New members of the Colombia forum, introduce yourself here

Hola!  I'm considering moving to Colombia from the US with my colombiana wife in perhaps several years when I can retire, to enjoy a more relaxed and inexpensive lifestyle.  I have been there a few times and am impressed with her numerous family and the parts of Colombia that I have so far seen and spent at least some time in - mostly Cali but also Buenaventura, Bogota, Lago Calima, Dapa, Pavas and other areas within day trip range of Cali.  I am looking forward to learning more from you all and also sharing my experiences.

Howdy! We are in Medellin, Co for another week and would like contact with Expat members in
the Poblado area to meet & talk about buying and living here now, in 2015. We are retired professionals, well traveled,
wanting to move out of US. Medellin is beautiful and inviting!
Would love to hear from you!  Claude & Margaret

Hola! Me mude a Bogotá hace 2 meses. Quisiera contactarme con otros argentinos que vivan aca.
Gracias !!

Susana M Martinez wrote:

Hola! Me mude a Bogotá hace 2 meses. Quisiera contactarme con otros argentinos que vivan aca.
Gracias !!

As this is an English speaking forum could you please post in ENGLISH only.
Thank you.

Dear advisers,

I am a single, former USMC, retired Gentleman of the new 60 era... I have  some savings, but live on a fix income of
1400.00 per month .  Is it possible for me to live a quiet, moderate life in the Barranquilla, or Cali Columbia ?
Are there jobs or opportunities  for an English speaking X pats. Obliviously my biggest fear in my lack of speaking Spanish.

Thank you for your time,

Semper Fidelis !

please feel free to  reply to [email protected]

rsmith, hopefully others living in Colombia will chime in (especially since I don't yet live in Colombia!), but the bottom line is I think yes, you could live a comfortable life in Cali and certainly in other, smaller cities (since Cali is the 3rd largest city there are plenty of others smaller!).  It would be a middle-class life, I'd guess estrato 3-4, but middle-class for Colombia not middle-class for the US - you'd give up some things in some areas but gain in others. 

Not knowing Spanish is a barrier - but not a permanent one, and one that can be overcome with time and practice.  Everybody has different language abilities but you never know until you try, and for some people immersion works well - you could be speaking basic Spanish in months and be functioning in the society well before that. 

At the current exchange rate your income would be a bit above 3.3 million pesos a month, or close to 40 million a year.
This website has interesting salary data for Colombia, hover over the country bubble:

payscale.com/research/CO/Country=Colombia/Salary

You'll see that many highly-trained professionals earn 40 million or less a year.  Of course they have to work, whereas you would not have to!

40 million a year might not cut it in Bogotá but it's cold there, anyway!

Cali where my wife's family lives is quite hot, at least for me, but livable.  I speak pretty fluent Spanish and maybe because of that I place a greater importance on it - many people get along well with very limited Spanish.

Perhaps others can speak to employment opportunities - teaching English may need certification, but maybe not and maybe as a tutor rather than a full-fledged teacher you would not need any certification.

The link for salary data in Colombia, take out the dot and spaces:

payscale.com/research/CO/Country=Colombia/Salary

CAN you help me to find a job in colombia

Hi Jim:

I just recently moved to Barranquilla but was just transferring my profile to show that I've moved to Barranquilla. Plan on maxing my visa at the 180 days... or maybe more if I can get a job as ESL teacher (I have 4 years experience in S.Korea). I already have a job that brings in a little income online but I've got time for other stuff too.

But...I almost married a girl from Manizales once and I remember looking at a picture of it once and thinking it reminded me of Denver, with the mountains all around. What's it like?

What the dancing and music scene there....and how easy is it to meet women?

Regards,
Art Williams
about.me/artwilliams
ph. 300 762 7797

Thank you for your reply,  and your help.

randy

Hi, my name is Brad...we will be spending some time in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena and would love to meet others from the US living there..Caio!

Hello, I am a 21 years expat coming back home. After so long, it is been like a new location.
I would like to meet expats living in Popayan, to share experiences,  info and languages, we speak at home Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and English
I have 2 daughters working on settle up in the city

Hi Everyone! I'm a native of Colombia (born here but moved early). I am currently in Florida in the medical field and will be moving to Manizales Colombia in about 6 weeks. I would love to find people that have already made a move there and pick their brain  :)  Hope to hear from some of you soon!  :cheers:

I am from Canada and have lived on 3 continents and have traveled to South America a lot - Colombia in particular.
I am now considering moving there. I am starting an internet based business that I will be able to operate from anywhere in the world. I like the climate of Medellin and area. A small farm or finca where I could grow some vegetables and perhaps have some animals would be very tempting.

My plan would be to return later this autumn and do some more investigating but in the meantime pick the brains of various members who might have some good advice or tips on possible spots that might be of interest to me. I do speak some Spanish - not yet fluetn by any means but more than just tourist Spanish. Please give me a shout.

