Have to work in Randburgh and Midrand ( 2 offices ) : Where to live ..

Hi there

I have an offer and currently live in the UK after spending 2 years in Nairobi - Kenya. The traffic is a nightmare and also as with Nairobi crime is a huge concern.

My main place would be Randburgh but the other unit is in Midrand. So I can either live around Midland and on odd days during the day goto Randburgh or vice versa.

I am also a keen golfer..... I have visited Jo-burg twice and been taken around the good bits etc. I would only need a 2 bed place, no kids but my fiancee is black, I know things have moved on but I have lots of friends etc in Kenya who are from Jo-burg and say it shouldn't be an issue.

I want to spend as least as possible on accomodation but must have security etc.

I have read lots of info on the pages and also living in Africa I am not as virginal as some. My job in the UK is only slightly less pay than this but I love Africa and would love to get out and about... Any feedback would be excellent... Need to make a decision within 2 weeks.

Thanks

Hi,
I moved to Midrand at the end of 2006...it is a quiet town and very convenient because it is exactly in the middle between Joburg and Pretoria... Traffic can be a problem at rush hour if you are commuting to one of the big cities, but not a real problem within Midrand...
Security is always a concern, but not as bad as some people make it to be...
My advice is get accommodation within a security complex/Estate and install an alarm system in the house...also avoid going to certain places and you will be alright...
I am currently working outside of South Africa, but my family still lives there...
It is a beautiful country with beautiful people and it is also considerably cheaper to live in than the UK..
Good luck..
Khalid

Hi

Have you managed to secure a rental? If not, I would suggest you consider a central suburb between Midrand and Randburg. Bear in mind when we have load - shedding (is a real pain) this creates even more congestion on the roads.
I would recommend Fourways, Bryanston or Douglasdale.  All three areas are easily accessible to the Midrand and Randburg and all the freeways. 

Security is a big issue, so try look for a cluster or townhouse within a security/ lifestyle estate. 24 hour access control offering excellent security is imperative.

Cool, I got a place in Fourways just Willie Nichol Rd is a pain in the backside lol, Thanks though

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please provide infos on the forum itself
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct