Doing business in Nepal

Hi,

are foreign investors welcome in Nepal?

Is it complicated to register a company in Nepal? What is the procedure?

What is the corporate tax rate in Nepal?

Is it easy to recruit?

Any advice you would share with us?

Thank you very much for your participation,

Julien

In nepal its very easy to open a bussiness, just you need to get the visa for bussiness, and register your bussiness, i advise you to do something extra there, i am from nepal working in Dubai now,

Kamal Adhikari

Yes, You can do business in nepal easily. Just need procedure above mention but you need to do lots of paper work.

(Moderated)

Thanks for your contribution.;)

Harmonie.

Hi,
Thank you very much for yours massage.yes, you can do all another also in you do partnership any  travel company then  you do travel business but you have know me what kind of business do you want here .

thank you very much again
best regards,
Ram

Nepal does invite foreign investment. With proof of atleast $20,000 UDS investment (start up) capital a business visa can be applied for and received. It must be renewed annually, if you wish to keep your business above the table.
The corporate tax rate is reasonable compared to the rest of the world markets, but you may find Nepal has more 'red tape' then in other investment markets.
http://www.taxrates.cc/html/nepal-tax-rates.html

It is easy to recruit staff, while attracting qualified staff may be a bit more complicated. Those with high education degrees, certifications or advanced experience have their sights set beyond the borders of Nepal.

Nepal is a very young democracy and is open for growth. Don't be of long hours or hard work, you will needed it.

hi
what about the Norway residency permit.if visa is rejected we will do appeal but that also same case after that any way to go Norway?

if you have any idea about the residency permit in Norway?

you can call me
i can help you

Hi nirkarki,

Welcome to expat-blog!

can you please post more information about the kind of help you are offering.

Thank you,

David.

Dear Sir,

Nameste

My name is achuty Raj Panday Live in Kathmandu, Nepal . I a m working here tourism sector in Nepal. I have export & Import Company , Travel & Tours service, open the new copnay for abroad people  if you need any information about Nepal Business  you can  directly email me or call me .

Hello Raj Panday -> If you have some informations on Doing business in Nepal, do not hesitate to share them directly on the forum. Other members could benefit from it as well. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

I want to know more detail about import and export business.

It's quite easy to set up businesses and get Visa in Nepal the most and easy way to open business in Nepal is contact any one Nepali and offer for partnership or what you can also do is you can make a letter of partnership with any of the Nepali and You can start other procedures

The best way to get into business here is to come in August on a tourist visa. That will allow you to stay until May of the next year with 5 months in each calendar year.

Yes, get to know Nepali, but don't go into business with just anyone. The predominating belief about tourists is that we have so much money we can never run out and therefore if anyone wants to 'help' you out of some of it there is no problem.

If you do as the Nepali here seem to be saying, just start a business with someone, you can get deported when the Nepali partner takes more than his share or doesn't measure up in some way. There would be no one to complain to and visa issues will get in the way. You will have to be deported, but at your own expense. You may not do business in Nepal unless you have a Business visa. There are a lot of tourists that get into trouble with visa issues. Don't let the local Nepali tell you it is no problem.

So, if you come in August you would have 10 months to figure out what kind of business you would like to do and then find a good Nepali partner to do business with. Then you need to put $20,000 in escrow and follow the other criteria for business visas.

I wrote a book that helps tourists to come here and have a successful, safe time. Check out my blog where I talk about many of the things you will want to know about Nepal. I write to encourage people to come here for whatever reason. It is really a country whose time has come. There are a lot of business opportunities here.

hello,
my advice is a little different than the replies above.
first go to Kathmandu.
while there talk to other westerners that know what is happening.
get one of them to send a lawyer to talk to you.  (no charge).  the charges come later if you proceed.
the lawyer will tell you that you do not need a Nepali partner.
not only do you not need, you should not have a Nepali partner.  reason, if you leave the country, your Nepali partner can easily, legally take the business and you have nothing.
do not try to start a business out of a big city.  no village inns or anything like that.  it is just too easy to run you off, once the investment has been made.
you do not need to put $20,000 in a Nepali bank, or even have $20,000 in your own bank at home.  you just have to have a written business plan, where you will be investing the $20,000 over a period of time, usually 5 years.  if you are doing import/export this is very easily done.
the people are all smiles and friendly, until they see the money stream stopping.
all this notwithstanding, the Nepalis are the friendliest people in the world.
just know that going to Nepal and trying to make money there is very difficult.  Most people do not succeed.  the most successful are those that are there supplying stores in the western world.  they are using their shopping contacts to get the best prices and quality and making their profit on the other end.  doing that, you can be very successful.  you would need to become a world traveler to visit these stores in the western world to make sales calls and contacts face to face.  very worthwhile.
your business visa will be for 1 year easily renewable.  after a certain number of years of this, it can be (i believe) changed to a 5 or 10 year business visa.
if you marry a Nepali woman, things are very different, and much easier, but you should still be cautious.

Hi artbyjoe,

That was really interesting info u have. Do you have an email to chat more?

Which type of Business is easy to start and Profitable in Nepal.  for Foreigners

artbyjoe wrote:

hello,
my advice is a little different than the replies above.
first go to Kathmandu.
while there talk to other westerners that know what is happening.
get one of them to send a lawyer to talk to you.  (no charge).  the charges come later if you proceed.
the lawyer will tell you that you do not need a Nepali partner.
not only do you not need, you should not have a Nepali partner.  reason, if you leave the country, your Nepali partner can easily, legally take the business and you have nothing.
do not try to start a business out of a big city.  no village inns or anything like that.  it is just too easy to run you off, once the investment has been made.
you do not need to put $20,000 in a Nepali bank, or even have $20,000 in your own bank at home.  you just have to have a written business plan, where you will be investing the $20,000 over a period of time, usually 5 years.  if you are doing import/export this is very easily done.
the people are all smiles and friendly, until they see the money stream stopping.
all this notwithstanding, the Nepalis are the friendliest people in the world.
just know that going to Nepal and trying to make money there is very difficult.  Most people do not succeed.  the most successful are those that are there supplying stores in the western world.  they are using their shopping contacts to get the best prices and quality and making their profit on the other end.  doing that, you can be very successful.  you would need to become a world traveler to visit these stores in the western world to make sales calls and contacts face to face.  very worthwhile.
your business visa will be for 1 year easily renewable.  after a certain number of years of this, it can be (i believe) changed to a 5 or 10 year business visa.
if you marry a Nepali woman, things are very different, and much easier, but you should still be cautious.

lots of good information there but do I read you correctly? You said that, with a Nepalese partner, if you leave the country, he can claim full ownership w/o even returning your initial investment. Is that regardless of the percentage of the business owned by each investor? I know Nepal doesn't recognize international copyright laws, for example, but is it so lawless that foreign investors virtually have no rights? Could you list your sources where you obtained this information? You also said the initial startup capital (regardless of the number of years it takes to invest that amount, is $20,000.00 USD I have since read that the initial start-up capital is actually $50,000.00 USD. Maybe it's changed since your original post or maybe you were referring to a currency other than USD?

hello,
my source of information was meeting with a lawyer in Kathmandu who specialized in this , primarily for westerners.
this was 2 or 3 years ago.  time flies.  for the straight, believable info, fly in yourself and ask westerners for a recommendation for a lawyer.  the cost of an airline ticket from Thailand is quite low.  also, go up and down the streets of Tamel, talking to westerners that do business there.

artbyjoe wrote:

hello,
my source of information was meeting with a lawyer in Kathmandu who specialized in this , primarily for westerners.
this was 2 or 3 years ago.  time flies.  for the straight, believable info, fly in yourself and ask westerners for a recommendation for a lawyer.  the cost of an airline ticket from Thailand is quite low.  also, go up and down the streets of Tamel, talking to westerners that do business there.

Not to question the veracity of your comments but I'd be surprised if Nepal doesn't impose any restrictions on foreign investments in a company in Nepal.

This may be nitpicking but are foreign investors treated as shittily as foreign owners in Nepal?

helo
everyone. currently i am working for a company. i have been living in ktm for 20yrs
i would love to help any foreighneer  to know them and let them know things around.
and i would be happy to start a business with them since i cannot do on my own due to lack of capital.

Hello
I am from India, My name is Rajeev. Me and my wife are looking to settle in Nepal. We are looking to set up business there. Can you just help me, or if you are looking to get partners, please feel free to write me.
My email, [email protected]

Hi Rajeev,

Concerning your wish to do a partnership, i will advise you to post in the Business partners classifieds in Nepal section please. It can help you to get in touch with investors / partners.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

You may find your answer on here.

nrn.org.np/aboutnepal/Foreign%20Investment%20in%20Nepal%20.pdf

http://www.investnepal.gov.np/portal/in … DgwLnBkZjo

Okei
Thanks

want to do small scale business

or

trading

I am indian by relegion hindu from kolkata, west bengal.

