Is it this hard finding good apartments right now?

Toon wrote:

but we have told you.... how they can and will rip you off

Can you please tell me again then in very simple English as I haven't understood?

I haven't slept all night, and just wanna shoot myself right now.

I asked if the recite he gives me is from arms (2 pages apparently) how could he rip me off?

I understand I'm not getting residential rates, im fine with that.

Wronghole you need to make choices for yourself , redmik and toon are people I would trust to know what's what but they are not going to be living there or paying for it ... They both want to protect you from being ripped off , they have provided you with sound advice now you need to decide for yourself if you feel you have done everything to prevent yourself being screwed over then by all means go for it .

I know it's stressful but your paying a lot of money and the last thing you want is to piss it up the wall

How can I make a decision when I still have no idea HOW they can rip me off?

Wrongholebutherewego wrote:

Best go home then!

They are ripping you off by charging you more than you should be paying. If you're OK with that, then that's your choice (and if it's a choice between paying extra or shooting yourself, I'd go with the paying extra!).

People are just giving you advice based on their own experiences. It's not just for your benefit - there's a real feeling here, that seems to be proving to be true, that the more people who refuse to rent when they're on the wrong rates, the more the powers that be are pushed into making things fairer.

However, for what it's worth, we were being ripped off for the two years we were here. It didn't kill us, but it did hurt, financially. We now know how to deal with things.

Charging you more for electric and water than you should be paying
Forcing you into a corner in terms of properties saying there isn't much available etc or rushing you so you pay more for an apartment etc

Telling you its on at x then knocking off a chunk when it's probably not even worth the lower figure

Has anybody been refused the cheaper rates when they've taken form H in?  Our new landlord phoned to ask about it and was told by ARMS that the only way to get the reduction was to change it into the tenants name for a cost, which he's obviously not happy to do at the moment. We'll be his first tenants, so he doesn't have a clue about it but is willing to sign it for us as long as it doesn't change his rates at home.  When we phoned ARMS, they told us the same thing and said it wasn't possible.  I'm just worried the form will be sent back and we'll be stuck with higher rates.

Moderated by :  Priscilla
Reason : Insults are not allowed here

I hate pointing people away from here and on to another group but its worth joining a group on Facebook (sorry I'm going to be shot down for this) but i feel that due to the stress people are under they should look on that site.
There are people on there that will actually go with you to ARM's and sort things out with you.

Arms group

Click on above and sooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyy - duck!!!!

Sam, no, the ARMs person was wrong/lying. The bills absolutely don't need to be changed to the tenants' names. I also agree that the Facebook group is well-worth joining - it's a very effective group.

slanted wrote:

They are ripping you off by charging you more than you should be paying. If you're OK with that, then that's your choice (and if it's a choice between paying extra or shooting yourself, I'd go with the paying extra!).

People are just giving you advice based on their own experiences. It's not just for your benefit - there's a real feeling here, that seems to be proving to be true, that the more people who refuse to rent when they're on the wrong rates, the more the powers that be are pushed into making things fairer.

However, for what it's worth, we were being ripped off for the two years we were here. It didn't kill us, but it did hurt, financially. We now know how to deal with things.

Of course I know by charging me higher but I still have not been told how they can charge me higher if I recieve a recite from arms? Except from the domestic and residential rates which I already said I do not care about.

robpw2 wrote:

Charging you more for electric and water than you should be paying
Forcing you into a corner in terms of properties saying there isn't much available etc or rushing you so you pay more for an apartment etc

Telling you its on at x then knocking off a chunk when it's probably not even worth the lower figure

Still how do they do this if I receive a recite from arms every month? I've been adking this like ten times. I'm guessing they can't but you keep saying they can so please tell me how.

And with the aparents. So you mean each and everyone of the 6 agents were dishonest, plus intentially do not put up properties on malta park?

g4jnw wrote:

I hate pointing people away from here and on to another group but its worth joining a group on Facebook (sorry I'm going to be shot down for this) but i feel that due to the stress people are under they should look on that site.
There are people on there that will actually go with you to ARM's and sort things out with you.

Arms group

Click on above and sooooooorrrrrrryyyyyyy - duck!!!!

