Wanting advice on moving from Australia to Philippines

Hi
I'm 42 years old and am looking for a major change in life
Have been think of going to Philippines for 6 months to see if I like it there and if I do plan on moving there.
Few questions I have
1. Where is the best place to live? (Safe and close to everything, beaches)
2. How much would I need to have to live comfortably for the 6 months I'm there.
3. Am I able to rent a house in a gated community for the 6 months.

I have many more questions but I thought 3 would do for now

Thank in advance
Darren

Figure $2,000 a month U.S.  to live well here.   You can lease a house for 6 months. Furnished.  $300 to $1000 a month U.S.  I would recommend smaller towns but not to small. Under a million but over 250,000. For shopping and such.  Many beach's here.

What areas are best for new people moving or looking to move to Philippines

Hi,

Try if you like Tuguegarao City, Cagayan Valley Province, it's safe living here.  Search in the internet if you like this place. There are beaches  nearby towns and the weather is between 24 to 36 degrees Celsius.  Groceries, restaurants, hotels, resorts, airport, malls and all Regional Offices is located in this place.  Public transportation is easy here, you can ride tricycle (motorcyle with side car), Calesa ( horse pulling a cart) and jeepneys for short distance.  Vans and buses for long distance.  You can also rent a car if you want.  One of the spot  visited by most tourists is the Callao Cave, it's 7 chambers cave and the people living on that place were mostly natives or what is called Aetas/Ita, that place is like one hour away from the city.  Living in Tuguegarao City is not that expensive. You can live in a comfortable life with the estimated costs of US$1,000 to US$1,500 per month and that includes everything like foods, shelter and others but that depends on you - on how you handle money and what kind of living you are looking for.  That amount actually can still either be decrease or increase, as I told you, it depends upon you.  Hope that helps.

It actually depends on your lifestyle

Hello AussieDaz,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

I would suggest you to have a look on the different discussions available on the Philippines forum like Cost of living in the Philippines and Find an accommodation in the Philippines.

You will find lots of information by browsing on the forum..:)

Thank you
Yuveshen

waxytweety4 wrote:

It actually depends on your lifestyle

I agree.
One person says: "You can live in a comfortable life with the estimated costs of US$1,000 to US$1,500 per month"

But how do we define a "comfortable life"  ?

My costs include US$1,000 per month just for my accommodation, as I prefer a "comfortable place to stay" based on my previous lifestyle.
I could find something easily for US$250 per month, but it would be far less than what i am accustomed to.

So, as you say: "It actually depends on your lifestyle" is the perfect answer.

I like to eat potatoes and cheese, and with ONE decent size potato costing $2, and decent cheese at $20 kg, I need more like US$2,500 per month to live a normal lifestyle.

Moving to the Philippines means either having a decent amount of money, OR adapt to the Philippines way of life.

The Philippines is not cheap for a western lifestyle.
Housing for example is an eye opener.  The same size house in Australia and the Philippines, shows that Philippine houses in reasonable areas are more expensive to buy than most Australian reasonable areas.

:)
Yes I would like to live comfortably air on and hot water and internet a must.
Food well I'm open to anything. I could afford to lose some kgs  :top:
I was thinking of spending 6 mths of the year in Philippines and 6 mths back in Australia
I would rent my house out in Australia for the 6 mths I'm away

Any thoughts on best places to live. I love to scuba dive

If you love beach.. you can go near the beach area.. like in batangas or cebu..

Squares Apartments in Puerto Galera is nice, and affordable on monthly terms, and is very handy for Scuba in the area.

If you do stay there, tell Rose I told you about them, she runs it with her British Husband.  I spent half a year there myself.  BUT... no MacDonalds, no Malls,

Google them:
Squares Apartments, Tabinay, Puerto Galera, Mindoro, Philippines

This is the actual view from the apartment door.
http://www.abcdiamond.com/images/WP_000492.jpg

I have never seen a $2 Potato. They are readily available in local Markets at a reasonable Price.
As is all Fresh Meat and Vegetables.
We buy Fresh Beefsteak for 250 Pesos a kilo. In Germany it eould cost almost €30.
You just have to ignore the insanitary conditions, and cook the Meat well.
But you are right about Cheese.

Rammers wrote:

I have never seen a $2 Potato. .

