New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015

How is the state of affairs there in Puerto Rico with the water and electric companies?

BD

Thank you for the great information.  I am curious how is everything going with all the water problems and in general the state of affairs there?  I am concerned about the cost of just living in Puerto Rico compared to my state of Texas.  I am about to retire from my job in a few months and am weighing all the factors.  If you could shed any light on the situation, I would be very grateful

BD

you and i seem to be in about the same situation.  i too along with my wife are contemplating retiring in puerto rico.  we really enjoy the water and the beach.  we were there back in 2010 on our honeymoon.  puerto rico at the time was great but with all the choas of the current events, we are concerned how it would be there.  we also would be mainly living on our social security income and wonder if it would be enough.  we are thinking about the west end of the island.  got any thoughts?

BD

Greeting from PA, my soon to be former home  :D   I have been vacationing in Rincon for 10 years now.  My first trip there was love at first sight and as the years have gone by it has become harder and harder for me to return to the northeast so I am finally taking the plunge and am going to live my dream...life is too short to delay, the stars have all aligned and I feel blessed to be given this opportunity!  I have been cleaning out and preparing my home to put on the market for several months now but the end is in sight finally.  I'm scared of the unknown but I'm excited to begin this new journey and am so happy I found this forum today!  I have friends in Rincon and look forward to meeting more of you who have followed this road before me.  I'm mostly worried about transporting my two dogs on a commercial airline.  I plan on flying down once my home is sold/under agreement to try and find and apartment to rent.  Any advice on these two topics would be greatly appreciate!
Thank you and blessings to all, Nanette

Hello, and welcome, Nanette and surferdude.  As far as transporting your pets, I would search on this forum as it has been suggested to use certain airlines and how to go about it.  I don't remember which as I'm not in that situation.

We love Rincon, as well, and are returning in Feb. 2015 for a month.  Hoping to go for longer periods at a time, eventually.  All the best to you!  :)

Hello; I have traveled with my dog, several times. It matters what the size & breeds are. PM me, and I'll share what I know... (and readily admit, when I  do not!).

Mac-

Thanks for responding but I'm not sure how to private message you on this site or am I doing it now lol?

surferdude7 wrote:

Thank you for the great information.  I am curious how is everything going with all the water problems and in general the state of affairs there?  I am concerned about the cost of just living in Puerto Rico compared to my state of Texas.  I am about to retire from my job in a few months and am weighing all the factors.  If you could shed any light on the situation, I would be very grateful

BD

I would recommend you read this post: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=439052
A lot of good people gave me information about costs that may be useful to you also.
I suggest you make a budget along the lines of the one I posted and add any other expenses that are particular to your situation. While I budgeted $700 for health insurance, several others have quoted a $150 cost, while other quoted $650 a month, Seems a lot has to do with your age, where you live and your current state of health. But overall I been quoted 40% to 60% cheaper Healthcare.
As to electric, take a look at your current electric bill and check the cost for Kilo Watt Hour, In PR it seems to be running from 22 to 24 overall compared to a lot of the states where it ranges for 11 to 13. So overall expect electricity to be about twice.
Given the sunny nature of PR and the 15-25 miles per hour winds, it is likely you will use less electricity to keep cool, most times being in the shade in a place with good ventilation is likely to do the job. Also the house may be brighter so less lightbulbs burning during the day. Likely a Fan or Air conditioner will do at night to sleep.
Check the link above, a lot of people gave info specially Gary which is very nice and extremely helpful.
Have fun in PR.

One more item, you mentioned SSN. SSN is only partially taxable by the Federal government, not yet sure if you can get away from that, but you will likely find your taxes overall to be lower and potentially NONE due to your income level.

Hello!  I am moving to SJ in August, relocating for a job.  Looking to live in Isla Verde, thoughts on a rental agent?  I haven't been to PR yet, but am super excited.  Any advice y'all have, happy to get it.  I'll be bringing my big dog and feisty cat (as you can see from the picture).  My Spanish is pretty crap, so really trying to get up to speed.

Current dilemma is car related, which is a common theme from what I can see.  It seems to be $2400 to ship and tax, but won't sell for enough to buy.  It runs well, and I know what she is about, chancy with a new/used ride.  Is there any sales tax on used cars bought in PR?

Again, thanks in advance!

surferdude7 wrote:

How is the state of affairs there in Puerto Rico with the water and electric companies?