Thank you

Sam4321 wrote:

Has anybody been refused the cheaper rates when they've taken form H in?  Our new landlord phoned to ask about it and was told by ARMS that the only way to get the reduction was to change it into the tenants name for a cost, which he's obviously not happy to do at the moment. We'll be his first tenants, so he doesn't have a clue about it but is willing to sign it for us as long as it doesn't change his rates at home.  When we phoned ARMS, they told us the same thing and said it wasn't possible.  I'm just worried the form will be sent back and we'll be stuck with higher rates.

That is 100% BS. They are both lying to you, your landlord and ARMS.

All you need to do is complete the Form H and take it to Enemalta and they are by law required to put you on the residential rate. You no longer even need to have the Residency Card, just a passport will suffice now. There is absolutely no need to change the name on the bills. That is possible and it does cost extra money, but nobody does it, signing the Form H means the bills will still stay in your landlord's name. But there will be at least one resident declared as using the property as their prime residence on Malta, so you are entitled to the cheaper rates. New info from Toon also means you no longer need a copy of your landlord's ID Card, although as previously explained, if you do it behind his back, there may be consequences.

Don't believe this "I'm new to this business so I don't really know what's going on or how it works" story.

Both your landlord and ARMS are feeding you a pack of lies. Or they are both completely incompetent. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Hey I know how you feel, Iv been non stop all day trying to find properties that we can move into, I'v viewed a few but there is barely anything available at all, we have till the 20th till we have to move out of the company flat so hopefully we will find somewhere in time but it is so hard at the moment and most agents said it worse they have ever seen!! Nightmare

On An Island wrote:

That is 100% BS. They are both lying to you, your landlord and ARMS.

All you need to do is complete the Form H and take it to Enemalta and they are by law required to put you on the residential rate. You no longer even need to have the Residency Card, just a passport will suffice now. There is absolutely no need to change the name on the bills. That is possible and it does cost extra money, but nobody does it, signing the Form H means the bills will still stay in your landlord's name. But there will be at least one resident declared as using the property as their prime residence on Malta, so you are entitled to the cheaper rates. New info from Toon also means you no longer need a copy of your landlord's ID Card, although as previously explained, if you do it behind his back, there may be consequences.

Don't believe this "I'm new to this business so I don't really know what's going on or how it works" story.

Both your landlord and ARMS are feeding you a pack of lies. Or they are both completely incompetent. Possible, but highly unlikely.

Thanks.  Do you know how long it takes after handing the form in?

I don't think it's the landlord because it really is his first time renting.  He phoned because he'd never heard of it, but he is willing to sign it for us so that won't be a problem.  It's a new build, so I do believe it's his first time renting and him being apprehensive at first was just down to lack of experience.

Hey Sam, I don't know how long it takes, it should be a formality though. I've never had to do it fortunately, all of my 3 landlords in Malta have been living abroad, but them and their whole family were still registered on the bills. I'm currently living on my own but got 3 residents on the bill, so I'm almost guaranteed to get the extra discount because of the eco reductions. There are occasions when it's good to be part of the corrupt Maltese system, sometimes it can actually work in your favour!!

If it's your landlord's first rental, maybe that does explain why he is nervous, at least he has agreed to sign the form. If it is a new build, for sure there will be 0 residents on the bill at the moment, you will be the first people living there.

Sam4321 wrote:

ARMs are lying to you  - signing form H has absolutely no impact on the LLs rate at his primary residence. REMEMBER ARMS ARE THE REVENUE COLLECTIONS AGENT FOR ENEMALTA WSC AND THE GOVERNMENT THEIR MISSION STATEMENT IS QUITE CLEAR - THEY WILL INCREASE REVENUES....... BY HOOK OR BY CROOK AND THAT MEANS GETTING AS MANY PEOPLE TO PAY THE DEPOSIT AS POSSIBLE

Please ask your LL to sign the form - take him with you if he is happy to do so - it is YOUR right to have these rates in YOUR primary residence - please cite this article and the statement form Konrad Mizzi.......

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … RzdWvmUf1C 

also note that even if a LL refused.....ARMs have been instructed to accept a letter from the tenant stating they are the consumers and occupiers of the property and as such have a right to lower residential tariff on THEIR primary residence...... believe me this has been tested this week and has been succesfull  - it is a verifed event.

in the event that you are refused form H by the landlord -

this is what you need

Been refused Form H and residential tariff this is what you need to get it
This is what you need to apply for the residential rate when your landlord refuses to sign Form H.
1. Form H Fill in section B and remember to tick the ‘subsidy box'

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

2. Copies of ID documents for ALL residents of the property. This can be a passport, ID card ‘A' included, or the new e-card
3. A print out of this article highlighting Konrad Mizzi's declaration.

