A few questions about teaching ESL in China.

Hello,

I am reading about US citizens moving to China to teach ESL and I believe it is perfect for me although finding information is proving a bit difficult. There's copious websites explaining the danger, scams and frauds which I am grateful for although some questions I have:

Almost every blog and youtube video I see says a bachelors is not required yet every job posting I see lists it as being required, sometimes even non-negotiable. Is it difficult to find a job without a bachelors, which I do not have? Should I just ignore the requirement and ask them if I am still a suitable candidate? Why the conflicting information?

What are some good websites to find job postings that do not use agents? I've found the Beijinger and China.careerengine.org. Are there any others I should use?

Regarding the TEFL certificate, the only 4 week program in my state that offers it does so exclusively on weekends which I work. I've read and agree that the onsite program is better than online but will an online certificate suffice? Are there any real differences from getting a decent job with online vs onsite?

I'm reading that most jobs supply 12k RMB/month, free or reimbursed airfare and either furnished housing or a housing allowance. Is that legit and appropriate to expect?

Thank you for any help provided. I'm sure i'll have a few more questions if people are kind enough to chime in with their insight.

To get a working visa in China you have to have a degree and at least 2 years experience.

To teach English a TEFL qualification is not a MUST but more and more places are requesting it.

I know a Brit guy (already in China) who will soon be starting a new job with EF (Education First). He has a degree but did not have a TEFL qualification so they had him do their own in-house TEFL course.

Hi,

So when I was looking for a job in China I went to the footprints website. Its like a teacher recruiting agency. It actually helped a lot and in like 2 weeks I was interviewed by them and then the school Best Learning. I did read some bad things about Footprints like they don't help etc., but in my case they were the essential factor.Also, I worried about not getting a legitimate job in China and was worried about all the scams.

I myself have a bachelors and have noticed it has become a critical part for many companies that hire. If you dont have that then you really should invest your time with a TESOL. 

Message me if you have any questions.
I will be leaving late Aug.