Hi All.. My name is Chris. I currently live in the United States. My goal is to one day move to Colombia, live the life of a Colombian, and help others in the process.

I have visited many countries in South America and would love to settle in Colombia.

The only hurdle is I am not of retirement age yet so I would need to develop a plan to generate income. But I do have savings and I do speak Spanish.

I enjoy learning foreign languages, reading, socializing, teaching, and technology.

Currently I am a graduate software engineering student at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I work as a computer programmer.

All comments, questions, and advice are welcomed.
Good luck to everyone in their endeavors!   

---Chris C.  :top:

Hi there!

I found via 23andme that my father is likely from Colombia.  I've never met him but have gotten to know some of my extended family.  I'm trying to see if I can connect.

JT

Saludos a todos

I am about to retire and plan to arrive in Fusagasuga, near Bogota by the end of August 2015.

While I don't consider myself completely fluent I do speak Spanish sufficiently well to travel alone and continue to learn daily via Rosetta Stone and Duolingo.com. I'm also currently studying French and had taught myself to read and write Russian before completing 3 semesters of it while in college in the 80's. I enjoy learning and particularly enjoy learning languages.

I have visited Mexico on numerous occasions, as well as Ecuador and Colombia. I have a girlfriend whom I have known for several years who already lives in Fusa.

I would enjoy meeting other ex-pats and sharing their experiences of living abroad.

Que tiene un buen dia.

I am a newbie from northern California U.S.A. on this Colombia forum. I will be moving to Cali, Colombia in 8 to 12 weeks and living there for at least a year and maybe longer.  I have visited Cali and know I have a lot to learn when I live there. I am reading posts from this forum to get advice, and hopefully I can meet some of you who live in Cali when I get there. Also, I am an avid equestrian, specifically riding hunter/jumpers and hope that I can continue this in Cali in my spare time .

well be honest Im Colombian and Im here in this web site cuz I love the swidish culture and also I would like to get in touch with swedish people.....I live in Bogotá Colombia and I have my job I live with two friends, we share an apartment and I have to say it but I love swidish girls ......I think they are the most beautiful girls ever.....my name is Juan Diego so if someone come to Bogota and need a place to eat and sleep let me know ,,,,that will be a good chance for you  to improve your spanish if you want ........have a goood one everyone

Hola amigos

My name is Louis Frenken, I am from Germany and I want to settle down in Bogotá for a while. I am 24 years old, got my Bachelors degree in Economics last summer in Germany and already lived abroad for each half a year in Thailand and Spain. I am fluently in English and Spanish so language barrier shouldn´t the problem.

This spring I went to Colombia for nearly 3 months travelling around and visiting some friends in Bogotá. I really loved the country and its people, just amazing.
My matter: I am searching for work over there, currently I am working in Germany for a recruitment consultant company in Würzburg but I could move in a short timeframe.
Any clues or hints what´s the best way getting a job with acceptable remmuneration in Bogotá? Administration area or language teaching, whats supposed to be the better approach? Already got work experience in various fields during my studies, I am very open minded. Hoping to meet some nice people here!

Greetings and Saludos

Louis

Hi my name is David currently living in London, my wife is Colombian. I am currently working in I,T Support. My wife and I have just purchased an apartment in Sabaneta which the. building has just been completed. The last time I was in Medellin was at least twenty years ago. We are looking to move maybe towards the end of this year, I plan to semi retire.

Hi, I want to retire in Colombia with my husband. I was worn in Medellin but have not been back in 26 years. My husband has never been there and is kind of nervous.
I'm thinking in Santa Marta as my first choice since We live near the ocean now and love it.  Pereira or Medellin are also possibilities although I have relatives there, I do not talk with them. The family part scares me because I'm so different from them.
I would love to make friends with expat so my husband and I can be more at ease that there are other crazy people like us :).
We are thinking in a vacation to all 3 cities. He starts his ss in September and I'm disabled.
I would truly appreciate any help and friendship that you can extend to us.
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks!

Hey my name is Sharik. Moving to Medellin next month. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Hi,

I am from Nevada, USA. I came to Bogota January 2013 to meet my future wife.  I spent three months here with her.  I came back in December 2013 and spent 3 more months.  I returned in November 2014.  We were married in December and are at home here in Bogota.  I really enjoy life here.

Maybe youb will love Pueblo Pance in Valle del Cauca!

Helllo. Everyone my name is. Alfredo and i from. Cali. That's  California' for short.i  arrived. In bucaramanga 6 mos ago i must agreed with this is a beautiful city I'm retired now and have alot of time in my hand s just want to say hello out there.

