Moving to and/or living in Darjeeling

Hello, all

Is there anyone with experience in moving to and/or living in Darjeeling? If so can you post here, or preferably, by way of a private message.

Hi Dennis Tedder,

What would you like to know exactly please?

Maybe you can ask more precise questions in order to receive more specific answers. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

Specifically, furnished flats for rent in the 1/2 BHK size. Are they in abundance? Is there much turnover; can flats be rented for long term (1 year plus), relatively quickly? Are there any restrictions on a single, retired male (expat) moving into a flat in Darjeeling?

Is a move to Darjeeling (from the respondent's perspective) any different than moving to any other city within India?

Either from an expat perspective or a resident of Darjeeling, do you know of, or observed other expats who have moved to Darjeeling long term? Can any expats and/or local residents speak to the expats' experience in Darjeeling; good or bad? dt

Specifically, furnished flats for rent in the 1/2 BHK size. Are they in abundance? Is there much turnover; can flats be rented for long term (1 year plus), relatively quickly? Are there any restrictions on a single, retired male (expat) moving into a flat in Darjeeling?

ANS. You should be able to find the kind of flats you are looking for. Try googling. Yes, flats can be rented long term. As regards restrictions, please check with the Embassy of India in your country of residence.

Is a move to Darjeeling (from the respondent's perspective) any different than moving to any other city within India?

ANS. No, it shouldn't be.

Either from an expat perspective or a resident of Darjeeling, do you know of, or observed other expats who have moved to Darjeeling long term? Can any expats and/or local residents speak to the expats' experience in Darjeeling; good or bad? dt

ANS. Darjeeling is a nice place to retire to/spend a leisurely holiday in. Lots to see and do in Darjeeling and around. British influence visible. You're likely to come across several Anglo-Indians there (progeny of British tea planters and railway personnel). A ride on the heritage toy train,, visit to tea gardens and the Jaldapara Game Sanctuary is a must! Relaxed, easy-going ambiance. Do visit the heritage Windemere Hotel for high tea and great views. A favourite haunt of tea planters.

Thank you very much, Sonya! Ten-year visa here so all else looks good; provided my recon trip in September goes well. I appreciate your time, and again, thanks!

Foremost regards,
Dennis T

My pleasure, Dennis. If you're passing through New Delhi, do get in touch again for accommodation, tourism, business. Have a great stay!

Hi Dennis yes my wife is from Darjeeling but we are settled in Gurgaon ( as I work here).It sheer is a beautiful place,peaceful,calm and tranquil with a lot of tourists frequenting the place.Its a good place to retire or escape to when life has sucked all the energy from you a place to rejuvenate and be a part of nature.Like all other places it too has its pros and cons.Like water problem is a major issue but somehow people have managed ( more problem in the town area),town is kinda crowded a good place to visit and walk around but its better to look for an accommodation slightly away from all the noise and crowd..people are very friendly and genuine very different from the city people in India( though there are exceptions). I am from the city so can easily see the difference..I would advice you to first stay there for a couple of months them decide about settling down..The experience about the tourist who have stayed there for 5 or 10 years were lovely as my sisters  cousin brothers family used to run a homestay back then.Some got married and settled there too :D ....Currently they do have a homestay in Lamahatta Darjeeling on Airbnb as well..you should not have problem getting a good home stay ..I would suggest you first try and opt for a homestay ,once you are there you can look around for flat rentals with the hosts help.( as they know the area and people better and get you a fair rate )..Let me know if you need any help or any query....thanks Nitin

doondj! Thank you very much; bohot accha. This is more than I had hoped for. I really appreciate the detail you went in to. I am looking forward to a trip to Darjeeling in September for two weeks to get a feel for the city. I had heard about the water and know that things may be better a little outside of town. Again, many thanks and I will contact you again, privately, if OK and I have another question or two.

Foremost regards,
Dennis T

Hi Dennis,

Did you say September 2015 visit to Darjeeling? I am a foreigner in India and exploring the option of settling down somewhere in the peaceful hills, with my partner and son. Darjeeling seems to be beckoning us, particularly because it has some of the best schools in India.

So we will also be going to Darjeeling (plus Sikkim) somewhere in September. One of the things i'd want to explore and understand is the level of expat life around there.

Perhaps we could have a cup of freshly 'plucked' tea somewhere?  Let me know. Marion

Hi Mr Marion,
We are also planning to relocate to Darjeeling to getaway from this Singapore city life. Any information or tips you have that you can share with us?
You can email us at ***
Thank you

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct