Foreign nationals arrested - Immigration violations

That's a huge number.....more than 1.000 foreigners arrested in just a couple of days !!

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2015/05/09 … Violations

More info on that.....

http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/0 … -plus.html

Sounds like the vast majority were taking the micky, working on tourist visas.
I did read another piece telling of a bunch arrested for drug crime.

http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/0 … ested.html

More drugs, but they'll probably be had for both crimes.

Also interesting to read that they deported 5.000 foreigners from January - April, had no idea about that high number.

but it's also fact that here are to many foreigners working on tourist visa so people are warned and should think twice before doing so.

Think you guys could send us Joko Widodo on loan for a couple of years? I'm sure the Brazilian people would love to have him as president, he'd probably have the problems of this country straigtened out in three months!!!

Indonesia is sounding more and more like paradise compared to Brazil, ya know!!! Darn, where did I put my passport anyway? 

Jokowi :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Pop over James.
Indonesia is a great country; I love it here.

I wonder if that Japanese guy I met at the airport was nabbed. One company sponsored visa, then a string of tourist visas.
They eventually let him in, but I'll bet they were at the company's door the following week.

"Think you guys could send us Joko Widodo on loan for a couple of years? I'm sure the Brazilian people would love to have him as president, he'd probably have the problems of this country straigtened out in three months!!!"

:lol:

James, as Fred suggests, pop on over and have a look.  I'm betting you'd really like it here.

Cheers!

I'm sure you're right Roy and so is Fred, as I'm pretty big on the issues of Law & Order that seem to go completely ignored by the government in this country.

Personally I get a big chuckle out of the whining and complaining here in Brazil and other countries about Indonesia's unflinching hard line stance on drug smuggling, yet I've not seen anything in your local news media even remotely resembling complaints coming from the Indonesian people. Looks to me like they're pretty much all quite satisfied with it and the results it has had.

At the end of the day, in a sovereign nation that's all that really matters - what the people that put you in office think about what you're doing for them. The rest of the world can think and say what they want, I still give Widodo high marks for having the courage to take a stand and stick with it even in the face of the grumbling in other countries.

Despite our president's lamentable outbursts directed at Widodo, he has become an instant folk hero among the average Brazilian citizens.

James, I am somewhat surprised that the recent executions haven't been raised on this forum prior to your last comment.

On other forums, it's “the talk of the town.”

But your perception is totally correct.  The overwhelming majority of Indonesians support the death penalty for drug smugglers…be they Indonesian or otherwise.

We simply do not have the resources to combat drugs in any manner akin to totally developed nations, moreover, Indonesia has more coast line than any other country on earth aside from Canada. 

If you think it worthwhile to start a new topic thread about the death penalty in Indonesia, and in general, I would gladly participate, but the climate on this forum seems to be avoidance of sensitive topics, so, I'm not sure that Julien would welcome such a discussion. 

Cheers!

Actually, I removed my previous topic thread on the subject in order to prevent the growing controversy. Political topics tend to develope differences of opinion and generate heated debates so I felt it best to not push that issue anymore.

Since I'm in Brazil I also have to carefully watch some of the public statements I make about this country, one never knows what government agencies are "lurking" on public forums like Expat-blog. We've got some pretty draconian laws here regarding criticizing the government and involvement of expats in any way in politics in this country can have some pretty scary Orwellian results.

One big reason I like Indonesia (apart from the lovely people, great food and that heaven sent Indonesian sambal - seriously, sambal is so fantastic, it has to be a gift from God), is the lack of crime that goes with the lack of drugs.

However, we've ripped the thread title and made confetti from it, so we're all very naughty boys.

We've got some pretty draconian laws here regarding criticizing the government

We had one dude deported for a tweet suggesting immigration was corrupt.
He was also wrong, they aren't.

Yes, of course we respect Julien's desires and philosophy regarding this forum as not being the place to discuss sensitive political or religious issues. 

There are other forums for this, and if anyone is interested in reading a very revealing and interesting thread on this topic of the recent executions in Indonesia, this is it:
internations.org/forum/show_thread/961518?page=0

You will need to join (it's free) to even access the discussion.

Before any moderator here takes objection to this post, please run it by Julien first.  My intention in posting that link to another forum is not to lead folks away from this one, but rather to point to the direction of another discussion which doesn't avoid sensitive issues.  And rest assured, I am not criticizing the “politically correct” atmosphere we all enjoy here.  On the contrary, I enjoy it!

Cheers all!

I do find it disturbing that drug smugglers get the death penalty but terror bombers go free??

Amrozi, Imam Samudra and Mukhlas…(Bali bombers), all three executed Nov. 2008…Noordin Top taken out “Bin Laden style” by Indonesian security forces, September, 2009, and by the following month, all members of Top's terrorist cell  had either been killed or captured, including his recruiter and field coordinator Ibrohim (who was killed) and Syaifudin Zuhir, Top's successor (who was also killed).  March 2010, Dulatin, a senior figure in Jemaah Islamiyah killed during a raid by Detachment 88…and there is more.

Trust me, Indonesia is not soft on terrorists.

Some subjects are sensitive to the point they end up in arguments.
As has been noted, these threads tend to disappear.
It isn't censorship as such, more to keep the forum helpful to the intended target, expats requiring useful information regarding life in strange lands.

The drug executions are a warning to potential dealers, as the terrorist executions are to potential murderers, but there shouldn't be much mention of them other than their use as a warning to others with the same intent. That's where the issue ends as far as expat matters are concerned

You might very well dislike it, or love it, but debate won't help the forum at all.
I rather like Roy's post as it suggests a place where we can express an opinion, taking the inevitable name calling and general insults away from this forum.