Hello.  My name is Matt.  I will be in Medellin next week .  Everybody I talk to loves it there.  I'm 40 and I work online so I can live anywhere .  I have spent a year in Thailand, Philippines, Japan, China, Taiwan, HongKong , Malaysia, Argentina, and many more...
I usually stay somewhere short term like 2 weeks and then move into a long term rental. 
I have just stayed in Ecuador for 11 months( any tips on the cheapest airfare?)
If anyone has any questions about these countries please feel free to ask.

I wanted to also hear what people might recommend  to do about a short term rental for a week($200-280 week) and then how /where to get a long term rental of a 2br/2br($ 650 - $850)
Can one rent a scooter in Medellin?

Thanks and hope to meet some of u soon

Matt
[email protected]

Hi Everyone
My Name is Rob I currently live and work in Surrey England but wish to marry my girlfriend in Cali Colombia
which I know is not going to be easy any advice would be gratefully received I loved the country and am returning later this year again.
I also hope to get to know all of you

take care

Rob

Hi Rob :) I've lived in Bogotá for 18 months after moving there for my boyfriend, and I assure you you will quickly become familiar with the Colombia expat community :)

I'll recommend a blog for you to read by Marie, an English expat living and working in Cali - honestlycali.weebly.com and she's @honestlycali on Twitter. She's written loads about Cali and about Colombia in general, and I think it'd be a good place to start :)

Good luck and all the best!

Hi howtobogota

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the useful information it is very much appreciated
I shall certainly make use of it.

Good luck to you and your boyfriend

:)  Rob

Hello, My name is David..I fell in love with South America 6 years ago when I first went to Colombia..Since then I have made multiple trips to both Colombia and Ecuador traveling through the two.I have friends living in Cali, and they are from Colombia...I find Cali to hot and to large for my liking...Traveling to Medellin this fall around Oct. or Nov.....Planning on moving to Colombia next Spring when I retire..I guess I am an adventure seeker..lol..Plan on buying a motorcycle and traveling some in Colombia,Ecuador, and maybe beyond...LOL...Looking forward to meeting new friends down there!!!

Hey y'all

I'm Cam, I'm from a small town in North Carolina, and I have been living in Colombia for a year already. I'm in Barranquilla. I'm very homesick and I don't have many friends here even though people have been nice to me. I guess it's the cultural shock. I will be here for another 5 months or so.

Would love to make new friends

-Cam

Hi,
I'm ashley. I'm from Nashville and my boyfriend is Colombian and lives in bogota. I am probably going to move this year and trying to find a way to make the transition a little more comfortable and easier. 😊

Hey hey!

I'm Bam, and I am in the process of deciding whether or not to make the move to Colombia.

It's a decision I do not take lightly, and that I have been researching for a lot of time. I must say that I have not participated in this forum, but I have definitely used the knowledge passed on from others, on here.

A little bit about me...
I am a full time student, but will be graduating pretty soon. After I graduate I will be looking to hopefully land a job in a field that allows me to use my major, which is Information systems management. I do speak Spanish. I need to practice, as I feel my current speaking ability is about 85% and my understanding and writing are about 99% .Currently I work for a little company called Four seasons hotel, in Atlanta.

I enjoy my life and I love the U.S, but something has me feeling that I need to make some changes in life. I'd love to start that process by making a big change and moving to Colombia.

ChrisGC wrote:

Hi All.. My name is Chris. I currently live in the United States. My goal is to one day move to Colombia, live the life of a Colombian, and help others in the process.

I have visited many countries in South America and would love to settle in Colombia.

The only hurdle is I am not of retirement age yet so I would need to develop a plan to generate income. But I do have savings and I do speak Spanish.

I enjoy learning foreign languages, reading, socializing, teaching, and technology.

Currently I am a graduate software engineering student at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. I work as a computer programmer.

All comments, questions, and advice are welcomed.
Good luck to everyone in their endeavors!   

---Chris C.  :top:

Greetings. My name is Ed. I touch down in Colombia on June 27th, then I hit the ground running to secure an English teaching position. I've been to Europe, South Pacific, Asia and, of course, North America. This will be my first time in South America.

I'm here to share information, make contacts and have fun. I really appreciate how others are so willing to encourage, share and help.

Hola Roberto yo vivo en medellin,me alegra que te vengas para bogota,mi nombre es maria,quisiera saber mas de ti.y poderte conocer mas,medellin también es muy linda ciudad,aquí puedes conseguir apartamento mas fácil,en bogota es mas difícil,espero me contestes

Hola,se que no es fácil vivir en un país diferente al de uno,es normal que te sientas triste,pero también puede ser porque estas en cartagena,tal vez en medellin sea diferente,yo vivo enedellin y te digo que aquí hay mucho valor humano,quisiera que habláramos y me cuentas que haces

Hi cariñosa,

Can you please post your message in English as you are on the English speaking forum? Also note that this topic is specially for the introduction of new members of the Bogota forum.

Would you please introduce yourself?

Thank you.

Closed