Cost of living in Vietnam for an expat

Hi All

A friend of mine being from US just wants to know if he can survive in Vietnam with US$1,000/ month before getting a job.  Based on your experience living here in Vietnam, could you please share your thoughts to my friend.

I estimate the total costs of living as follows based on my experience living on my own:

- 1 bed-room apartment rental: US$250-US$400 (depending on location)
- Meals: US$400
- Budget travels, hangs-out, transportation: US$200-US$350

Thanks All
Nguyet

I live on less than that,about 15 million a month. But I dont eat out at expat restaurants or drink in expat bars. It all comes down to your lifestyle, I know some people who struggle to survive on 40 million a month.

colinoscapee wrote:

I live on less than that,about 15 million a month. But I dont eat out at expat restaurants or drink in expat bars. It all comes down to your lifestyle, I know some people who struggle to survive on 40 million a month.

Thanks for your advice Colinoscapee, really appreciated.  With 15mil, are you able to manage to travel around the country or nearby area?

Warm regards
Nguyet

Well thats just the cost per month for living costs,travel would be on top of that.

colinoscapee wrote:

Well thats just the cost per month for living costs,travel would be on top of that.

Your advice is well noted with thanks Colinoscapee.

Warm regards
Nguyet

really depends on the person. you can survive on 1000usd here easily. but being a american, i can only speak for myself, 1000usd is barely enough to be happy living here in vietnam. I'm 26 so maybe i spend a little bit more recklessly then others, but i think rent is around 400-600 easily for a place that meets the bare minimum requirements for US standards. Food, you can cheap it out at 60k a day, but to me coming from America and cheating out like that isn't right. I'd say it'll run at about 10 dollars a day, and other days would cost more. Also most likely you'll be spending money on coffee a few times a week if you don't like coffee like me. just something to kill time, beat the heat, and not be stuck in your room 24/7. From what i can say is 1000usd will cover rent, food and coffee. There will be other expenses too if you want to travel, taxi or renting a motorbike. Buying snack and water and other things for your room. Other needs that might end up costing more money is joining a gym, haircuts, getting massage, laundry, visa run etc. Going out with friends will add up too. I tried to keep it short but i don't think i did lol.

I'm living in Vietnam with 8 mil per month and Happy

Varinderpal Singh wrote:

I'm living in Vietnam with 8 mil per month and Happy

8 million a month, now thats really living tight,are you renting a very cheap room.

I'm renting a room about 3 mil. cheap , safe , comfortable and  in good location.
I'm living happily , not  tight anymore.

Varinderpal Singh wrote:

I'm renting a room about 3 mil. cheap , safe , comfortable and  in good location.
I'm living happily , not  tight anymore.

Thanks for your information Varinderpal.

Nguyet

andy1npl wrote:

really depends on the person. you can survive on 1000usd here easily. but being a american, i can only speak for myself, 1000usd is barely enough to be happy living here in vietnam. I'm 26 so maybe i spend a little bit more recklessly then others, but i think rent is around 400-600 easily for a place that meets the bare minimum requirements for US standards. Food, you can cheap it out at 60k a day, but to me coming from America and cheating out like that isn't right. I'd say it'll run at about 10 dollars a day, and other days would cost more. Also most likely you'll be spending money on coffee a few times a week if you don't like coffee like me. just something to kill time, beat the heat, and not be stuck in your room 24/7. From what i can say is 1000usd will cover rent, food and coffee. There will be other expenses too if you want to travel, taxi or renting a motorbike. Buying snack and water and other things for your room. Other needs that might end up costing more money is joining a gym, haircuts, getting massage, laundry, visa run etc. Going out with friends will add up too. I tried to keep it short but i don't think i did lol.

Thanks Andy for your information.  In fact, I have to admit that your response is true and as I am worried.  Being a young guy, my friend will have to spend even more than US$1,000 for other stuff too, not to mention he may hang out with several beautiful girls, lol.

Well if he cant afford it he should stay where he is.

Its my pleasure to  to help people those need help.  :)

150-200$ for a room.
400$ for a motorbike
Contact me if you need help

He will also have to factor in healthcare costs if he hasn't a plan in place, and no girls, bad for the wallet, heart and mind. if he does go ahead and relocates, tell him to have a way to return to the USA just in case. i saw too many ex-pats in dire need of returning home but unable to afford it and having to borrow money off fellow ex-pats or sleeping rough, when i was out there for a few months.

whiterider wrote:

He will also have to factor in healthcare costs if he hasn't a plan in place, and no girls, bad for the wallet, heart and mind. if he does go ahead and relocates, tell him to have a way to return to the USA just in case. i saw too many ex-pats in dire need of returning home but unable to afford it and having to borrow money off fellow ex-pats or sleeping rough, when i was out there for a few months.

Thanks Whiterider for your advice, yes I forgot about healthcare costs which should be taken into calculation too. And quite impressed of your advice on "no girls cause its bad for wallet, heart and mind", lol. The point is, my friend is still young at the age of 34, without going out with girls will kill him gradually lol. Wish him and his wallet, heart, mind luck then!

