Who is studying Norwegian here????

Hi, I have just started Norwegian classes at Nygaardskole, which are great, but I am the only person there with English as a first language.
I was wondering if anyone else is studying here and would like to get together and practise norsk or drink coffee??? I am around in town in the afternoon, after my daily 4 hours of class!
Phoebe
:D

Hi Phoebe, I don't go anymore, but I found there were more people with English as a first language on the evening courses than the day time ones.

If you don't get any responses here, you might have some luck just hanging out in the canteen at break time and listening to catch those English voices!

:)

Hi Phoebe! I currently attend Nygårdskole! And, English is my first language. What days do you go?

Hey there. :)  I am needing to go.  I haven't been here for long,  but I really need to start learning the language.  No one has given me any information about the classes, can anyone help with where they are and how you get started? 

Thanks!

nygardskole.no/

This is the website for the language school in Bergen that most people attend. To register, you need to go to its location

maps.google.com/?ll=60.388828,5.330646&spn=0.001133,0.004128&t=h&z=19

The building is located on the corner of Lars-Hilles Gate and Strømgaten, and the building entrance itself is situated kind of in a hidden place, like an alley way. You will need to go there and register for classes.

The classes are highly multicultural, and they try to use as little English as possible when teaching, so you will need to get study aids to use at home, and definitely a Norwegian-English dictionary for when you don't understand the words being said.

Im not studying...yet I have been learning on my own. Can have a conversation but need help with Grammer etc.

Was thinking of Nygardskole as it is cheaper than Folkeuniversitet.

Hopefully I can join mid october - I am out of the country until then....

How are you all finding it?

How am I finding school? Well expensive, for one as I found out I have to pay, even though I'm married to a Norskman.  I have been studying for about a month and am definatly learning alot more than I did alone. I had kind of plateau-d there! My reading was good, but speaking poor and listening even worse! Now my speaking is much better but listening is still stuck. We currently learn Bokmal, yet in Bergen the speak fast, and in dialect!  I think one of the things this course is best at is grammar.  The hardest thing is the lack of english speakers during the day. I take my laptop into the library in the break. Being english and in the minority is certainly a new experience!

how easy is it to learn this language?how long does it take to learn the basics of norweign?

[Moderated]

Hi,
I'm not living in Norway yet, but will be in a couple of years, my husband is Norwegian. I am taking Norwegian 101 and 102 from the University of North Dakota online. It's an amazing program and you can take it from anywhere. The text book is really good I think and it makes it very clear and easy to understand the rules. Also, Louis Janus' book on Norwegian grammar is great. Perhaps this class would be helpful since it's taught in English.

Hilarie

hell hindsey!

how long does it take to learn norweign,atleast to a basic level?

hilsidney wrote:

Hi,
I'm not living in Norway yet, but will be in a couple of years, my husband is Norwegian. I am taking Norwegian 101 and 102 from the University of North Dakota online. It's an amazing program and you can take it from anywhere. The text book is really good I think and it makes it very clear and easy to understand the rules. Also, Louis Janus' book on Norwegian grammar is great. Perhaps this class would be helpful since it's taught in English.

Hilarie

Hi guys, im studying nygårdskole. My class is 12:30 til 4 Pm.. Phoebe how come you are paying your married to a norwegian youre not uspposed to. I came here i used topay but when i got married everything is free...maybe ypu should ask nygård about it... I would like to help you.. :)

hey,i am not very new in bergen ,but today i decided i want to learn norvegian ,so like that i finde this blog,i seen you already done the course ,maybe you can help me?

Hi, I intend to move to Bergen too.
Right now started learning Norwegian in my home country.
My personal opinion is that is better to learn the language before I get there, at least the basics.

So any ideas where to find more materials online?