New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 1st quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello Phureau,

You say you are leaving France to visit Costa Rica for a month, are you not going to miss all the action in France?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40iJKvcKypA

Hello Phureau,
The news stations broadcasting in both Canada and the US cover the Islamic problems that exist in all European countries, with much mention of what has been happening in Paris and London.  Also; here in Costa Rica we are now getting numerous European expats "who are moving here to flee the Muslim problems in their country", we have many British retirees in our area.  I wish you luck with your intentions to familiarize yourself with life here in Costa Rica.

I am from Calgary, Alberta and own a condo in Tamarindo, Guanacaste. I also own a lot in Playa Lagarto Eco Development.

I come to Tamarindo for a week or two every month and I drive by the Playa Lagarto site every so often to monitor progress.

Welcome on board Joan Marie,
I joined myself just a few months ago, after it became clear that i want to check out Costa Rica this fall, to potentially live there as a snow bird or longer.
Comparatively speaking we are almost neighbours in AB, as i currently reside in Banff.

cheers, Klaus

Just remember that the crack down on perpetual tourists is presently underway, and that a visitors visa has a maximum of 90 days.

Hi,  I'd like to introduce myself.  I was born and live here in Costa Rica. I just liked your blog and thought that maybe I could help some of you with your doubts about our (and now yours) country.  Hope you have a nice experience here and you're quite welcome.

I am a woman, have a nice big family here in Costa Rica and have always worked as a secretary. My native  language is Spanish, but also know some English. 

Have a nice stay here.

HI ALL ------“DONISTON” HERE:

I would like contact with any Costa Rica Expats-- especially those currently living in the areas south of Limon, and who are willing to impart “CURRENT” information regarding special interests which I have.----- I submit the following:

I am a senior, pensioned naturally born US Citizen who is presently living in Wisconsin, and as of approximately 5 October, 2015 I will be traveling to the referenced area and arriving there approximately mid October. I will be permanently leaving the US, and will not return to it. And have every intention of becoming a permanent resident and later, a citizen of NC'

I will be traveling with two Chihuahuas, a 23 year old 4wd pickup and utility trailer, both loaded with all the personal belongings I wish to bring, plus a few expected requirements for my new life. (things which I believe will be relatively unavailable there.)

FIRST INFORMATIVE REQUEST.: I would like the name of a reliable, and honest rental agent, wherein I came make arrangements for temporary housing, upon arrival,--(perhaps a Private owner (permanent housing will be selected after arrival.)

I will be looking forward to having a large “FENCED IN”garden with raised beds, and containing laying hens (prefering Araconas,) a few ducks for insect control, and a 4 Doe rabbitry

SECOND INFORMATIVE REQUEST: As I have raised rabbits before, It is+ possible that I would start a commercal rabbitry. Question, Are therre presently any rabbitries in the area, and/or is rabbit meat reasionably available there? At what price.???

THIRD IR: Another possibility is the propegation of Atlantic Spade Fsh as a food fish. I know that they are in the gulf of Mexico, and reporedly all the way from the Carolinas, to south america, Is this true?, and are thery available from local fisherment? I know a great deal about their habitates and habits.

While I have never been in Costa Rica, I learned a great deal about it in the 1950s from friend and relative named Jerome Dickman Klauck, and who was known to the county folk there as MISTA DICK
While true or not, I was told that at that time there was a Roadway named ”RIO MISTA DICK”

At any rate, this is enough to start.

Thanks all. Don K

Before making this permanent move it is advisable to visit prior to  moving.

Things have changed dramatically since the 1950's...

Bringing in such an old vehicle, will bring incur duty of approx 80%, and it is wise to check in advance, if parts are available easily here.

Residency requirements

We are new here, my wife Lisa and I.  After a recent 10 day tour of Costa Rica, I fell in love with the country.  And, in light of where the good ol' USA is headed, we are ready to bolt!  Of course we have a lot  to learn and don't want to jump from one draining sink to another.

Looking for all the advice we can get.

Thanks,

Scotty

If you plan to live anywhere near Limon you are a brave sole, or you are black.  Good luck to you.
http://costarica.usembassy.gov/messages … vince.html

Doniston, you will have to pay duty on your trailer which will be based on the Costa Rica book value, and also on the contents.

While there has been recent problems that are drug related in the area, many expats do  live, quite happily in the coastal communities.

It is advisable to take time to check if the area is right for you, prior to arriving with all your belongings.

thank you . i look forward to the experience.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=495017

Thanks!

Closed