I want to start travel agency business with foreign investors. Myself i am honest and i am working in tourism field from last 7 years here in kathmandu as tourism different types of staffs like some time all rounder, some time tour officer, some time ticketing officer, sometime correspondence officer and now working as  licensed trek and tour guide.  Iam just 25 years old and Tourism master degree holder. I am against to cheat people and owner, its my ethics so i am still struggling in kathmandu, but i hope be honest one day i get like "Parisramko fal mitho hun6: working hard we get tasty fruit". Be Honest for good Karma. you can email me on [email protected] or contact me on +9779841770764

If you are willing to do business in Nepal. lets talk about it.
feel free to contact
email:[email protected]

I am from India, Chennai. I am interested to start a restaurent in Nepal , Katmandu. I need some legal advice and procedure. Kindly send me the details. Thank u ..
Shyamkumar.

Chennai.

Sir, i wil send mail to u..
Tq.

Dear shymya , greeting from aryal !
i am working in hotel hospitality sector, i have 12 years experience if you want open any kind of hotel and restaurant business in kathmandu please email me !
Best regards
aryal ([email protected])

Yeah, there are lots of untapped resources in Nepal in every sectors, we can join hands to get benefitted on mutual basis. Welcome all the invester in Nepal. We specially suggest you to invest in hydro power/tourism/agro sectors.

Please let us know your due interest.

Welcome once again.

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder that the topic of this thread is mainly on the procedures and any information needed to start a business in Nepal. It would be great if we could keep to the topic please.

If you have any job offer or search related query, you can post an ad in the Jobs in Nepal section. Additionally, if you are looking for a business partner, please post your ad in the Business partners classifieds in Nepal section.

Thank you,

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

I am currently on a tourist vusa and researching business in accommodation and onselling tours and  treks.  The business needs to be based in Ktm.  I am interested in joining a partnership or leasing a building for accom on my own for the right price.  Need to get a lawyer as well to make a contract. How much should one cost?  What length of contract  duration is good for a first time business owner in Nepal?
What do I need to be careful of when drawing up contract and with the other partners.
Hiw much needs to be invested fir a 5 yr visa ir can a 1 yr business visa be renewed annually with or without furrther financial investment?
Thanks

the hard part is finding a lawyer you can trust.  many will walk away with your money others will overcharge you.  be careful cause many will make it sound like a walk in the park to do business in nepal and will encourage you to invest and that you'll be backed by them whatever happens - not true -

for a business license / visa i was quoted from $200 to $2000.

if you get a business license to operate your business; you're entitled to get a 6 months or 1 year visa.  although you must also prove with your tax returns that your business in making a certain profit / quota; otherwise the license will be revoked.

another obstacle is that as a foreigner you're expected to play by the book; whereas your local competitors know and can access loopholes in the system.  thus making your services or products non-competitive in the market.

I have recently (on 13th April, 2015, to be precise) returned from Nepal. I was in Pokhara for about a month. The purpose of my visit was to see if I could reside here and find some sort of job, in tourism sector or may be find a person who would be interested to open a backpacker hostel (I found no backpacker hostel in Pokhara--with dormitories and all, as they have in Bangkok and Chiang Mai; if there's any, I'm certain it would be nothing more than a few beds piled in one room, which is no way near to my idea of backpacker hostel) and enlightening travelers about the places to do in India and Nepal ( for most people do both of these countries together). A place that would be staffed by volunteers with 1-2 permanent employees. And I have found that Pokhara has a huge potential for such a venture. Now, if anyone out there is interested to discuss something about the possibilities: you're welcome.

Another thing that made me take more interest in Nepal is that majority of its populace understand fair amount of Hindi.

Hey,
I am an IT professional and I want to start my IT business in Nepal. Any one interested ? please let me know.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your phone number on a public forum for your own security

Good morning !
Thank you for posting your questions..Iam doing a tourism business in nepal trekking , travel and hotel business , foreigner can invest in nepal I think the law said has to be partnership with some Nepali or solo . The tax in 13 % vat straight from sales . 26.5 % income tax 1 % salary tax and some other provision.

If you wish to reach me please add me on skype : ram.barakoti

I will be happy to help you.

Have a good day

Ram

Hi everybody,

Those who are looking for a business partner, please post your ad in the Business partners classifieds in Nepal section, it is more appropriate.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

very easy sir.with nepali partneer.