Ghana scams

Hi
can anyone tell me if he/she has been cheated from anyone from ghana.
u meet someone on social sites and u be friends and then that person says 
i lost my phone i want new one please send me $3000 for new one
I NEVER DONE THAT.
But some of my friends told same story
so little bit curious
surprisingly address is ACCRA GHANA
felt really funny
please share your experience  here
i will be thankful

Hi bhasmya, :)

Your topic is now on the forum Ghana so that members from Ghana could advice you.

Unfortunately this is all too common. A young Ghanaian man pretends to be a beautiful young lady and gets some lonely guy in the UK or US to believe that they love them and the guy starts sending small amounts which gradually increase until he starts getting suspicious but by then he has already invested a large amount. People need to beware

bhasmya wrote:

Hi
can anyone tell me if he/she has been cheated from anyone from ghana.
u meet someone on social sites and u be friends and then that person says 
i lost my phone i want new one please send me $3000 for new one
I NEVER DONE THAT.
But some of my friends told same story
so little bit curious
surprisingly address is ACCRA GHANA
felt really funny
please share your experience  here
i will be thankful

Unfortunately it's a well known scam. More fool the people who fall for it. After all, you are not actually someone's "friend" if you meet them on a social networking site. You actually know nothing about them apart from what they have told you - and much of that could be false.

I mean, if someone you barely knew in your own country asked you to buy them a new phone, you'd tell them to naff off, wouldn't you? Why people don't do the same on the internet to these wastrels and scoundrels, I simply do not know.

I received many times an email saying that I have won a million dollar and they need some private information or I get an inheritance ...

Yeah, right...  :huh:

It's the same as 419 Scams from Nigeria.

I get, on average, about 25 scam emails a month. Most wanting to use my bank account to transfer millions of dollars out of some African country and I will get a healthy percentage as a fee.

And do people , supposed to be from the DEVELOPED PART of the GLOBE fall this?

Don't you just marvel at these internet love stories? Almost 99.9999999 percent of them are all the same. Some beautiful young woman (or handsome young man) sweeps some poor unsuspecting lovelorn victim off their feet and starts stroking their ego, telling them how wonderful they are, that they can't live without them and want to marry.

Then, the inevitable sad story is slowly leaked out... oh yes, there is ALWAYS a sad story and it ALWAYS involves money for some noble purpose; granny who needs urgent surgery, father's business has failed and money is needed to feed the whole family, etc., etc., etc. Of course the starry eyed lover is always the first one to be asked, where in the REAL WORLD we tend to try and work out our own problems without letting others even know about them, much less involving them in any way.

It's truly amusing just how many gullible people there really are out there..... they truly believe that someone they know absolutely nothing about other than the pack of lies they're fed online is Venus reincarnate or Adonis when they probably look just like this in real life.... (see photo)

http://www.funnypica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Ugly-and-Crazy-Men-16.jpg

POPEYE in the flesh!!!

What's more amazing is that there are actually people who still fall for this.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

I heard some of the reasons they do it is because of "colonization" and the past.. Wanting to get back "what they stole from us" and what is "theirs". So Westerners are pretty much a valid target in their eyes, because apparently they are benefiting from the results of the "plunder". In a way, I can understand their feelings, although that's not to say it's right what they are doing. Someone sitting there poor, and feeling that their situation is the result of others, and placing the blame on them for their failure to succeed, will inevitably try to do something about it, and one of those ways is obviously online-scams.

Well you heard wrong James nobody feels that way in Ghana, colonization has nothing to do with internet scams, there are people in many countries that do this sort of thing even in the so called "developed countries" i actually find ur comment quite offensive.

eevagh wrote:

Well you heard wrong James nobody feels that way in Ghana, colonization has nothing to do with internet scams, there are people in many countries that do this sort of thing even in the so called "developed countries" i actually find ur comment quite offensive.

eevagh,

I think you had better go back and actually READ my posting word-for-word, right from the very beginning. Maybe even TWICE, because I never once mentioned Ghana or "colonization". This problem happens in every country all over the world, and gullible people all over the world still fall for these scams. THAT IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

So before you get your national pride all fired up, make sure that you know and understand exactly what is being said, and by whom it was said. Your being offended is completely misplaced I assure you because it's clear you are referring to comments made by another member on this thread.

Your apology is accepted in advance.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Sorry James, i just read the thread again, it wasn't your comment. Sorry

NEVER send on such a request, am a Ghanaian and my advice is never ever send.

Fraurds and Spams are everywhere in the world, we just keep our eyes open.

eevagh wrote:

Nothing offensive at all. Ghana alongside Nigeria are well-known for scams. Blame your people for this well-earned reputation. Once they stop doing that, you will no longer need to feel offended. What's truly offensive is people like me and many others, being sent scammy offers on a regular basis from people in that part of the world. I'm offended that they keep trying to steal from me. Can you please ask them to give it up. Pathetic.

Hello everyone,

Scams are popular all around the world, it is not subjected to one particular country more than an another.

Have a look at the following guideline which applies to internet use : Useful tips to avoid being scammed

All the best,
Bhavna