Bringing in electronics

I have read that Ecuador limits how much electronics can be brought into the country. For example, Bryan at GringosAbroad quotes this from Ecuadorian customs rules:

Travelers or head of household may enter up to two (2) additional units, one (1) new and one (1) used, of the following portable articles:

Photographic camera, video camera, mobile telephone, electronic agenda, portable or non portable video game, electronic calculator, portable computer and its accessories (mouse, headphone, keyboard and other).

Also, all travelers or head of household may enter up to one unit (1) new or used, of the following:

Portable image reproducer, sound or video player, portable television up to 21 inches.
Desktop and its accessories (mouse, headphones, camera, keyboard and other).
Prismatic equipment, projector, monitor up to 21 inches and telephone, printer or fax.

The Bottom Line: Watch the amount of electronics you bring. While its unlikely that you'll have a problem, if you are just bringing it for personal use, the law is in place that they could charge taxes and duties on everything in excess of these limits. I think everyone travels with more than 2 electronic devices: phone, camera, laptop, smart phone.

So, can I bring two laptops, two digital cameras, two phones, etc? Or is it a total of two devices (e.g., a laptop and a phone)? Bryan's comment under 'The Bottom Line' seems to be that it's the latter. Common sense would indicate the former, but we know governments don't use common sense.

I have two laptops, a tablet, a camera, and a dumbphone. I will probably leave the phone behind and just get a new one there, but the other devices put me well over the limit. Any advice/experience?

I don't know anything, but I'm going to blow some smoke anyway.

My experience with different countries is that these limitations are for --duty free--. Anything above the limit is taxed.

So in the event that the number of your electronics devices exceeds the duty free importation, you should  duty shield the most expensive ones and pay the tax on the cheaper stuff. The tax on a used cell phone and camera is likely much cheaper than the tax on a big TV and a laptop, si?

In America for example people think there is a limit as to how many cigarettes or how much booze one may carry in. But really the limitation is for how much may cross the border without being taxed. And in the case of the US, the tax one would pay on anything is the federal tax only, not state tax. So the tax on excess smokes and booze really isn't that bad, it's just that everybody freaks out when they come upon the word 'limit' and 'customs' and their cognitive skills scatter away.

So what you need to do is get a hold of the exact Ecuadoran regulation and the inevitable forms that will need to be filled out, in advance, so you know how to shift your assets to the best tax advantage.

Just sayin'.

P.S.

I have experienced that when crossing borders with various possessions (including pets) that one gets exit permits/declarations from the country one is leaving in their native language~naturally, and that documentation is checked when entering the destination country, which often has a different native language. Rarely can passport control or customs agents read foreign languages.

So that if you entered Ecuador from the Philippines with purchase documents for all of your electronic goods, there is a good probability that Ecuador customs would not be able to read the foreign receipts anyway, and then just kind of blow the whole thing off into some kind of impromptu decision by whoever is standing around passport control for that 8 hour shift.

I've seen it many times.

Some day I will regale you with my hilarious tale of flying from Russian into China with 2 cats, and the language barrier paperwork hilarity that ensued. Usually your grunt customs inspector just gives up when confronted with foreign language documents and starts stamping stuff.

(None of this applies when shipping unaccompanied container goods)

Well, you never know, but I can tell you what I brought back with me in December. In one of my two checked bag was a 21-inch computer monitor. They did open that suitcase (while in transport not in my presence), but nothing was said about the monitor and nothing was stolen. I think they only charge for 22-inch or greater. On my carry-on, I had a Mac Mini, a Windows laptop, two tablets (android and IOS), two Apple Airport routers, and assorted other peripherals. All passed through x-ray without a question. All of these items were personal items, where not in boxes, and were actively configured and being used.

I think it really helps if you stick to the bag limits and weights, which I always do. When you enter Ecuador, you fill out a form that asks is you have overweight or extra bags and you can get flagged for that. One of my Ecuadorian friends regularly brings back multiple suitcases, sometimes 6 or more. She sometimes pays more than $800 in overweight and extra baggage fees and just last week, was denied entry for two of her bags, which they said was over the maximum total limit of bags for entry. She could have payed $1,600 in custom fees (not including overweight or extra baggage fees) for just those two bags, but elected not to. She now has to fly out of the country with those bags and return. It could be just to Peru and back. Unfortunately, they presently sit in the airport and she is certain that things will go missing, especially her makeup. I don't know if she was being cynical, but she said that anytime your bags were held, something would always be missing when you got them back.

As always, my experience (and hers) may not be the same as yours.

Thanks for your comments.

Gardener: Yes, I should have clarified that I understand that I can bring in darn near any (legal) thing I want -- if I'm willing to pay duties. But I don't want to pay duties (unless they're negligible).

Joseph: That's good to know. My guess is that they're not going to raise a stink about two well-used laptops, a cheap tablet, and a low-end digital camera. But you never know.

In Ecuador, it won't matter if you have receipts or not. They have very thorough guidelines and follow them, regardless of whatever documentation you offer. Unfortunately, they won't grunt and give up; that's not very Ecuadorian. Honestly, that characterization is a bit insulting. Sorry to be so direct, but politeness is a crucial competence in Ecuador.

If you are a good negotiator, you might get a few things by, but I wouldn't count on it. But, in all fairness, they are very nice and if you don't try and abuse the system, they can be very tolerant. Like anything else, it could depend on what side of the bed your inspector got out of in the morning. Don't, under any circumstances, try to bribe your way out of this one. I just says this because I have heard people say that you can use bribes. You can in certain situations, but you better know when and how. Otherwise, you can make things much worse.

I am traveling to Ecuador and I was wondering about the electronic rules.  I was reading and it says that travelers or head of house hold can take 2 devices.  I am traveling with my husband and my three kids, does that mean that they don't count?  I am thinking taking my laptop, and cell, my husband iPad, my kids 2 iPad, and 1 iPod , my older son cell, and their dsi (3).   That will make 10 two per passenger,   Will that be ok?

This  stuff is really unbelievable to read. It's like decryption required to understand the program.
It sounds as though you can leave your over quantity stuff at home with a relative or friend who then DHL's or ships some other method each one or 2 non conflicting ( the same items)items right into country without the dance? After 2 possibly 3 shipments you've got your stuff. Am I right with this approach?

There is no way I can assure you it will be okay; this is, to some degree, subject to the agent's interpretation. But, my experience may be a good sign. The last time I returned from a trip to the U.S. I brought a Mac Mini, a laptop, and two tablets - one ten-inch and one seven-inch - in my carry-on. No problem. I would suggest that each person carry two devices in their individual carry-on. That will less likely draw attention as you pass through the scanners. As a rule though, they are reasonable about personal devices being used. Bringing in new electronics in unopened boxes could raise a flag.

This  stuff is really unbelievable to read. It's like decryption required to understand the program.
It sounds as though you can leave your over quantity stuff at home with a relative or friend who then DHL's or ships some other method each one or 2 non conflicting ( the same items)items right into country without the dance? After 2 possibly 3 shipments you've got your stuff. Am I right with this approach?

I'm going to throw in my 3-cents worth, I'm currently in Ecuador for a visit, been here a week got a couple more days... When I flew in the declaration paper the airline gives u to fill out  states you are allowed one new one used phone tablet camera etc....believe it's each family member,,,the funny thing is when the plane landed and I got my visa stamp and headed to the exit inspection point, I handed the declaration paper to the guy at collecting them and he presses a signal that lights up green an ushers me straight out the exit door and I bypass the inspection area totally. He never looked at my paper at all...I could have carried in anything just lucky I guess,,,also they ask if your bringing in over $10,000 cash too into the country...

Thank you Joseph, I will follow your advise and hope for the best.  I will post when I returned what happened.

Beware that the custom's law specifies; 1 used and 1 new camera, cell phone etc, so if you are bring 2 make sure one is out of the box and at least looks used.

Ok, I just have to post here. I have been living here in Ecuador for almost 4 years. I have come and gone back and forth to the States several times. Every time I have returned to Ecuador, I have brought in a lot of stuff, electronics especially. The last trip was this spring, and I came into Ecuador with 4 large plastic totes, each right below the 50 lb. limit, stuffed with electronics. I am an admitted techno geek. I also had a large cardboard box with a new espresso machine, and a couple of suitcases, with our clothing. I was traveling with my fiance, by the way. We were a bit apprehensive, but the only thing customs was the least bit curious about was the espresso machine, which they asked me to open so they could see it.
I happily obliged, and they took a quick look and waved us through. This has been my experience each time I have entered Ecuador.On one occasion, I brought so much stuff in, I paid $1400. in airline extra luggage fees, again with no problems with Ecuador customs. Now, that being said, there is no way anyone can tell you that you might have the same experience. Everyday, every immigration, every customs agent, every police encounter, is different here. Things, and I do mean most things, change regularly in Ecuador. What is legal today may not be tomorrow. What customs allowed me, they may not allow you. It is very hard if not impossible to predict. I have a theory that the individual's persona and attitude have a lot to do with their experience. I have always been happy, smiled a lot,was polite, was friendly, even with my very limited Spanish, and have had virtually no problems here. In fact, I have had far more problems with expats, than I have with the natives. Go figure. I know you are hoping for a definitive answer, and I wish you could get it. Unfortunately, no one can provide it.

I realize the posts here are from 2013 but hope to find some assistance :)

Husband & I are moving to Ecuador (arriving early July 2014) and are bringing the max. baggage allowed by our airline. We'll have (in checked baggage) 2 hard side suitcases and 8 military style duffle bags. We're paying a lot for the baggage but shipping isn't an option (too expensive for us).

We won't have a lot of electronics...at least we won't be exceeding the customs limits. The main concern is the number of bags we'll have. Don't want to end up having to leave anything at the airport or having to leave the country and return (again, not possible due to money concerns). Can anyone tell us if there's a limit on the number of bags that Ecuador will allow. We're flying into Guayaquil's airport.

Thank-you so much!

We recently flew on Delta. we had 7 large bags and two small bags we took on board./ 2 people ... we had to pay extra luggage w Delta... i had tickets booked to return 6 months later...planning to visit a variety of S Am'n acountries... E'n customs asked to open my luggage.. i explained i am a vegetarian and need my own supplies.. otherwise i have to go hungry...zero problems... i brought stereo.. vitamix, slowcooker, kitchen aid mixer++ Passport control: i am staying 2,5 months and then traveling across the continent.. one way..

Are you going to stay in Guayaquil or you're moving to another city? If you're moving to another city by plane notice you have to check with the local airlane if they allowed this amount of luggage.

Vinny

I'm traveling to Ecuador next month.  If I have to pay a duty tax, what form of payment is accepted?
Thanks!

traveler2015 wrote:

I'm traveling to Ecuador next month.  If I have to pay a duty tax, what form of payment is accepted?

Bring cards and cash.

The dogs of SENAE (EC customs) will take their pound of flesh in whichever form they deem acceptable on any given day.

cccmedia in Quito