Potatoes were 84 pesos per kilo (A$2.43 per kg) at SM, and this ONE weighed 724 grams, a nice size for jacket potato. It cost 61 pesos which is A$1.77, almost A$2

I was used to paying about a third of that back home.  But... I eat more rice now ;)

https://scontent-hkg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11021521_1586466064966047_6757641360384804378_n.jpg?oh=28667cfae0104bfeebf569a6a106fc41&oe=557AFAF3

@ABCDiamond,
May I ask you how much you paid in PG to rent an apartment in Tabinay?
I plan to move in mid-july with my wife and our baby and looking for long term rent.
If you have any other recommendations or place to avoid, don't hesitate  :)
Thanks

Bert63 wrote:

@ABCDiamond,
May I ask you how much you paid in PG to rent an apartment in Tabinay?
I plan to move in mid-july with my wife and our baby and looking for long term rent.
If you have any other recommendations or place to avoid, don't hesitate  :)
Thanks

It was 20,000p a month for a 1 bed apartment with nice view.  Electric was extra.  The trike fare into PG was 20 pesos each way for 2 people.  There are other cheaper places in PG, but some cost 100 pesos each way for trikes.  And not as good a location.  If I go back, I would only stay at Squares.

As we live ‘Out in the Sticks'. We don't have the privilege of shopping at SM.
Also we come from Europe, where food prices are higher than in some other parts of the World. So the Philippine's is still relatively cheap.
As for Cheese.  We are considering buying Two, or Three Goats, and making our own.

I live in Davao on 3000USD a month comfortably.  Aircons, gated, nice house, wifi, housegirl. etc.  Diving here sucks. 
I'm thinking of moving to Dumaguette where diving is much better.  Its smaller and a college town. 
Cebu is hectic. Manila stinks. 
Davao has pretty girls though.  And its a lot of fun.  Lower crime too. 
Taxi to anywhere is 5 bucks max.  Good malls, resturaunts, but some poverty. 
Not many white guys here so big advantage with girls.

Since you have 6 months, what you can do is visit the many places expats reside or recommend. It will probably take 2 weeks or less to see if you will consider a certain location.  It might even take less that 6 months to decide on whether life in the Philippines will suit you. Stay at a hotel or a furnished condo for a few days or weeks instead of getting stuck in a 6 month lease.

Everyone has different tastes. One expat might have rave reviews of a certain place, but to you it might just be like meh. Try out both city life and provincial life. I would suggest to start with Metro Manila (city life): Makati, Manila, Quezon City, etc. Then try out southern Luzon: Tagaytay (cooler climate), Cavite,  and Batangas (beaches).Or you can first go north: Amgeles / Pampanga area, Pangasinan (beaches), Baguio. Then fly to Visayas and then to Mindanao,. (See recommendations of expats of places to try out)

Make it a point, as you go visit these places, that this trip is not a vacation but rather more like a survey / research / study of where you would achieve your "major change of life" and also live comfortably. Do a log of the pros and cons of a certain place and the cost of living there. Stay within your budget, whatever amount it is during your 6 month or so visit. US$2000 / month, I think would be enough.

Take my advice and stay in Australia.
The Philippines are a rat hole.
You ask the same questions as all of the other`s that want to come here...boring.

Its good and bad. Girls are polite, modest and of course poor.  So foreigners do well here with 20ish girls.  Rooms around town vary. Off track you can get a serviced room for 500au month.  Not bad.  Clothes can be had cheaply too.  Massages - i get a dozen a month - are 7 dollars for 1 hr.  Find that in Oz? 
Girls work 6 days and make 8 dollars a day. But they are happy and frugal.  They make do. 
Taxi is 5 bucks to anywhere in town. Don't drive.  Thats bad.  Dumaguette is pleasant.  Stay the hell away from Manila.  Run.  Once you know it well you can go with a friend who knows the place. 
Every govt official is to be presumed corrupt at all times.  Business transactions are suspect at all times.  Pay for large purchases with mastercard or visa so you have some protection.  Airlines included.
So there is a dark side. 
Its easier to meet girls when you frequent an establishment. 
Flights within PH are cheap.  Thats good.
Good golf and diving. 
Cebu is ok.  But its a big city and has some crime.  But it has everything.  Malls. Good resturaunts.
I dont care for the beer.  Tastes like piss.

Try Negros Oriental Island from Dumaguete City down the coast to Dauin Town.  Tons of accommodation options, mall shopping, lots of dive resorts & plenty of restaurants.  Airport, port & hospitals as well. Very popular with foreigers & retirees. Lovely place to live......

I am an expat and have been living in the Philippines for 7 years. Some of the advice I'm going to give you I learned the hard way. But first the budget - of course, like others have posted it depends on your lifestyle and taste.
Personally, I live in Alabang a leafy clean suburb of manila. I am not much for the bar scene or clubs but I do drink good wine ( often!!) and hit some good restaurants a few times a month. I shop at expat delis and don't skimp on much. I do own my own condo so I don't pay rent and I do what I do for around 2000usd a month. I also have a cleaning lady 3 times a week.
If you shop at the wet markets and don't hit the girly bars (too often) you can live very cheaply indeed. Eat the street food if you dare.
I agree with what a lot of people are saying - more around a few times in your initial 6 months to see where you like.
Ok now for the bad news - trust no one. Ignore this advice at your peril. Do not under any circumstances believe anyone. It doesn't matter if it's a rental agent, lawyer, doctor or whomever. Get multiple opinions - due diligence will be your savior here in the Philippines. Under no circumstance fall in love and buy a house as it will legally belong to your other half.
Ok once you move here - unless you are in an upper class condo or area you will soon be befriended by all the locals - neighbors, etc. and  you will be expected to pay for the beer or dinner every time Once you do you will be a marked man and there will be an endless line of sob stories for which you will be obliged to contribute. You can always say no but......
So life in the Philippines can be grand or can be hell. There are numerous stories of expats heading home after a few years completely wiped out financially and physically.
I could write a book but I wont. Good luck and just so you know the Philippines has the slowest internet service in probably the world.

