Caravan wanted

We are looking to join or put together a caravan driving fromTexas to Belize.  Our departure dates are around November 26th 2014 or we could do sometime in early January 2015. We are new to this so we are hoping for someone with some experience traveling through Mexico. Thanks so much!!
Ruetta

Ruetta,
I was planning this trip last October but ended up staying in Texas. I'm leaving Florida and arriving in Austin , Tx on Oct. 27th. I might be interested in planning this trip again. I have been in Belize several times for diving and love the country. I also have some good contacts on Ambergris Caye. Where are you planning on exploring while there?  Please contact me so we might discuss this possibility.

Thanks,
Marcie

I would be interested in driving through Mexico to Belize as well. I've done some research on it but I'd still like to go with other people in a caravan that's a great idea. I will keep an eye on this thread to see what comes of it.

Jeffrey,
Drop me a line at [email protected] and let me know what your timeline is for a possible caravan and perhaps we can put this together.

Thanks,
Marcie

Marcie,
I've tried to send you an email, several attempts but It will not complete..?
[email protected]. righr?

Thanks,   jb...

Yes it's [email protected]'t know why you can't get through however if you send me your email, I'll try contacting you or just call 727-822-8339...Have you heard anything from the woman who wrote the original post?

No I haven't.. wonder what she did?
I was noticing today that Belize put a ban on air travel into the country. I didn't see from what country of origin I also heard that they refused anyone from the cruise ship last week.Damn Ebola!!  Lol...
Send a quick note to me and ill reply with the email I tried to send...

[email protected]

Talk soon..

Hi Ruetta,
Are you still planning that trip through Mexico to Belize? I'll be in Texas on Monday and there's another gentleman who is interested in jumping onboard as well. Let me know if you're still interested in putting a trip together. ciao, Marcie

My sister and I are planning the drive from California to Belize. We are, of course, going through Mexico. We plan on leaving Cali around December 15th. Would be interested in a caravan.

I have been talking with another guy who wants to drive down with his wife as well. Perhaps we can all talk. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Marcie

We are considering driving down but not until April. Any takers then?

That's a possibility for me ..on my way back to Florida at the moment..

Driving through Mexico to Belize? I did,nt  believe that to be surviveable. Joking aside I want to come as a Qrp. My pension is 2025 I,m  48.  But I don,t know a halfway safe place to go, or where to get an apartment. Must be walking distance from a beach and International ATM machine. It won,t  be for 6 months anyway. I still have to sell my car, furniture and do the paperwork. Wonder if someone could recomend a town,near the coast. Warm wishes n much love from the States.

This is Kathy, we talk before (Renegade Diver) about driving to Belize. My sister and I arrived in Belize on Christmas day!! We made the trip without incident.

Did you drive thru Mexico from Austin? What entry point did you choose? Was it just the two of you, and the dog of course? Did youmake it thru in just one day, or stop overnight? I heard its best to not travel at dark.  If you get second, hollar back... im glad you made it...where are you living?

Best,
JB...

I am also interested in how Kathy's trip went.  We want to drive down in May with a Jeep Unlimited pulling a 121 enclosed trailer.  We are on the fence about whether to do this and would love to have any information and would gladly join a caravan.  We would be traveling in May 2015.

Thanks

Not until May

Not sure if everyone has seen it or not but liferemotely.com* has a free PDF book on their website that talks about routes and things to know. Its pretty up to date and can't beat the price. You can buy a physical copy on amazon if you would rather have paper in your hand.