Warm regards
Nguyet

Nguyet Truong wrote:

The point is, my friend is still young at the age of 34, without going out with girls will kill him gradually lol

Young or old, doesn't really matter. First time in VN, if he starts behaving like a 'kid in a candy shop', things might get worse very soon (especially, if he is on a fixed budget).

Depends on location.

If he wants to live in Saigon for a single guy that doesn't cook at home at least $20 million dongs.

I live more in the countryside where there is no downtown life. My budget is $10 million dongs. I average about $7 million dongs a month and medical makes up about 30% of it because my wife keeps getting pregnant.

Every morning I'd drive my wife to the local market and sit on my bike waiting for my wife to finish buying the day's meal supplies.

If you go this avenue buying food supplies at local market to cook at home your budget will be less. And girls dig guys that can cook at home. Better and cheaper than impressing the girls at local bars.

I always thought the definition of expat was the ones sent by large companies with housing allowances, school allowances for the kids, etc. That's the "Expat" package.

Other than that you are a foreigner working/living here. A foreigner that can live on less than 10mil a month is almost completely localised I think. Shopping at local markets, know where the cheap and good stuff are, own a motorbike, etc.

Myself I can't do less than 20mil a month (including housing).

Expat short for expatriate is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of their citizenship.

It doesn't take into consideration if you work or not. Quite simply if you don't reside in your citizenship country you are an expat.

My citizenship is Canada. I may own my own house and motorbike in Vietnam. And my daily activities are exactly the same as the locals.  But I don't hold Vietnam citizenship so I'm an expat.

Of course there can't be give an general answer, most depend on our life style  :)
After 6 years my experiences usual a condominium is more expensive than a small house.
I got in Da Lat and close HCMC nice houses 3 bed, 4 bath room big living room and kitchen fully furnished for 450 $,
depend you use aircon, electricity 25 - 50 $, water very cheap few $. If you don't need always foreign food I would say with 1000 $ you are at the good side. Depend on your visa, if you have to travel abroad it cost some $ more than 200 $ each 3 month,

In patient care is really cheap in vietnam. I would suggest go to a HSBC branch and get the executive package from Bao Viet. It costs around 150$ per year and your pretty well insured.

pogo007 wrote:

In patient care is really cheap in vietnam. I would suggest go to a HSBC branch and get the executive package from Bao Viet. It costs around 150$ per year and your pretty well insured.

Thanks for this valuable information.

SwissViet wrote:

Of course there can't be give an general answer, most depend on our life style  :)
After 6 years my experiences usual a condominium is more expensive than a small house.
I got in Da Lat and close HCMC nice houses 3 bed, 4 bath room big living room and kitchen fully furnished for 450 $,
depend you use aircon, electricity 25 - 50 $, water very cheap few $. If you don't need always foreign food I would say with 1000 $ you are at the good side. Depend on your visa, if you have to travel abroad it cost some $ more than 200 $ each 3 month,

Thanks for your information, and yes the visa run costs should be taken into consideration as well.

pogo007 wrote:

I have insurance with Bao Viet the inpatient policy is ok, but better to get full hospital cover in case of serious problems.

Small country cities are a lot cheaper, ( pop around 120, 000 ), I live on 5 -- 6 mil a month, but I always cook for myself, ( and dog ), no noisy restaurants, and don't drink goats piss , many houses are under 2 mil a month. Unlimited internet/cable /TV, 240 k a month,  I've never bothered with healthcare, eat properly, keep yourself fit, ( or internet medical for small problems ). Other peoples smoke is the worst problem here.

Yes perhaps even cheaper than that, i have been living on 500 per month for last 3 months . \

I would estimate anywhere outside of Saigon or Hanoi a person can live comfortable for about 700 USD I blogged about retirement in Vietnam that might have information you are looking for http://owee58.com/2014/08/27/retire-in-vietnam/

Hi everyone,

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks

Priscilla

OP, as you can see ther are varying examples. Nobody cant tell you exactly as we dont know the guy or how he lives,lets just say if he gets here 1000usd should cover most of his costs as long as he doesnt eat out too much or chase too many girls.

I'm living in Hanoi(old quarter) with  less than $1000 a month: $350 for a large room with kitchen, $200 for food, local bus as transportation, $100 for extra expenses and a nice GF.

hongma wrote:

I'm living in Hanoi(old quarter) with  less than $1000 a month: $350 for a large room with kitchen, $200 for food, local bus as transportation, $100 for extra expenses and a nice GF.

Yogi's interested.....
How do you feed yourself and a nice GF for $200 bucks a month.

Does she have any sisters with similar budget requirements. 😄

Yeah, that's possible with a 'nice GF', if she can adjust  :)
Hope she can cook well !

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Best of luck, :)
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Best of luck, :)
Bhavna

" $100 for extra expenses and a nice GF."
I see you deleted my  GF = Grandfather  comment, how do you know for sure it wasn't??? 
For only $100 for a GF = girl friend, she must be REALLY nice??
GF could also mean something else, but it would most likely be only the once, ( unless she was really ugly).