Necessary to buy round-trip ticket to qualify for tourist visa?

Hi!

I am planning on traveling to Brazil through a home stay English tutor program (GeoVisions) for 3 months. Do I have to buy a round trip ticket in order to get approved for the tourist visa? I think I want to renew and stay longer, but I'm not 100% sure, so I don't know how I want to handle my return yet. Is there any circumstance under which one could get approved for a tourist visa with only a one-way ticket?

Thanks in advance,

Marcia Philatre

You will need a ticket leaving the country. It doesn't have to be a round ticket or a ticket back to your home country. It can be a bus ticket, plane ticket, boat ticket...just something showing that you're leaving Brazil.

If you're really not sure when you want to leave, my suggestion is to buy a one way ticket to Brazil and purchase a "throw away" bus ticket out of Brazil. This is what I did in the past and there weren't any problems. I can't remember the exact cities/towns I chose, but they were border towns of Brazil and Argentina.

The only small complication is that bus companies in Brazil require a CPF number (similar to a social security number) in order to purchase tickets. But there are 3rd party websites that offer to purchase the tickets for you without the CPF number, at a slightly higher price.

Overall, it's a pretty cheap solution and (in my opinion) the best thing to do if you're unsure about how long you're going to stay.

I should add that you will need a visa to the country that you have an onward ticket to (if a visa is required to visit that country)

Keep in mind that Americans now need a visa to visit Venezuela, I know some websites haven't updated this.

Well, now I know who I'm going to call on if I ever decide to go on vacation far from computers!

Couldn't have said it better myself, Joe!

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team