Going to Kuala Lumpur, need some advice!

Hello everyone,
I'm a Polish Student and in August I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur and I will be studying in University of Malaya being a member of Erasmus Programme. I've never been to Asia and I know very little about Malaysia. I need some tips or advice, especially when it comes to finding a flat to rent. I would be grateful if you could tell me something about living in Kuala Lumpur or recommend me some websites I could find some information, for example about the accomodation. thanks in advance!

Hi how long will you stay? Budget? I presume you would want a flat share

I'm staying there for 6 monhts.  I would prefer to have a little flat for my own but I don't know how expensive it would be...

one month 200$

You can get easily.

Own place is difficult for only 6 months and you would have to pay RM1-2k per month. Flat sharing take a look at www.ibilik.my and www.mudah.com.my sometimes they also have whole apartments.

iproperty.com.my - I suggest you start checking this site for flat or studio. Malaysia is a very easy country same as other asian country. You treat the people with respect and obey the government rules then you can never go wrong. I also suggest you start learning Bahasa- Malay language, start with easy ones just for you to go around the city.

Transportation is excellent - just be careful on taxi drivers just asked them to use their meter or better yet just take the train if and when possible.

Food - Its ok.. there is a lot of selection and Malaysian Food is a fusion of almost everything because of the multi - culture set-up.

People - Well People are people there is good and bad in every culture in all country.. So just be careful and trust no one unless they are worth trusting.

Overall Malaysia is a very wonderful country which you will enjoy.. So I hope you will enjoy your journey!

thank you very much!

Not sure how good this link is

http://erasmusu.com/en/erasmus-kuala-lu … rsity-dorm

I would like to add that modesty in the way visitors dress is important in Malaysia, because of its Muslim background. This means not exposing too large expanses of the body and definitely not the belly. Normal clothes are fine, but a little caution on wearing typical skimpy European beach or holiday wear, especially as you will be in the city area. Shorts are in fashion and worn, but perhaps for leisure and not during lectures.

thank you for all the advice ;) to specify - I am not sure yet whether I prefer the academic dormitory or living on my own. I the beginning maybe it would be easier to live in the university campus, but I would like to be more independent and discover Kuala Lumpur by myself. that's why I'm thinking about little flat/apartament.I heard that in Kuala Lumpur there are some condominium with condos to rent - what should I know about it? How much does it cost? I would like to pay for my accomodation about 800-1000 ringgits - what do you suggests?

In kl i don't think the price is between 2200 to 2500 for appartment.

Nothing under 2k. A small single room is 1,000 to 1,500 rm per month anywhere decent in kl. Cheaper places are nit for foreigners.

A one bed condo is typically 3-4k per month these days. Some very small studios are cheaper. And I mean hotel room size.

well, actually I can pay more but I read that in KL renting condo is really cheap.... and what about shared room? what is the cost of something like that?

according to ur budget you may find some sharing accommodation better then independent condo
good luck

Hi, I am a former UM student. UM has their own hostel for international students with equipment. Nothing to be worried. Just contact the international affairs and they would love to assist you. :)

I wouldn't recommend the school's dorm as i'm an expat myself and studied here, finding a room in a condo would be the best option. Renting a studio flat would cost you from 1500 ringgits onwards depending on the place, the medium or master room in a condo has a range of 1000rm onwards. Again everything depends on how clean, close to the train station the condo is. Currently i am looking for a room in KL downtown and i would suggest you look for these areas:

- Setiawangsa [Seri Maya condo]
- PWTC area [Villa Puteri condo, Bistari condo, Regalia residences]
- Dang Wangi area [Capsquare condo, Menara City One]
- Ampang area
- Bangsar area

I don't have much info unfortunately but i think these areas are the best and safest options for an expat professional or a student.

Regards.

Ok,  Thank you!  The crucial infomation for me are the areas where I should be searching for a flat so your post would be really helpful :)

Hi,
I think propwall.com is a good website on property rentals. And if you need any specific advice, you are welcome to send me a direct

Hi Sarah,

You are in for quite a ride.  I've attached the link to my blog that might give you some insight into an expats introduction to KL.

Good Luck

Clare

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Link for your blog not allowed

the area I am staying at IS pretty convenient. 2 minutes walk to the train station and near to city centre. I think the rental there is about RM2,200 FOR A FULLY FURNISHED studio. if you are interested can pm me.

check out the facebook group "expats/interns kuala lumpur" and airbnb.

Iceman, I like those very important tips presented in a simplified way. Thank you.