Why is Pune such an unfriendly city ?

My son is a bachelor working in Infosys in Pune. He stays in a rented apartment in a Housing Society in Wakad. Yesterday, his landlord informed him that the Housing Society committee has decided that they will not allow bachelor girls and boys to rent apartments in their society and my son has been asked to vacate the flat by June end. Half the flats in the society are occupied by bachelor boys and girls from the IT sector and all of them have been served similar notices. I am told that many Housing societies have declared a similar policy.

Where will all these thousands of boys and girls live in Pune in the future ? I think the local authorities should take action against this practice of blatant discrimination. In case one of the bachelor tenants create any mischief, the society can ask him to go. But it is totally unacceptable that Housing societies in Pune wont rent out flats to all bachelors.

If this continues then I foresee a flight of talent from this city. IT companies will also drastically scale down their operations in Pune and move their employees to more friendlier cities. The dream of Pune becoming a preferred destination for IT companies will evaporate in thin air.

Regards,

Anjan Deb
Kolkata

To understand why this is happening, we need the background story.
Something must have happened if so many landlords are taking this action.

Sounds like perhaps the rents are too cheap compared to market forces and the Housing Society wants to cash in on double income families.

Hi Fred,

There must have been one or two instances of a bachelor tenant causing disturbance to the others (late night parties, loud music etc.) For that ask such tenants to leave. You cannot deprive all bachelors from renting flats just because of a few culprits. This is a very drastic decision and people will start thinking that Pune is an unfiendly city for expats

Hi Gravitas,
This is not the case. There is extensive construction of flats in Pune and supply is greater than demand. There is a large population of bachelor software engineers working in the software companies based in Pune. 50% of the flats in these residential complexes are rented out to bachelors. If they are asked to leave, then most of these flats will remain vacant, since there are not that many married families who can afford these flats

Well I guess they have a good reason to cut their income suddenly by leaving all the flats empty simultaneously. Sounds like a ploy to up the rent in any event and change the status of who can rent their properties. Nothing to do with Pune being unfriendly, just market forces or corporate decisions. Time will tell. Of course those who have to move out are disappointed but that is about all that can be said about the event.

If commercial reasons aren't behind this, then something else must be.
A mass kicking out doesn't happen for no reason, especially if there's going to be a major loss of income.

There appears to be no social reasons for this, nor is it common in that area.
There seems to be no laws governing this, nor discrimination against married and unmarried couples.
In fact, long term cohabiting couples seem to enjoy the same rights as legally married couples, suggesting no gender based rules regarding living anywhere they please.

The question is - what's happening and, if anything, is it just one building or all over the city?

There appears to be a massive glut of flats, but not even close to enough people wanting to rent them, so any such action by the owner would be extremely foolish.
Add the 10s of thousands of empty properties, either unsold or waiting to sell at a profit, and it's a buyer's market.

Nope - something else is happening here.

Many area in Pune not allowing unmarried couples or single due to common judgment of nuisances created or anticipation of will happen soon. Small group of people generally will not have issues, but large numbers staying in housing society or too many visitor visiting, loud noise, drinking, coming late into housing society, fighting with security guard, girls wearing strange clothes etc are example objected by housing society.

Simple advice will be avoid all of above & stay calm....I have never had issue with housing society or owner. Stayed 8 year with same owner & had group of 4 -6 people staying.