Recommendations on a good SUV

Hello,

I am planning to buy an SUV but still not sure which one to buy. At the moment I have shortlisted the Toyota Fortuna, the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and the Kia Sorrento. I need something that can deal with the mountainous areas surrounding Bandung City. The Toyota seems a bit dated and bulky, the Pajero Sport has not much headroom and is smaller inside than it appears, and the Sorrento has great features and comfort but a lower resale value. Any opinions?

I'd go with the Fortuna unless you have a larger family in which case I'd go with the Kijang which has been our choice for over 15 years.  The beauty of both is that they are much less expensive to maintain over the years, and most any mechanic can work on them (after your warranty has expired).  Also, they both hold high re-sale values.

As we are often in the central mountains we opted for the 2000 cc engine even though they are taxed higher.  The extra power is well worth it.

Ubudian wrote:

I'd go with the Fortuna unless you have a larger family in which case I'd go with the Kijang which has been our choice for over 15 years.  The beauty of both is that they are much less expensive to maintain over the years, and most any mechanic can work on them (after your warranty has expired).  Also, they both hold high re-sale values.

As we are often in the central mountains we opted for the 2000 cc engine even though they are taxed higher.  The extra power is well worth it.

Yup the Fortuna is still a high possibility. Can't deny that all your points for getting a Toyota make sense.

Neither will be much good on the narrow roads that are so common in Indonesia.
I see these overgrown tanks every day, always stuck to the point they block the roads when two meet.
One of the larger whateveritwas, was so wide, it took the whole road to the point a motorbike didn't have room to get past.

mas fred wrote:

Neither will be much good on the narrow roads that are so common in Indonesia.
I see these overgrown tanks every day, always stuck to the point they block the roads when two meet.
One of the larger whateveritwas, was so wide, it took the whole road to the point a motorbike didn't have room to get past.

What vehicle do you suggest for carrying 6 people? I don't want anything crappy.

"Neither will be much good on the narrow roads that are so common in Indonesia."

I think Fred is suggesting a motor bike because neither the Kijang or the Fortuna are all that wide...many more SUV's being wider.

Moreover, there are far more Kijangs on the roads of Indonesia that any other SUV...narrow or not.

The Kijang is a great vehicle that's for sure and I would choose that if I really needed a car which happily I don't.

Ubudian wrote:

"Neither will be much good on the narrow roads that are so common in Indonesia."

I think Fred is suggesting a motor bike because neither the Kijang or the Fortuna are all that wide...many more SUV's being wider.

Moreover, there are far more Kijangs on the roads of Indonesia that any other SUV...narrow or not.

I did consider the Innova 2.5G but I'm thinking to get something a bit more spacious, hence the Fortuna or something similar. It's just a pity that the Fortuna hasn't been modernised inside like most other brands of SUV. The Kia Sorrento is quiet and a very comfortable with sunroof and modern intereior, but then low resale. Still got time to decide.

What about the Alphard or Suzuki APV? They are big and spacious.

lukereg wrote:

What about the Alphard or Suzuki APV? They are big and spacious.

For Alphard I'd need to get a driver, and it's huge. The APV is kind of smallish. I'm after something strong to get me around the hills surrounding Bandung but also something that commands a little bit of respect on the road and has lots of comfort. I want to spend up to Rp500 million. I'm used to driving an SUV so am looking in that direction.

Test drove a Kia Sorrento a couple weeks ago and those people keep coming around and pestering us with discounts and offers. Maybe that was a bad decision....

I bought innova 2.5 v M/t for husbands daily routine activities, cheap and worthed especially if U have a driver. Alphard... Hmm.. I don't think so...

Hahaha...I would never buy an Alphard. So far I discovered that the Kia Sorrento has a plastic petrol cap cover and does not have the 6 airbags that the Malaysian imports have. The Pajero Sport has a low roof for those sitting in the back, and the Fortuna is unfortunately very bland inside.

"Hahaha...I would never buy an Alphard."

Yeah, we all already know that from your previous comment, "I want to spend up to Rp500 million."  :D

Yes that's what I said  :joking:

Well, I won't presume to speak for any sort of majority expats, but most of the ones I know would much rather put 500 million IDR into a few are of good property rather than 12 square inches of rubber meeting the road. 

But hey, what can I say?  Some folks think driving a top brand new over priced SUV says something about themselves.

Then, sooner or later, the money God, Kuvera,  comes a calling!  :whistle:

Everyone's personal financial situation is different. I do actually buy land and properties. Also, I think you'll find that the Fortuner is not a top SUV.

Having continued my research on the best SUV to buy, I am strongly leaning towards getting a Toyota Fortuna. I've now forgotten about getting anything Korean and also no longer interested in the Pajero Sport because anyone tall sitting in the middle passenger row will have their head touching the roof. I haven't really considered the Innova as it is used quite extensively as a rental car even though I have heard good things about the 2.5L diesel.

Did you buy the Fortuner yet?  I have a 2012 Fortuner Diesel in mint condition which I love.  May be looking to rent or sell soon.

@ danbrod > It would be best if you can post your ad in the Cars for sale in Indonesia section, it will help you to target the appropriate persons. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

Have you looked up about Mitsubishi Outlander? The newest version has sunroof. Besides, it is not as expensive as Pajero.

I just bought a 2001 Isuzu Panther Touring,  6 months ago. 93,000 km. I've worked out all the bugs changed all the oils , filters, belts & tires. 
( I've spent an extra Rp.10000000.oo). The SUV is now almost new)
In Indonesia, most do not do regular maintenanc. Change oil, filters. ... etc.
Be prepared to do the same and make yourself acquainted with a GOOD  MAHALIA =
MAKANIK BAGUS !

hi bud, you can get information here: daftar harga mobil suv ... maybe this could be your alternative choice