Where to live when working in Port Louis

Hey guys!
I've trolled the forums for info on this but still not really sure.

My question is just which areas to look for accommodation. I'm in my early twenties and moving to Mauritius for May - August for work in Port Louis.

I'm not precious when it comes to accommodation. But I'm super active so I would love to have access to a nice beach to exercise on. also pretty social but I'm not particularly fond of touristy spots like grande baie.

I don't mind having to do a little bit of travel to get to and fro work but if its a convenient location that would be better.

I was looking at maybe the mont choisy or trou aux biches. Any thoughts? Ta!

You can  also consider Curpipe (cold weather though raining most of the time) and Flic & Flac (closer to flic beach). Other cool spot are Blue bay.

I would like to suggest Bay du Tombeau, Pointe aux Sables or Albion.
You can easily reach Port Louis from those three villages.

Moderated by : Priscilla
Reason            : Thank you for posting you offer only in housing section

Thanks guys great advice I'll look into it!

Trou aux biches is a nice and lovely place to live.  The beach is very close and the environment is calm.  I love it here

Hi Ta
I would recommend you Moka.  It's very close to Port Louis for going to work every day.  Moka being in the centre of the island, it's easier to visit the island  You will not have a long distance to cover to see the various parts of the island,  and thus dont lose time in travelling .  [ Moderated by Priscilla : please post your ad in the housing section]

Vacoas is worth considering. Its in the centre of the island which means everywhere is accessible in less than one hour. You can get straight on the motorway to get to Port Louis; you are 15 minutes from Flic en Flac beach on the new link road, 20 minutes from Tamarin bay. Vacoas is a bustling town with everything you need. It also has a very good shopping centre at Phoenix with large supermarket ( Score Jumbo) , Apple store, superb food-court etc. You say you like activity..there is the SMF football pitches and running circuit, plus at the Phoenix Centre is an outstanding gym  ( MyGym ) with 25m indoor pool and the best weights and CV room on the island. Vacoas is also a good place to go on some superb bike rides up the mountains to Black River Gorges and many other routes. Vacoas is also only a 5 minute drive to Bagatelle Shopping Mall, the best one on the island. Hope this helps.

hi dear ,

I suggest Helvetia mall ( moka) will be better for you as we have lot of activities like gym ,badminton ,leisure ,supermarket etc..

regards
Rishi

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Please post your ad in the housing section

Hello,

Grand Baie is not that touristic if you have mass tourism in mind and in comparison to some other tourstic destinations abroad. It is a village with several centres and offers various facilities often in walking distance. Living close to Grand Baie isn't a bad idea and the period of time you are coming is low season anyway.

There is also an advantage with Grand Baie, there is an Express Bus that heads to Port-Louis every 30mins. You can consider residential areas close to Grand Baie such as Pereybere, Bain Boeuf, Pointe aux Canonniers, Mont Choisy and Trou aux Biches. You will then be more or less close to the beach and other facilities. Coffee shops, restaurants, bars, clubs, mall, supermarket, activities etc.

There is always a plus/minus for each region. Up to you to evaluate which criteria will be of highest priority.
The residential areas around Port-Louis can offer you access to other areas within vicinity, eventually also a lower rental price for accommodation. Many interns also consider Flic en Flac!

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads + please post your offer in the housing section section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Sorry I have to disagree with Moka, Vacoas being suitable for you, as your post said you would like to be by the beach and they are not close to a beach and if this is one of your criteria then these area's would not meet it.

I have to agree with the post from "Dietmar" I think as a young person this will be good for you, there is also Flic en Flac but longer to get to work, my friends husband commutes daily from Flic en Flac to PL and it takes him around an hour to get to work, no problem for him nor many of my friends who live in Black River either, as they want to live near the beach so worth it for them.

Read Dietmar's post as I think these area's will be good for you and you will be able to build up a social life easily.

Good luck :)

Absolutely Agree with Rosie. Thanks.

Port Louis is not an easy place to get to work , it suffers from very long traffic jams and as you say you are very active maybe you could say live on the west coast , Albion , Point Aux Sable Flic en-flac and commute to the outskirts of the city and then walk in. It may take a little longer perhaps but knowing the rush hour very well then it could be quicker.

Hello. Trou aux Biches is a nice place. 20-35 mins drive till Port Louis. Beach is nice there. I highly recommend this place. Good luck.