Right now? For the fifth time this month we're without electricity since the early AM (8:11 today) The generator is humming and burning my beer money. :(

As for water, the drought ain't over yet. We had some rain but not yet enough to fill the reservoirs. I don't worry too much about that, the hurricane season is 'round the corner and will bring us more rain than we need. :)

mac00677 wrote:

Hello; I have traveled with my dog, several times. It matters what the size & breeds are. PM me, and I'll share what I know... (and readily admit, when I  do not!).

Why not share it here so others may profit from your experience, too?

NanetteQ wrote:

Thanks for responding but I'm not sure how to private message you on this site or am I doing it now lol?

You can't use the private message system until you did a certain amount of posts, so it won't work for you yet.
This thread has a lot  of useful information about transporting your pet to and from PR. Always contact the airline you are planning to use, they have the latest info.

Schuttzie wrote:

We love Rincon, as well, and are returning in Feb. 2015 for a month.

Time travel, Shuttzie? j/k :D

Hiii!
Family of 4. From NC. Moved here 8 months ago and loving it! These expats are never going back! Well maybe visit family. Lol .  Hope everyone is loving it as much as we do!  :heart:

Hello Expats! 

I am a new member to this site and already am loving the honest advice, tips, suggestions, forewarnings, grumblings, stories, etc., about the experience of living on the island of PR.  I am a gringo coming from Michigan with 25 years exposure to the boriquen culture by marriage. My husband, Hector, was born in Orocovis and moved away to Michigan when he was 19 for more opportunities on the mainland.  After many years vacationing here and staying with family, we decided to purchase two acres in Rio Grande in 2001.  When Hector retired in 2009, he came to the island and supervised the construction of our house (VRBO #608451).  After six years of putting off retirement with him, he has talked me into living on the island full-time after constructing a second floor to our house to manage the rental of the first floor.  We have vacationed at the house about 6 - 8 weeks a year for the past five years, and feel pretty confident about being able to make the adjustment to "island time."  I can certainly sympathize with the frustration one experiences when dealing with the inefficiencies of trying to get business done on the island, because compared to the US, some things are beyond comprehension on delays or poor customer service.  However, in my opinion, the island has continued to move forward in progress since my first visit in 1994.  Old San Juan for instance has made huge improvements since I first started traveling there, the roadways for the most part are much better than they used to be, and the garbage pick up (at least in our barrio) has been significantly improved.  I love the people, culture, weather, and the food, and look forward to sharing those things with new vacationers to the island.  I know it's not perfect, but it's not perfect in Michigan either, there are strays and mistreated animals in every part of the world, not just PR, and there is always room for improvement everywhere. 

Currently, we are selling everything we have in Michigan, have rented our MI home, and have one-way direct flight tickets booked on 8/31/15 from Chicago with our two "satos" from PR "Papito" and "Domino."  We cannot wait to get to our PR house and undertake  DIY projects with no looming deadline of going back, getting to know the plants and flowers in our rainforest jungle, and getting a good dose of sunshine (Vitamin D that we are so deficient of in Michigan!). 

I am thankful that I stumbled on this website and look forward to getting to know you!

Best regards,

Kim & Hector Melendez

Taylor_girl and melendezki, welcome to the island and to this forum!

Thank you!!! We been loving it. Definitely different yet somewhat still familiar . Way more relaxed. Only dislike so far is driving! 0_0 today I'm off to my first ultra challenge. Where to get tires since I can't figure out prices online for anything in pr. Weird.

Hello y Buen dia!!

Stumbled into this up-to-date forum...Awesome. My name is Jose, born & raised in NYC.  Currently retired and due to an illness that will be aggravated by our harsh and lately long winters, my wife&I bought a home in Hatillo,PR / USA 10yrs ago anticipating moving to warmer tropical weather in hopes of acclimating to a different style of living in our 50's. Been visiting PR 3-7 weeks a year and it's time to make PR our new home.  Wife just retired and we do have a place to live and have wheels to get around.  Been to 38 of the 78 towns and hope to explore this beautiful island and the good people on it.  After reading all the great topics and responses from you all, I believe it's safe to say, this Island can truly be paradise, if not for all the corruption & lack of expertise and Heart of the political leaders to make its gov't function do it's job honestly.  That being said,  I experienced more good than bad from the people of Puerto Rico.. With a name as unique as Jose, Thank God I do speak some spanish that has helped get things done. My wife is not hispanic and she gets by with english and some words in spanish & LOVES PR.  So hoping to make PR our new steady home Jan. 2016.  My hopes of joining this forum is to start some type of "Newbie Club" where anyone & everyone can partake in meet&greet outings anywhere & everywhere on the Island.  Something that a hand-assist-networking to make our exoeriences better while adjusting.  Maybe there is such a family oriented get-to-together club already.. Let me know.. I'm looking to get a sense of security, conradity and help with  expertises like car repairs, plumbing, electrical and handyman assistance etc to help ourselves not get ripped off, from some who may take advantage of our "Gringo" status.  But also a great way to explore other greats spots from people who live and know the hidden treasures. Every great spot of nature or good eateries are never close to the road and hard to find unless it's shared..why not one of us become personal guides?   Hatillo is in the northwest. 2 towns away from where the Porta del Sol begins in Quebradiila continuing to 16 other towns finishing in Cabo Rojo.  Love the Northwest.. Bi-lingual and Beautiful. Stopping here to not write a novel.  But any interests in starting a Network of Meet-N-Greet Fun Happy Law abiding Peeps..shine.  God Bless to you All!!

Welcome to the forum, Jose!  I think that is a great idea if it can get off the ground and many can participate.  We are not there yet but are starting to visit for longer periods.  We love the west coast Rincon area and will be back next Feb. (too far away for me, haha). 

Bless!

A Meet and Greet is a great idea. Count me in!

That's a fantastic idea!  I'm moving to Rincon once my home in PA sells...it going on the market in a week yay!  There are also a lot of Norte Americanos in Rincon whom I have made friends with over the past 10 years I have been vacationing there, in fact I've already shipped four boxes of my belongings to one of them!  I will ask her if there are any formal groups of gringos who get together to share ideas and support other than the Gringo Bingo they have there every Tuesday night at a bar.  I'm not in to the late night bar scene anymore so I never attended that party :-)
I enjoyed reading your post and I am very excited to start this new chapter in my life in PR!

Nanette

Hola Jose! Love the meet and greet idea! I live in Isabela so we will be sorta neighbors! looking forward to meeting you and other great folks! How should we get this started?

Thank you, Thank you very much Schuttzie !!,  Happy to hear some are interested.  I think it will be nice and beneficial in many areas.  I will work on details on who, what, where and how to get this off the ground.  We have some time to work this out.. I will be arriving in Jan. 2016 and if we have a nice size group who are interested, then I will provide ideas as to location, time and contacts info when available.  We love Rincon too and it only takes me 45-60 mins to get there.  But I'm sure I've only seen a fraction of it.  Always looking to see more.

Jajaja!!  Hola vecina.. Excelente I'm excited we have new friends in the making..  Hopefully I will figure a game plan to organize this and provide details for Hopefully our 1st Meet-N-Greet sometime 1st quarter 2016.  I'll be there Jan. 2016 but will set up a date that will be good for as many of us as possible. So thanks Jen for your participation.. And you are like 20mins. away.  Isabela is a beautiful scenic town.. stay tuned!

Thanks Frogrock.. We're neighbors in NY.. Read lots of your feeds.  You're right on point with all of your info.  I will plan and inform of all details as to when, where, who and how we all can Meet-n-Greet in early 2016.  I'm currently residing in Qns Vlg? Bellrose Queens not too far.  Happy you're interested and hope to speak in person.

Hellooo NanetteQ and Thanks for shining in.. Looks like we have something happening.. We have a group brewing and excited to see this become a reality.  Btw CONGRATS on your new exciting journey.  Hope you sell quick and make a hugh profit to start what WILL be a wonderful new begining!!  Stay tune for Details in the horizon..   Rincon is a great Hotspot for many statesiders but if not in a rush to buy, why don't you rent something for 3 months and explore many other options.  This Meet-n-Greet from The Newbies Club may provide you many different choices to many different parts of Puerto Rico.  Although, it's my opinion that the West & Northwest coasts are Best.  Stay in touch!!  My ETA will be in jan.2016.  Looking forward to meeting you ALL en vivo.

Will be relocating from New York in July to Luquillo sounds like fun would love to be part of it. I am new to island but my fiancé has family there so I can possibly pass on some local knowledge and always open to learning about new things good luck and thanks for your enthusiasm .....Johnny

not sure what u asking but almost eady to make the move

Hey Johnny,  Great to hear you're heading to the isla de encanto!  Will be nice for you to join us in 2016. The more the better and happier the experiences.  Stay tune for more info.  Jose

Gary wrote:
Schuttzie wrote:

We love Rincon, as well, and are returning in Feb. 2015 for a month.

Time travel, Shuttzie? j/k :D

Haha, Gary, I just saw this :)  Yup, we are returning, just can't stay away, I guess.  I so wish we could go for longer periods but we're working up to it! (19yr old still at home)

Hi,

My name is Kathy and my husband Dennis and I live in Wisconsin.  We first visited PR in January of 2007, when we spent a wonderful week on Vieques.  We loved it so much that we planned to return in the winter of 2008, but in between Dennis found a piece of property in the mountains in Maricao.  Originally it was a parcela with a small stone house still on the property.  We thought about renovating the old house but after working on it some, decided it would be more cost effective to build new.  We built a 500 square foot, round cabin with two bedrooms.  It was finished in 2010, and in December of 2012, we welcomed our first Airbnb guests.  We have had great success with Airbnb, renting to approximately 30-35 separate guests each year. 

Our first trip to PR was on a bit of a whim...I had been diagnosed with follicular non Hodgkins lymphoma in January of 2006, went through some treatment that summer, and by the fall was in remission.  However, emotionally, I was having a difficult time.  Our 25th wedding anniversary came and went in June of 06, so after I got the all clear, we decided to try to go somewhere warm in January.  The trip to PR was just what the doctor ordered.  We decided we wanted to offer the same experience to others who had gone through treatment, and have been offering free stays at our cabin.  Now we are in the process of taking the next step.  Our plan is to build a lodge with 6-12 vacation rental cabins, and to use the proceeds from renting to offer more free stays to cancer survivors and their families.  If you are interested, there is more information at esperanzarenovada.org.

Here is a picture of our current cabin:  facebook.com/LaCabanaDelAguaDulce/photos/a.449641435097960.108252.449640651764705/449641468431290/?type=1&theater

Looking forward to hearing from some of you, and hopefully meeting up the next time we're in PR!

Kathy

Hi, Kathy and Dennis, welcome! Your place looks so cozy and comfy. You have a tremendous heart and spirit to help others, how wonderful.  I hope you are still doing well after your treatments for lymphoma.  All the best to you both!

In your bio it looks as though you used to live north of Chicago and now are in Wisconsin.  I'm in the Rockford area so we are sort of neighbors :)

Hi Schuttzie,

Thanks for your response!  Yes, we grew up in Wauconda, and now we're in Richland Center, in the southwest Driftless area halfway between Madison and Lacrosse.

Looking forward to talking more with you!

Kathy

Hello and Aloha!

My name is Meagan and I am going to be moving to PR in October this yard with my boyfriend who was offered at Dorado Resort. We will be there for at least 9 months but possibly longer if we love it!

We are in our 30's and have grown up in Seattle Washington. No kids. I lived a year in Hawaii and loved the slower pace of island life. We both love the beach and the ocean and would like to get better at surfing!  We are both excited and open to the different culture and life in PR :)

We both live very active lifestyles, working out and doing outdoor activities as much as possible.

I have worked in the medical field as a phlebotomist for the past 11 years and would like to find work in a lab in PR or in the hospitality/hotel/excursion industry.

First order of business will be finding a furnished apartment that we can afford, come Oct 1!

Thanks for reading :)

Johnnyhulk wrote:

Will be relocating from New York in July to Luquillo sounds like fun would love to be part of it. I am new to island but my fiancé has family there so I can possibly pass on some local knowledge and always open to learning about new things good luck and thanks for your enthusiasm .....Johnny

Not sure when in July you are relocating, but I will be in your general area doing some research for my retirement from July 11 to July 19. Give me a shout if you want to get together.

Hello, my name is Deb and I am considering moving to PR for about a year at first and then see if for good. I have lived in various states and now am looking for something very different.
Single and loving it. No children or pets, loving that too. Lol! Plan on learning Spanish while there.
I have an income but am in the process of applying to grad school for education. Want to teach children to read and ESL.
Very happy to have found this forum, have gotten a lot of good information and still welcome more.
Thanks.

Welcome, Deb. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum. You've found the right place. Good luck!

Hi! I am new to the forum but not PuertoRico. I have been living in the Fajardo area for the last year and a half and have yet to meet up with any US expats...if there's any "Fajardons" out there. Please make yourselves known...I m a widow with no family here and I'd sure love to meet some folks for cards or cycling or scuba or even coffee and chat. Penelope

Welcome to the board,  Penelope.  I believe there are some who are going to relocate in that are and will come along to respond.  Best wishes!

Sugarbird wrote:

Hi! I am new to the forum but not PuertoRico. I have been living in the Fajardo area for the last year and a half and have yet to meet up with any US expats...if there's any "Fajardons" out there. Please make yourselves known...I m a widow with no family here and I'd sure love to meet some folks for cards or cycling or scuba or even coffee and chat. Penelope

I will be staying in Fajardo from July 11 to July 19 we are doing some checking of the area. Maybe we can meet for coffee or drinks. My wife would love to hear how things have gone with you and how you acclimated, she does not speak Spanish.

Closed