*I have no personal connection to anyone associated with the website, just stumbled on it yesterday. :)

Thats great Kathy I,m  happy 4 u n ur companian; that u arrived safely n everything. I,d  love to bring my car w/ me,I,m  gonna have to check that book out. Too bad there was,nt  a ferry that u could take from tex..Anyway have about 6 mnths to prepare. I wonder if u or anyone could answer any of the other questions I posed, pretty desparate for 1st hand info. Like I mentioned n an earlier post, I,m try,n  to find somewhere halfway safe to rent an apt.for around 500 US, thats close to an atm that will take my visa debit,near money exchange and walking distance to a beach. I,ll be applying for a qrp visa, qualified retired person, grossing $2025 monthly.  Any info would be greatly appreciated;just the name of a town that fits the above criteria. Warm wishes and much love, from the States.  TNX Gene

Hi guys! I just typed a long dissertation about our trip and it got dumped. One thing about Belize is the internet will go down sometimes. No problem here I go again. To answer Geneboy, your best bet for a $500 a month rental by the ocean is probably Corozal. It's the first town you enter after crossing into Belize. It is very nice has everything you need within walking distance. Our group had me, my sister and one male friend. We were driving a RV with a motorcycle strapped to the back and a Santa Fe. We entered through Laredo, Texas as we came from California. We ended up driving at night to reach our daily destination and had no trouble. It took us three days to cross Mexico. The people of Mexico treated us very well. We had one incident with the police, ended up giving them a small bribe for a made up ticket and went on our way. Other than that things went relatively smoothly. There are different rules at each border but mostly just one car per person in Mexico.

I also wanted to address the QRP issue. I also applied for one, and was approved. I sent the final $1,200 and found out that I could not use the free duty on a vehicle if that vehicle was financed. I cancelled the payment because that was the main reason for the QRP. The household goods that you get duty free are only if you ship within one year and are limited in value. You might want to come into Belize on your passport and pay the monthly immigration fees. This is of course up to you just giving you info that I wish I had!!!

Thanks 4 the info Kathy, I,m  doing my research n planning. To think I may be able to take my car; thats cool. Still a bit leary, but  I,ll by some books available on the journey as well.  Thank you n ur sis sooo much. Warm wishes n nuttin but love from the States.

I plan on leaving in may.... anyone interested

Hello longd549,

How are you planning to travel? is it by car or by caravan?

You can also drop an ad in the Classifieds section, Travel partners in Belize, for more visibilities.

Thank you,
Marjorie

I plan on traveling by car, hopefully with a caravan, may take a passage if I find one, My name is David Long, My e-mail is [email protected]. Looking to go anywhere in Central America . Any advice or help would be great. I am a Vietnam Vet . May be willing to take a passenger or two. Thank You. Can depart at any time

leaving Mississippi on or about the May 15 2015 ,bound for central America ,parts unknown. Driving my minivan, looking forward to a fun trip

I will be sending an email asap... your timeframe may work for me, and we should talk more.
Best,
JB...

looking forward to hearing from you

It seems that there a number of threads from folks wanting to go to Belize on wheels, but that we may have missed the our chance this year. Is anyone up for going next January or February?

Hey Jeff,
I hope you're doing well and I see you're planning on making that trip again to Belize. I'm currently in Honduras on a 2 week dive trip, then sadly back to Florida for work..hope you're doing well. Take good care.

hey Marcie, good to hear from you! Sounds like you are really having an adventure. I've had both my hips replaced now an the recovery has gone pretty well... I'm ready to make a move! I would have gone with David Long on his recent departure but the timing was bad. I may have to just fly in I don't know.take care of yourself, talk to you soon....
                   JB...

Made it to Belize.. Had a wonderful trip and having a great time

Jeff,
Good to hear you're recovering well and even though I'm swimming/diving 3 hrs a day down here, I have to do my 2nd one as well. It's a bummer...! Take good care, Marcie

Is it really safe to drive to Honduras? I hear both scenarios, that you will be robbed and that it is a safe as the U.S. Do you need a visa? Is gas available easily? I have a zillion questions and a burning desire to take his trip, hopefully in early 2016

I am going to try this my self, I talked with a friend in Costa Rica who advised as long as you are being careful it is ok.Fuel is no problem I am now in San Ignatio now ,Left the states on May 12 to drive thru Mexico

If anyone is interested, I'll be driving down early may. See my thread for details:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 22#3145546