If you could go back in time...

Before you moved to Bangkok, what would you pack? What can't you get there? What do you wish you'd known?
I'm moving there in 2 months, my husband is already there with his new job. 7 years ago I moved from USA to Italy, and what I didn't know would have filled a book! Of course, it's fun to learn new things and thats part of the experience, but not everything I learned in Italy was pleasant…..
I guess I'm just trying to lesson the culture shock.

Pack cloths for a hot humid environment and don't worry because you can find almost everything in Bangkok.

Sarah - make this thread interesting and tell us about what sort of things you found out during your last move?  What did you not take, that you wish you had, why? And of coure what you took but did not need?

That would make interesting reading as to why you came to those conclusions and help people along your line of thinking.

Well, my mistakes was i read to much on the internet, and listen to much to people living here in the Tourist place.
And that have darkened my mind a little, i am sad to say.

But after around 3 month here, a good Thai friend of mine, become father, and invite me to the hospital to see he wife and newborn kid, and both there family there.

The wife in bed breastfeed the kid ask Me to come to the bedside, and told me, This is new life, new beginning.
And told me to start over her in Thailand like a newborn child with a open mind.
She told me to make my own observations, memory and experience in Thailand, with Thai people.
And forget what other foreigner have told me.
And from that point i never look back, and my life here have being pure joy.

I say when people come here, might bring medicine for 6-12 month (i did that) Give one time to find a good Hospital, Doctor clinic, Find out if the have all the medicine one need here, Some "special" medicine have to be order here.
Some they don´t sell a lot, and therefor don´t have on stock.
Some kind of medicine is prohibited in Thailand.

If one have a big medical history, ask back home before coming here, if they can put it on a usb stick.
Put scan picture, X-Ray on it. That way one don´t have to do it over here in Thailand.

And don´t be afraid coming here, Thai people in general are very nice and friendly and helpful.

Don´t be afraid eating street food, It is some of the best food here.

Learn some Thai, to make every day live a little easy.

Don´t only have foreigner friends, Make Thai friends, let them guide you, show you around, teach you.

Other then that, i hope you enjoy live here, it is a very good country, and the Thai people are so nice, and have open mind, So it is one self that make the limitation.

Kindly.

Sarah319 wrote:

. 7 years ago I moved from USA to Italy, and what I didn't know would have filled a book! .

If you fill a book between USA and Europe, it will be an encyclopedia between USA and Asia !! as there are huge difference in culture, life style, food, religion, education, driving, mentality, laws, taxes, work, wages, quality of water, temperature, politic, monarchy, etc...

Sarah319 wrote:

I'm moving there in 2 months, my husband is already there with his new job.

You said your husband is here, what are the first thoughts he told you ? Have you ever visited Thailand before or never ?  I hope he make some Thai friends from work or outside.

Sarah319 wrote:

what I didn't know would

When you said "What I did not know ", even living in your own country there are many things you don't know in specific areas, moving abroad  will take time to adapt to understand culture, language barrier, etc

Just keep in mind that any stuffs imported are very expensive here due to import duty and taxes.

That depends on how you want to live here, if you were living in USA in a villa with pool in a green and quiet area and you end up here in a big city in a condominium tower, this can already be a change for you...

People who move here alone, or in couple, or with kids, or married with Thai partner will have different need, for example price for attractions will often be different for foreigners and Thai, but if you don't have basic notions about counting and reading number you will not even notice it.

Bring your international driving licence even you need to convert it after 6 months to a Thai driving licence, right and drive car here like in UK, think about it, but you maybe not need to drive in Bangkok just take BTS... but never know if you visit others places and want to rent a car..

Read also about scams even it is more for tourist as new comer here you need to be aware about the main one, check in internet.

Inform your bank in USA if you don't want your card to be blocked, be aware about fees at ATM if using foreign cards, plus others bank charges and exchange rate

If you go to eat in tourist areas with restaurant having menus in different languages, you will end up paying like in your country or even more, your life style will need some adjustment here if you want to pay less, market food, street food, local restaurant, etc...

i found it pretty easy moving to Asia - first few years are tough you have to adapt, the secret is learning how to let go. keeps you sane

Culture shock is going to relate more to everything being slightly different than not packing something in particular, but then you've surely been through a different version of that in Italy. 

One adapts by finding new ways to fit into a different place, and it takes time, and staying open to change is more important than what you end up doing or who you meet.

As far as what to pack, or buy in advance--again a different question--they have versions of almost everything here, it's just a matter of liking something in particular they don't have, or that seems really expensive, so even if you can find it paying double or triple the cost back in the US seems wrong.

An example:  they have Ben and Jerry's ice cream here, but a lot of people wouldn't want to pay $10 or more for a pint of it.  You can likely find your favorite breakfast cereals here, but they'll cost double or triple the price in America because of being imported, so it might seem natural to switch to corn flakes, or whatever else Thais produce and eat. 

For something like vitamins or medicines or cosmetics the exact same products you usually buy might not be available so you might want to think that through.  Shoes are more expensive here, or electronics, lots of things really, but you could always go on a side-trip to a place like Singapore where taxes are set up differently. 

Travel options are a big plus here; you could get on a bus and be in Cambodia in no time (although my wife would insist on flying), and lots of other countries are as close as the next state in the States.  That won't really help with culture shock but it is an interesting up-side.