa escritura eu dou entrada na certidão com o divórcio averbado. A minha dúvida é se apenas com esse primeiro documento, a escritura, eu posso me casar ai na embaixada, se esse documento serve de comprovante que eu sou divorciada ou se eu preciso realmente aguardar os 30 dias, após assinado divórcio para ter a certidão de averbada do divórcio e não apenas a escritura . Grata e no aguardo da resposta.

amirali2 wrote:

Priscilla:

Ola, Eu vou me divorciar esse mês e gostaria de tirar algumas dúvidas. Quando o divórcio é assinado, o cartório dá uma escritura que diz que sou divorciada, com essa escritura eu dou entrada na certidão com o divórcio averbado. A minha dúvida é se apenas com esse primeiro documento, a escritura, eu posso me casar ai na embaixada, se esse documento serve de comprovante que eu sou divorciada ou se eu preciso realmente aguardar os 30 dias, após assinado divórcio para ter a certidão de averbada do divórcio e não apenas a escritura . Grata e no aguardo da resposta.

As this is an ENGLISH speaking forum could you please post in ENGLISH only so the others can understand your post.
Thank you.

My girlfriend  will  finally divorce after three years this month" She is Brazilian".. She wants to know When the divorce is signed, the notary gives a scripture that says she is divorced with this scripture she gives input in the certificate endorsed with the divorce. Her question is if she wants get married with me at the embassy of Brazil in Georgia, if the document serves as proof that she divorced or if she really needs to have the divorce certificate . Grateful and awaiting response.

I am a permanent resident  based on marriage. I have copies of all the necessary documents for a work permit. I am in the Zona Sul district of Rio de Janeiro. Will the Poupa Tiempo in Ipanema process my work permit application, or must I go to the Ministerio de Trablho offices in Rio's Centro district ?

The only place that you (as an expat) will be able to apply for a Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS is the Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho - MTE, I presume that's in Rio (Centro).

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team