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … SVJhPmUcav

nb highllght the last 2 paragraphs

4. A copy of your signed Lease.
5. A letter stating that you live in the property. example here
Today's date.
“We the undersigned have been residents of (address) since (Dates) and are being denied the residential rate due to the Landlords refusal to endorse Form H
We are therefore making application, independently, as tenants living in our Primary Residence, to be placed on the Residential rate, as stated by The Minister for Energy Konrad Mizzi, in the attached article”
Signed.

please though be aware that your LL may become a tad abusive and not like what you have done - as he will only see this as "going behind his back" but always remember if hadnt lied to you and had been upfront about the real costs this wouldnt happen and also remember he is in many cases cheating the tax man at your expense...

There is much confusion with regard to which utility tariff should be applied when you rent a property.

Something that should be extremely simple is made extremely complicated.  This is more than likely to be intentional because: 

Arms collects more money than it should from tenants living in their primary residences;

letting agents do not have to broker unpleasant negotiations so, in the main, do not give the necessary information to prospective tenants;

most landlords do not want to document the presence of rent paying tenants in their so called empty second properties to enable tax evasion on their rental income.

When you look at the breakdown of the three tariffs it is as plain as anything that there are clear rationales behind each tariff that have nothing to do with the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. 

In other words: expensive, less expensive and least expensive is not what it's about.

This is also backed by a series of Arms adverts in the Times of Malta late last year which stated that "The residential tariff is applicable on the consumer's primary residence."

Plus Article 45, Chapter 4 of the Constitution of Malta states the following:  "... no law shall make any provision that is discriminatory either of itself or in its effect."

Tenants are NOT lesser beings.  Tenants should not pay at the extortionate domestic rate or non residential rate simply because they are tenants.

Please remember:

The non residential tariff is for businesses

The domestic tariff is for empty or occasionally used properties

The residential tariff is the tariff EVERYBODY living in their primary residence should be on.

Arms Form H is the form you need to be registered as living in the property.  It isn't just the money, however.  It's also the danger that you may end up being technically liable for an extortionate bill especially if you are more than 1 person living in the property.  You may be subject to precautionary garnishee orders on your bank account and / or salary if you refuse to continue overpaying.  Arms Form H:   https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

I have set up a facebook group called Malta Tenant Support and also a website of the same name.  Unfortunately I cannot reproduce all the information here.  Good luck.

Got to agree, it is a relatively simple matter that is much misunderstood.

in my opinion it is only simple when the LL agrees to do the right thing...... lol

I am leaving the island, and have a large 3 bed 2 bath with exceptional views over to the Gozo channel. This an apartment that comes on the market very rarely. Email me and I will send photos. [email protected]. Best wishes.

HI, What area is this apartment in? Thank you Samantha

'sunmaverick'  seems to live in Qwara.
For sale or rent though?

its for rent in Mellieha - I know them personally  -  they used to live in Qawra just havent updated their profile

residential tariffs too for two people immediately and shouldnt be a problem for more via form H.

fully furnished to a high standard

Hi.
I think you need to look around a bit. There are some decent estate agents. Frank salt, remax, Simon Mamo. I moved here 2years ago from UK, we found you have to be very clear and state exactly what your requirements are. Otherwise you will be shown some crap places. Make sure you're not being ripped off. Check the prices of apartments you like on the internet before you view. We viewed about ten places before we opted for a 3 bed penthouse in birkirkara for 500 per month. At this time of year the good places get snapped up quickly. 700 per month is a lot of money you should be able to get a very nice penthouse anywhere except sliema at Julian's area. Good luck.

Agents are a mixed bag and i have had bad and good experiences from those mentioned  - mainly bad.

I guess if we want to live here then we have to comply with the ways, weather we like or not. Yes most of us well over pay for our utilities and by doing so, we are actually paying for the utilities of our landlords..  :thanks:

I suppose it would sound better if the landlords were honest at the outset and said, yeah!!  you can rent my property on the condition that you pay my utilities as well.  :lol: