Job offer and living in johor Baharu

Hi everyone,
i am PhD with 9 year working experience in polymer R&D in which 7 year in abroad and now based in Mumbai, India.
i am married with 2.5 year old baby who will start school next year.

Got an job offer from Johor Baharu offering me 13500 rm with tax per month.what is your thought abt this salary.
what should a decent salary with this experience ?

I have gone through this forum and got to know
1) two bed room fullfurnished apt 1500~2000 rm
2) International kindergarten fee might be 1500~2000 rm
3) grocery (veg n non alcoholic)        ??
4) utility                                              ??
5) used one car cost                          ??
6) could u please give me thought  abt EPF/ superannuation will be shared by both or by me according to Malaysia goverment rule
Regards

1) two bed room fullfurnished apt 1500~2000 rm
2) International school 1500~2000 rm - kindergarten RM500-750
3) grocery 1200 (inlcuding nappies and fortified milks etc).
4) utility  500 (no aircon but internet and tv package)
5) used one car cost  - dont buyanything too old as will break down - just got expensive as 6% GST now added - look on www.mudah.my for prices. Hire for about RM1.2k per month - car loans not really possible and 40% down. Fuel RM300. 
6) EPF - most companies dont pay into it as there is no law that says they have to. The max is about 11% you and 12% employer but dont think you will be offered it.

Salary is good but Johor is Johor. Only benefit is its proximity to Singapore, where many inhabitants to and work.

Thanks Gravitas for your prompt reply.
They just offered this14000 rm base salary and they wants my feedback abt salary.
i just want to know as i have 9 years experience and doing job as senior scientist in India...so how much i should negociate??
As i came to know upto 182 days 25% flat tax....HR telling me after 182 days tax slab will work and i will get some discount in taxation as( i have baby and wife not doing job) HR told me tax will be around 16% on this offering salary...is it seem sound ????

Thanks

Tax slabs on annual salary are (divided by 12 for monthly deduction)
0-5,000                0%                                                 
5,000-10,000      1% (RM50 )
10,001-20,000    1%  (RM100)
20,001-35,000    5%  (RM750)
35,001-50,000   10%  (RM1,500)
50,001-70,000   16% (RM3,200)
70,001-100,000   21% (RM6,300)
100,001-250,000  24% (RM36,000)
250,001-400,000  24.5% (RM36,750)
Exceeding 400 000  25%  (+)

Salary guide
http://www.academia.edu/9843873/Kelly_S … lary_guide

COL is at least 30% higher in Malaysia so that is a starting point. If you will not be gaining any pension contributions (EPF) then that is important as part of any negotiation as you need to save 20% of takehome salary yourself.

To live in a nice area your housing cost will be higher than you have projected.

Hi first epf for foreigners is not a right. The employer has to offer it but they only have to add 5 RM per month. Yes five ringett. They may offer more but don't have to.

Whether it is a good salary depends on lots of factors. Good Ph.D.s in physics or chemistry get 20k plus but racism being what it is Indians from India get underpaid. We see that in medicine, education and IT. Just a fact of life in Malaysia.

Secondly jb is not klang valley where I have a reasonable idea about salaries. In lecturing for common subjects like IT or business/economics rates are low 3-6k. But a good phd in physics can get 20k-25k. Actually i was shocked by that but it is supply and demand. Often they earn more on the side as well. But an owner of a decent mamak earns that with only spm level and so does a diver. So why shouldn't a phd in physics or chemistry earn that amount?

Salaries in Malaysia are notoriously hard to judge as an expat as salaries are artificially low as only young or the unambitious stay that way. Usually salaried staff either start own business or earn a second income (legitimate or otherwise). Eg lecturers make a lot more in consultancy work.

As for cost of living you can survive on 12k (after tax approx) and save a bit if no major illness etc. Usually ebeyone should invest 30% of salary as deferred income for old age.  Proper medical insurance is a must. How much depends on you. And if a fair salary? Well you could ask for a little more and if they say yes easily no! If they resist then yes.