Friends and Housing

Hi,
I'm moving to Costa Rica in July as I have just been hired at a school in Escazu. I'm a high school English teacher. I'm looking to make connections with ex pat groups for friendship and networking. I do, of course, need to find affordable single housing as well and hopefully someone here will have suggestions. I've been checking Craigslist.  So, I'm reaching out to see what happens.

Hello crysti and welcome on board Expat.com :)

You may drop an advert in our Housing in Costa Rica section of the site to increase your chances to find a nice rental.

Subscribing to the Networking in Costa Rica section is a great way to keep tuned on potential meet ups. :top:

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Affordable housing is relative. Escazu is probably the most expensive area in the country. What is your budget? Do you need a furnished place? I live in Zarcero so housing is inexpensive but most of the places are unfurnished. Also, in Escazu, it's easy to spend tons of money because there are so many Gringo things easily available. I do a website, costaricabargainhunter.com You might find some tips to help there. If you buy lots of imported stuff that's not common to CR, it will cost you more to live here than in the US. That's my main piece of advice. Try to adapt as quickly as possible, especially in Escazu, or you won't be able to afford to live here.

the advise given to me was to NOT rent anything until you get down here and see it and the owner/agent in person.  worked for me.  I would recommend it.  Second issue is transit.   how do you intend to get around? lots of buses but if your not fluent in spanish, they can be challenging.  and travel to and from work?  car's are pricy, and everything in Escazu is a little higher than elsewhere is my opinion.   If you want a long term rental contact Tiziana at Vamos Rent a car.   their price for one year term was half the others.   if you drive a car, get Waze app on your smart phone.  you will be lost without that.  not too many street signs down here

Hello Costa Rica Bargain Hunter,
This is the first time I've seen one of your posts, and I would just like to say that I appreciate and admire your honesty about the higher costs which people can experience when relocating to Costa Rica.  So many people come into sites like this and sugar coat everything "from accommodation costs to almost anything else", I think they must be involved in the real estate business, or just trying to justify their major move of relocating to Costa Rica.  I sounds like your site can be very helpful to many people.   Take care.

Thanks! I just write about things I come across that are low cost and enhance your life here. It was really expensive my first year here because I didn't know where to shop, I wasn't used to the local food/drink, so I was consuming too many imported things. I also hung around with more Gringos then, who must have had much more funds than me. I finally said I couldn't eat out unless the restaurant had the word, 'soda,' in the name. I like to observe how the Ticos are managing here and passing that info along. It's really helped me!

I would advise the OP to contact the school and ask them what they would recommend. Possibly the previous teachers accommodation will become vacant...
As most work visas are for a year, it will allow her to decide if she likes it or not whether to renew her contract and lease.