Life for women expats in Egypt

I am considering moving to Egypt to work. However, information I find about the daily life for women is absolutely terrifying. I am wondering if the harassment/groping of women is a 'fact of life' in Egypt. That's how it sounds but I would be grateful to hear from expats who actually live and work there.

at first when u just arrive to cairo, its an absolute chaos. For sure there is a sexual harassment, all these naughty looks and sayings on the streets. but after some time you get used to this and you dont care anymore.
Just listening music and earphones and not hearing all of this :D

i think it is just comments some of bad guys say it but really there are not groping of women like any country

Egypt is ********* dont know what privacy and freedom mean , even kids say harassment words ,  judge u if u wear any thing , like short skirt , they targeting u as much as u free , life here is so tough

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Offensive words + please avoid generalize

Egypt is a beautiful place to live for a smart woman.. I wear whatever I want and do whatever I want do deal with a smile.. people consider me different but nobody has offended me

:o:D

These contradictory comments can be alot misleading, in Egypt each place is a culture. You can wear whatever you want and walk in the streets in places freely, and in other places you will just feel the repulsive looks from people.
Choose where you want to stay and live and you'll be fine.

People notice when you are not from the culture and they are nice to you.. just like in India if you are a foreigner you look different and dress differently people are nice and want to be helpful

like amina said. it would be easier if you're smart enough to handle it. you just need an egyptian female friend to make it much easier and you have to choose a good neighborhood to live and i recommend zamalek or maadi. these two have so many expats living there and would be nice if you become one of them.

i almost forgot, there's so many parties in maadi exclusively for foreigners every thursday in private villas and night clubs.
good luck and have a nice summer !

Hello Dear,

no need to fell worry, it is safe here

BR,
Kamal

Pega doesn't indicate where in Egypt she'll be living and working. As others have said, the treatment you'll get will very much depend on where you are. In most neighborhoods in Cairo where there is a population of expats (Maadi, Zamalek, Mohandiseen) you won't be bothered any more than you would be in a major US city. If you are in a more "Egyptian" neighborhood, you'll certainly be stared at and talked about.

Use your common sense. Dress modestly - no, you don't have to be veiled!, pay attention to your surroundings, don't walk alone at night. As a foreign woman, I have mainly been treated very well.

Hi Pega, I feel you're so worried but let me tell you I'm an Egyptian woman living in Maadi & moving everywhere in my country but some places I avoid to go because I know the culture there so after a while you'll be familiar to the areas & will choose where to go..

anyways if you'll come soon I'm offering great support to you if you like :)

just tell me & here you'll find many people can help you from the bottom of our heart <3

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : publicity of external links prohibited on the forum.

Pega, bottom line, it HUGELY depends on where are you staying, and what type of egyptian communities you are dealing with, which mainly depends on your location.

My SOLID advice to you, is that you have to study very well the areas you will frequently visit: home, work and hangouts. And next, you should try to explore the communities that make you feel comfortable.

I know these are very broad lines, but they are, because the details are huge.

Ask me more if you want.