Rent a car.

Hello,
I will be coming to Malta on 5th july(sunday) and I need a car to rent.Does anybody here know if there is such option at the airport or if some company works on sundays in Valletta?I've tried a few companies but they are all closed on sundays.If there is no such option, is there a bus station from Valletta to St. Julian's close to the airport?And lastly, if there is no close bus station near the airport, how much do you think it's going to cost to take taxi from the airport to St. Jualin's?

Gosho1991 wrote:

Hello,
I will be coming to Malta on 5th july(sunday) and I need a car to rent.Does anybody here know if there is such option at the airport or if some company works on sundays in Valletta?I've tried a few companies but they are all closed on sundays.If there is no such option, is there a bus station from Valletta to St. Julian's close to the airport?And lastly, if there is no close bus station near the airport, how much do you think it's going to cost to take taxi from the airport to St. Jualin's?

There will be some hire car companies open because my friends flew in on a sunday and hertz avis etc were all open and working
buses will run from just outside the airport to st julians you will need to catch the X2 and you can buy a ticket from the kiosk in the airport ( i recommend this as bus fares are set to rise and buying on the bus will be more expensive)

taxis from the airport to stjulians will cost you from around 18-25 euros depending on who you use .. if you get a white cab out of the airport expect it to be more expensive so book in advance
hopes that helps

Gosho1991 wrote:

Hello,

Avis,Budget,Hertz,Goldcar and Thrifty all have desks at Malta Airport in arrivals and I am sure you can pick up a car on Sundays. There is also a 'Shuttle Bus' option.
If you want a taxi there is a fixed price white cab option, try this link:-

http://gettinghere.maltairport.com/en/white-taxi.htm

Hope this helps.

Ray

we'll most people just gets taxi direct from booth inside airport and in that case it will cost him 20e
and a bit of prayer since they like to drive...hmm. a bit dangerous :D

but x2 to st. julians will be around 45-55 minutes drive so you judge what's better for you

rent-a-car booth's also work on sunday, as roby said

Thank you all for the information!
I guess I will be making my decision on place.If I remember right Malta is right side driving place, right?I am used to left side driving so that can be a bit weird for me.Also the price is going to be a bit higher than a taxi so...I will see.
Thank you very much!

By the way - what's X2?You said ''you need to catch the X2''?

Taxi fares at the airport ( white taxis) are fixed and tickets are bought from the counter in the arrival hall.

The price for Sliema/St. Julians is 20 €.

Cheers
Ricky

The x2 is the bus number

Ahh, okay.Thank you for the clarification.

I am really thankful for all the information you guys gave me.I hope someday I can return the favour.

Regards,
George

Worth noting you will need a credit card with a €500 balance to pay deposit on the hire car or you will need to pay about 80-100 to pay the excess insurance depending on who torn with

I think I will just take a taxi.First of all I am not used to a right wheel driving, second I don't know the way to my apartament and unfortunately my mobile operator doesn't offer international internet so I can't find it on myself, and lastly, I don't know much about the driving attitude in Malta and I don't want to risk a car that's not mine.

Thank you again for the new info.

robpw2 wrote:

Worth noting you will need a credit card with a €500 balance to pay deposit on the hire car or you will need to pay about 80-100 to pay the excess insurance depending on who torn with

When we hired from Avis at the airport last year the Excess was 1500 Euros!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Ray

ouch ... my friends went with hertz and they wanted 500 deposit as he didnt have that he bought the excess insurances for 80 euros
less on dont go with avis lol

robpw2 wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Ray

ouch ... my friends went with hertz and they wanted 500 deposit as he didnt have that he bought the excess insurances for 80 euros
less on dont go with avis lol

I used to use Avis in the UK and they were great, the excess was 1/2 what it is in Malta, they don't care if you use a Debit card or a Credit card and they don't 'ringfence' the amount of the excess on your card.
Avis Malta is a franchise and as I don't use credit cards I had to pay the extra insurance at 23 euros per day, twice as much as the cost of the car hire.  Never again!
I'll stick with Mayjo who I rent from about every 3 weeks here in Gozo.

Ray

You can use this app  play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hotels.car.rentals.flights.ukasoft&hl=en to choose a good car rent company. I often use this service while travelling to Europe. Works pretty good.

Rob, can I have info re mayjo car rental. I don't use credit cards so I need someone who'll accept my debit card. Ta deb

deb holt wrote:

Rob, can I have info re mayjo car rental. I don't use credit cards so I need someone who'll accept my debit card. Ta deb

Mayjo website link:

http://www.mayjocarhire.com/carhiregozo.php

I have used them for 2 years, usually about every three weeks and they have always accepted  my debit card. I would check with them yourself to be sure but anyway for 7 euros per day you can have extra insurance so there is no excess.

Gozo Garage also used to accepted my debit card when I hired from them and are also reasonably priced.

Ray

Thank you . Deb