Learning the language

I am looking to move to Ecuador over the next 18-24 months this is a major move for me and my husband and  I know we have a lot of things to consider, and I guess one of my fears is trying to learn a new language, can anyone share with me how difficult learning Spanish is?

Aloxi wrote:

I guess one of my fears is trying to learn a new language, can anyone share with me how difficult learning Spanish is?

You may find some insights into this by visiting the existing threads on the Ecuador forum español for Gringos and Shortcuts to Learning español.

Just type the thread name into the Search Expat.com box atop this page, click on the search icon to the right of the box, and you can navigate from there.

cccmedia in Quito

Aloxi wrote:

I am looking to move to Ecuador over the next 18-24 months this is a major move for me and my husband and  I know we have a lot of things to consider, and I guess one of my fears is trying to learn a new language, can anyone share with me how difficult learning Spanish is?

No one over 50 years old from the United States has learned spanish (well) while living Ecuador, so don't let that be an impediment to coming here.  Most of us embrace the gringo subculture anyway, where English is widely spoken.

I would never dream of offering such a negative take on this question.

I am an almost 65-year old Canadian and I have no problem with Spanish.  It may depend on how your brain was formed early in life, whether or not it is flexible in nature and whether you have a natural ear for languages.  Some people just do.  On the other hand, my father was unable to learn French, but he started when he was too old.  I have friends who speak several languages and it is no big deal for them.

HelenP