swegolf1956 wrote:

Girls are polite, modest and of course poor.  So foreigners do well here with 20ish girls. 
Girls work 6 days and make 8 dollars a day. But they are happy and frugal.  They make do.  .

To AussieDaz,

About swegolf's post, this is not often the case. It is an unfortunate stereotyping of Filipinas, which quite possibly was started by senior citizen foreigners who were taken advantage of by that hot young emotionally immature girlfriend they met on the internet or a a bar ,There are many Filipinas, both here in the Philippines and abroad, who are well-educated, make a good living, whose parents also make a good living, whose relatives are not going to ask you for financial favors.  The thing is rarely would these women consider getting into a relationship with a man who is old enough to be their parent or grandparent.

You, AussieDaz are still young.at 42. You can find a good Filipino woman who will want you and adore you for just  you, and not for what you make or how much money you have. Her parents and relatives would also be accepting and supportive, as long as you don't have a bad habit, such as a drug or alcohol problem, are not abusive, and are not a freeloading deadbeat. The parents would actually be excited at the thought of having "mestiza" .grandchildren who look like celebrities..

Not sure what PhilAmmom is up to, but corruption is rife.  A dollar cheated is intelligent.  Phils not on the take are "stupid."  Thats the truth.
Getting a drivers license cost me $100USD from the LTO employees.  A fat Philippino dude wanted $660 USD to give me my airline ticket that I had already paid for.  He wrote it down on my itenerary!  Thats how brazen they are. Had I paid he would have gotten many slaps on the back and congrats from office staff. 
There are lots more examples.  Don't believe anything else. 
That said you can find decent people here.  My caddy is great.  She keeps me out of trouble.  My 25 yr old gf gives great massages.  My housegirl does everything, laundry, cooks, irons cleans washes dishes keeps the yard groceries.  I overpay her at 250 mo. 
You will find a good girl here if do a little sifting.  Just keep your guard.

Hi everybody,

We are going off topic here. Can we please try to help the initiator by giving some answers to his questions here :

AussieDaz wrote:

Hi
1. Where is the best place to live? (Safe and close to everything, beaches)
2. How much would I need to have to live comfortably for the 6 months I'm there.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Oh ya.
1. Dumaguette or Puerta Princessa.
2. $3000Au month should do.
3. No.

Best scuba is south of Dumaguette.  Some good dives on Bohol but very touristy.  There is a spearfishing/freediving club in Dumaguette. 
Dont dive Davao.  Nasty ass river water with miles of sewers deposited from upstream villages empties into bay.

AussieDaz wrote:

Normally 12 months is needed, however, I checked one in 2013 that needed 12 months, but in late 2014 they dropped that and now are happy with 3 months.  Furnished.

I've checked a few places that say 12 months, but on negotiation will come down to 3 or 6 for a higher monthly rate.

eg:  Cebu 35k per month for 3+ months, but 30k pm for 12 month term (Gated and Furnished)
another was 25k for 6 months or 20k for 12months.

Hi... I live in samar own my own house an live comfortably on $1000 aust a month includes 2000 peso a month for a maid , G F has family and friends who regularly eat here included , includes .. Gas an Electricity , But for you I would suggest Dumagetti , Bohol or Puerto Galera unless you need air-con shopping centres then Cebu it has everything including an excellent hospital .. There are many options for living here . Ask around in the area you choose , you will soon have many houses or units offered for rent , and many nice places available for 10,000 peso a month , except in Manila

Dont know where you are doing your shopping, but here in the Dumaguete market potatoes are 50 peso`s a kilo.

Aussie Dave wrote:

Dont know where you are doing your shopping, but here in the Dumaguete market potatoes are 50 peso`s a kilo.

The 84 peso's a kilo potatoes were at the SM Hypermarket. Public markets are often cheaper for most things, but I prefer the luxury of hypermarket shopping, where I feel safer. 
Many Filipinos have warned me about pickpockets in public markets, and it seemed they were right.  I went in one and it happened, a mobile phone taken out of my G/F's hand bag.  I was told we were targeted because I was rich or white (same thing).