Arriving in Auckland, cheap short term accomadation - Pet Friendly

Hi There,

My husband and I are arriving in Auckland December and are looking for a short term rental (+- 2 months) that we can use as a base whilst we find our feet.   The problem is that our dog will arrive end Jan so we are hoping to find a cheapish place we can stay where he will be welcome.  I realise it is going to be hard to find but wondered if anyone had any advice?

Many Thanks
Em

Hi Emma
You will have difficulty finding a rental that will allow a dog.
I am currently renting a dump that allow a dog and a cat the rent was adjusted $ 30 up because they new I had no choice. $230 on a small beach town far from Auckland.
You might set the dog's arrival out by a month or two. While waiting my visa approval I am sitting in NZ with the dog and cat while the family are back in SA as they are blocked from getting a visitors visa until my business visa is approved.
You do not want to leave the dog in NZ when your visitors visa expire and have to go back.
I do know that the dog's inoculations and quarantine takes 6 months.
Our medicals and police clearance has expire due to immigration agent neglect. They take on as much people on now as there is a huge demand. Once they got the money and contract services is poor and your email will be answered in 7 to 14 days.
As a South African try to get a ex South African, immigration agent. Ask questions even referrals from previous clients.  NZ - ders are not that much in a hurry as you are. You might find that the application process is very time consuming. You might have to be able to with out a job for 6 months or more. Look at the point scale you get less point when you wish to live in Auckland.

Thanks Dawid,

I will definately take your advice and leave the dog for a month or two in SA until we are settled, I have heard that it is a problem finding a place with a dog and we may  need to compromise on the type of accomadation.

I got a quote of R110 000 from an immigration agent for myself and husband which seems high but not sure what you are paying and does sound like you are having issues.   Did you get a job first or just come over?  I must say it is so overwhelming as you can't seem to get a job without a visa and companies won't look at you without a visa.  Unfortunately my husband and I are not on  the skills shortage lists which means that it seems next to impossible to get a work visa.

Thanks
Em

Em

The R110 000 for  two seems about right.
I am paying R 60 000 in three payments.
Last payment will be with gaining residents visa.
If you could get a job offer it could make a lot of difference.
I am applying for a business visa, payment for the application was done today, after 3 months the last of  my documents was dropped off at my agent.
Now immigration is accessing my application. 
Be prepared for delays.

Thanks Dawid,

Will keep trying with finding a job, must say it is a nerve wracking process but I guess it is worth the effect.  Good luck on getting your visa sorted and hope your family can join you soon

Em

Hi Em,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but reality is that there are NO cheapish rentals in Auckland at all, specifically not for the short term and especially not if a dog is part of your household. You will have a hard time finding a rental place for under NZ$500/wk and if you want to live in a reasonably decent house in a reasonably decent area you should be willing to pay $700-$800/wk. Statistics show house prices (in Auckland) going up by around $2,000 per week due to heavy demand (mainly by immigrants) and that of course affects rentals of rental properties. On top of that you are facing the problem of not having been able yet to establish a rental history, nor a credit rating.....
What you might wish to consider is to become a housesitter for people who go on holiday, in which case you've got a roof over your head and.... it doesn't cost you a penny. As most of these people do have animals themselves you might be able to negotiate bringing a dog with you.
You also should realise that NZ is a very, very expensive country and finding a job by a foreigner might be a big task.
Being an immigrant (and dog owner) myself I am trying to be helpful to people who are thinking of sailing the same boat, but there is no point in painting a rosy and thus unrealistic picture and quite frankly knowing what I know now, I would think twice before I decided to make the move again.
Wishing you all the best,
Albert.

bringing a dog to nz without a job offer that you know will lead to residence and work visa is extremely unwise..there are many traps for young players as others have indicated. Obtaining  legal assistance can be extremely useful particularly for advice before arrival ...some people come over with no hope of obtaining employment, work visa and/or residence  and each category has its own issues hence the different costs..The chap has applied for an Entrepreneur work visa most difficult and time consuming visa to prepare for and obtain.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads please + register in the business directory

Hi my name is Jesus, and I and my family we have began the process emigrarion to NZ with the help of a NZ barrister, we have children and 2 dogs, I was reading your comments and I feel it is quite difficult to move to NZ, even one of you said he/she think twice if would decide move again, I am a litle worry now, may you share with me why this bad experience?

Dawid S wrote:

Hi Emma
You will have difficulty finding a rental that will allow a dog.
I am currently renting a dump that allow a dog and a cat the rent was adjusted $ 30 up because they new I had no choice. $230 on a small beach town far from Auckland.

Hello Dawid,

Would you mind sending me your email address at ****  I'd like to have a chat.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : share your personal details in private pls