The drive thru Mexico was a piece of cake...

looking forward to doing it again....was lost the minute I crossed over....started in Brownsville...went thru the mountains, thenback to the coast... My debit card worked at all Pemex and If I broke out my map someone would point toward the next town. My only problem was how to order food.  you must watch for speed bumps and the Mexican habit of making a two lane into a three lane.road.. I really,really want to do it again

longd549 -

Would enjoy knowing more about your experience heading through MX , as am considering the same entry point and continuing to Belize.  Possibly in a small Class C RV, Have been doing some semi-serious research on caravans through ect.   Thanks for your input........
T.B.

not sure what size a class c is. I loved the drive down, in San Ignatio Belize now. Everybody has a hand out,you have to deal with that. If you are going to RV it better be a small one with a lot of power and it will get beat to pieces on the speed bumps ,pedestrian crossings and serious pot holes . I drove a 99 minivan and now I am thinking of selling it down here, flying back and getting a better and higher ride and coming back. I left the states on May12 so I don't know everything. I want to drive down to Costa Rica but worry about me van. I will try to answer any question I can. Good luck

Thanks for the reply, and congrats on getting to Belize.  Sounds like you took your time, looks like about a 7 day journey from what I can see by your posts.  Never been to Belize but have researched it extensively, especially the San Ignacio area. 
I have read through many blog posts about the drive and the condition of the roads always comes up regarding the "speed bumps & pot holes", the vehicle we are planning on traveling with is a class C RV , 21 ft , It is about the same length as a conversion van, has a van front to it with the sleeper over the cab and all self contained,stove generator, small restroom, ect.  weighs about 6000pds, does have descent power, I wouldn't consider it in anything larger I don't think, would definitely take our time and be cautious with road conditions, but you know the best how that will go..
How did the boarder crossing(s) go?  How did they determine your vehicle fee at the Belize boarder...?
Thanks again for the response and glad to hear you are there, have a great time and enjoy.........

TB

They go to a book like the Kelly Blue Book to get what the RV would be worth and then you accessed from that. Mine was a 1999 and the book goes back only so far,  if you don't plan on leaving it then it is listed on your passport Local insurance is more expensive. Crossed at Brownsville in 30 min, same thing for Belize. I would get my insurance online

Thanks for the update......

Not sure if you have followed me on  facebook  but I have got most of info there.  David long or [email protected]

Will check it out , Thanks for making the info available, sure we will learn a lot, concerned about tearing up the RV on the way down.......

Thanks David,

TB

Hello and hope you don't mind if I respond. I've made the drive twice entering both times from Brownsville. This past Feb when we arrived at the border everyone recounted the gang wars going on out of Matamoros. We were in a semi-converted Blue Bird bus and decided to take our chances. Once a local Mexican tourist guide helped us navigate through the city to 180 we just stayed on the coastal route and had no problems. We never drive at night and being in a bus with a Bob Marley painted on one of the windows we circumvent the major cities like Tampico and Veracruz. Of course not driving at night it takes us a good three days to get to the border of Belize. Just don't admit you can speak any Spanish and you'll be fine. Good luck.
PS Be sure to have the original title and for your RV. Tell Mecican customs you are heading straight for Belize. You will purchase a permit to travel through Mexico which cost us $300 USD. They plaster it on your windshield. A walkthru of your RV to see what you have inside and off you'll go. We had all kinds of tools and two brand new generators for building our house in Belize. Mexican customs barely paid them any notice. Be sure to go to currency exchange and have plenty of coinage for tolls. We found that no one takes US dollars but credit cards are no problem at the Pemex stations. Just be sure to notify your bank re travel in MX and BZ. Enjoy your trip.

Good Morning! The Mexican permit. Was that $300.00 because it was a motor home? Is it cheaper for a car?

I found your msg helpful.  I currently live in Mexico for the past two and half years and love it. I   would like to drive my car down to the Caribbean from Seattle, Wa but have been hesitant not sure about the best course and what to expect.  Does anyone know of the best route to take? Or more specifically which ones to avoid.  I am a retired female traveling alone.  Is this an absolute no? And I DO not speak Spanish.  What about permits etc.  Any advice is appreciated.  Having no vehicle makes it difficult to get around.

What is the best route to take from Wa state to Yucatan in MX?? Want to get my car down there as I live there.  Not sure about safety or getting over border.  Is it safe alone? Any recommendations from anyone who has done it.  I live about 3hr drive from Belize on coast.  Better to ship? Permits and safety big concern.

Hola, when were you thinking of driving down. I hope to meet with another couple July 4th. I am a single male, and also somewhat hesitant. I am also wondering about places to stay? What time should one start looking for a motel?

Thanks very much for that info, How were the road conditions??
We too are planning the coastal route and were thinking of the BRownsville entry....

Are you in BZ now and working on your Digs......?

thx,

T.B.

When you get to the Mexican border just tell them you are traveling through to Belize.  We always cross the border in Brownsville and drive the coastal route down through Tampico and Veracruz then east to Chetumal.  It avoids the chaos of Mexico City.  Some say its better not to speak Spanish as the Mexican police just get frustrated and let you go.   You will need to have a permit to drive through MX which you purchase at the border once you cross over.  We paid $300 US.  Be sure to exchange some funds as we found no place in MX takes US currency but credit cards are no problem.  There are lots of toll roads through part of the coastal route so MX coinage is necessary.  Be sure to have your title and a notarized bill of sale for when you get to Belize.  Duty on the vehicle will be based on the bill of sale otherwise you are at their mercy and the duty can be as much as 76% of the Blue Book value.  AND DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT is  our suggestion.  If you don't want to go through all that you can buy a car when you get there and avoid the duty.  I can even recommend a place to buy a solid pre-owned vehicle from the US.   I'm open to a phone call if you have more questions.  We can talk about the phone number if you decide you want to talk more.  I live part of the year in Belize so I have been through much of this before and will be returning in Nov on a more permanent basis.  I hope this was helpful and good luck.

I know a good guy in Belmopan who sells vehicles he imports for the US.  They are good solid vehicles if you're interested I can hook you up.

Lewis and Lewis is a good agency that we used on our last trip this past Feb and we were driving in a Blue Bird bus semi converted to a motor home.

We paid $300 the year before for a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I think its a pretty standard price.

At $300.00 a pop; you would think the Mexican government would make travel safe, and easy.

My two experiences were no problem and actually on the second trip in the hippy bus I expected much more trouble than we encountered which was none.  We just don't drive at night and stay on the main routes.

We are wondering about driving a car down from US to Belize that we are still making payments on. Any comments? Difficulties that you can see?

I'm in Kansas City (Royals, Chiefs) and am retiring in Corozal, BZ.  I have a Prius v and would like to keep it.  If I drive to BZ thru MX is there a place to cross over where there is no control?  Transiting MX and having to pay $300+ tolls seems a bit overdone.  I will be crossing the interior since the coastal route is really out of my way.  Any issues with the interior travel?  What shipping options are available and how much?

Thanks amigo  :)

What do you think of the Corozal area?