Marriage to an Egyptian girl in Egypt

Hello everyone,

I would be grateful if you can answer some questions I have about marriage to an Egyptian girl in Egypt as follows:-

Q) When some one is marrying an Egyptian girl in your country, where does the boy stay while they are preparing for the marriage? for example does he stay in the girls house? is he put into a relative/cousins house? a neighbour's house?

or is it normal for him to stay in a hotel?

Q) When the boy meets the girl's family first time, should he and is he introduced to the girls extended family? like her uncles,aunties, grand parents, friends, neighbours friends as well etc?

Q) Is the due to be husband expected to buy gifts/presents for the girl before the marriage ceremony and marriage party?

Q) Is there a minimum amount of dowry/Mahr the man has to pay to his wife?

Also what is the process for a British national to marry an Egyptian girl in Egypt and how long does the process take?

Many thanks for your help!

I look forward to your replies.

Many thanks.

Hello behappy786,

I have created a new thread for you so that you can get more responses. The initial discussion you posted on was dated 2013  :|

I wish you good luck in your endeavours  :top:

Cheers

Mishna

Hello Mishna,

Thank you for your note.

Hello BeHappy786,

A1) There's no one rule about it; but probably not in the girl's house. Egyptians are pretty conservative about that.
A2) Only her family for the first time. But later you'll be introduced to the others, yes.
A3) Not like a due. :D
A4) That actually goes according the her family tradition.

Please check the below thread, I think it'll be fruitfully enough.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150289

Hello Eman,

Thank you so much for your response.

Very kind of you.

The only reasons why I have been asking is because of course I want to get an understanding of marriage traditions in your country so that I can prepare myself and not get hit with any surprises if I end up marrying from there, but also because  I understand your country's culture is very similar to Moroccon culture.And I had been through a very horrible and dissapointing experience with a gilf from that country because of my naivity and lack of understanding about the culture and marriage traditions.

There were of course many reasons as to why I had eventutally refrained myself from marrying the girl at that time, but based on the following factors most people if not every one advised me against the marriage and said it was going to be a scam based on the following:-

1) I stayed in a hotel on all 4 times during my visit to the country. I was told by many people including moroccons that I should have either stayed at the girls house or should have
been lodged with a male relative, neighbour ets

2) Although I met her parents, apart from 1 of her brother and 1 sister on my 3rd visit, I never
    got introduced to any of her uncles, aunties, grand parents, cousins, neighbours or friends
    apart from 1 friend who I have been seeing since I first met her.

3) I was made to spend abround £1,100 before the marriage, this was on materilistic things
    like cloeth etc.     

4) I was aked to send her around £300.00 even though I am not officially not married to her claiming she had a sick nephew.

Tell me what do think about this??

Are you going to ask the same questions?  :blink::blink::blink:

I thought there were many responses on your previous post. I hope you learned about the painful lesson.
If I understand correctly you're about to getting married with an Egyptian girl?

hello Primadonna,

I hope u r keeping well.

Well for now I am only trying to understand the culture of the country as I understand they are similar to Moroccons, hency why I outlined tose questions.

Its nothing serious for now, but I have only just met this Egyptian girl online, hency why I have opened this discussion.

You are right, both countries have the similar customs and traditions although there are always differences.
This has to do with religion, a way of life that's implemented in the daily life.

The situation you described about is almost the similar to the Egyptians.

Well. This is totally different!
It's all about the family traditions, materialistic vary.  But I should clarify it's not clothes, it's like the wedding ring or the house. All about marriage!
About the nephew, I don't think they're supposed to make you pay for that. But if you did voluntarily, that will be noble.

The process for a non Egyptian man to marry an Egyptian woman is not easy or straight forward .. .. I am Irish and  married an Egyptian woman last September ... If you email me directly [email protected]  ... I will let you have my phone number and I will talk you through it .. or get you self a good English speaking lawyer .. Regards Ray

Hello, actually traditions and rules vary from Muslim to Christian.
For both cases, you are not expected to live in the brides house. Best thing is to stay at a Hotel. If they are strict Moslems, better not get near here in the presence of her family.

Yes in both cases too, you will be introduced to the girls extended family.

Yes sure are definitely expected to get her some presents before marriage. For Moslems and Christians the wedding ring + the diamond ring is one of the gifts you would have to get.  You are often not given the choice to buy them alone. The family will go with you and they will chose something expensive, as they thing the more expensive, the more you value the girl.
You will be expected to get "something" with you on each visit you do, like sweets, chocolate, etc...

The "Mahr" issue exists only for Moslems and it is according to agreement with the Family. For Christians, both parties agree about who will bring what in the newly weds house.

One more important issue, if you will marry a Moslem, you would have to convert into Moslem, as Moslem girls are not allowed to marry Christian men.

Good luck

Hello,
I just came across your post. I am happily married to an Egyptian girl. The process is not easy, specially I went through a lot of troubles. If they made you spend money etc on some sick relative hmmm something smells fishy unless they were very desperate.
Mahr is solely up to you and your wife. But sometimes families do get involved.
No, I assume that you are a Muslim as you are talking about Mahr, then it is definitely NOT OK to stay with the girl in the same house. You either stay at a hotel or with someone you know.
Depending on the family you will either get introduced to extended family or not.
And I also assume that you are a Pakistani, so the culture here is not different than that of Pakistan.
Feel free to send a message and I will be more than happy to help.

Hello...dear its me aman from Pakistan. i have to get information about something regrading wedding in egypt specially Embassy work.kindly if u do not mind give me your number or just let me know how can i reach u through EMAIL.
Thanks Bro...
[email protected]
waiting your reply

Asalam Alakum, Many thanks for your message. I am not actually married to an Egyptian girl. I was only trying to get an idea of their marriage traditions and customs.

I am sorry, but I am unable to help on this occasion.

Best of luck,

I'm happily married to an egyptian man, the process is so much easier being the girl. When I went to meet his family the whole entire family came out to celebrate our wedding and my birthday. Because my husband loves in sharm and his family stay in Alexandria we have to go to them.

I was very very welcomed into their family however o know this is not the case for all English marrying Egyptians.

I got married in the British embassy which is why his family could not attend

Good on you Holly.So I see u have married to an Egyptian in Egypt.

Tell me as you were engaged you got to meet every single person from your husbands family and   extended family as well? such as his uncles, aunties, cousins, grand parents, friends , neighbours etc?

Also before you were officially married to him, did you stay at his office during the time you were going through the paperwork?

be happy786------------------off topic: are you serious you want a marriage with an egy lady?

What's wrong with marrying an egyptian ?

Hi Meme1- There is nothing serious at the moment involving myself an Egyptian.

I was only trying to understand their marriage customs, traditions and expectations.

Do you have something you would like to share with me regarding this ?