IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

Depending on what Brazilian city you live in, it is quite common for there to be delays. The CIE is prepared in Brasília and the Ministry of Justice sends them out in bulk to the state headquarters of the Policia Federal in each of the states. From there they are sorted out and delivered to the Regional Superitendencies (delegacys responsible for foreigners) in each city or jurisdiction. This does take time.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Yeah, it took me around 4 months in Boa Vista to get my CIE. It was a bit longer than they estimated, but I was just grateful that I didn't have to wait 2 years like under the old rules.

Hi james
              I online checked for my CIE Status its showing FAB / DICRE / CGPI , can you please tell me whats mean ?
Data:                              04/05/2015
Hora:                              07:14
Recebimento:                    CONFIRMADO EM 04/05/2015
Destino:                            FAB/DICRE/CGPI
Responsável:                   N`O INFORMADO
Despacho:                   CAIXA 21072 CARTEIRA EMITIDA DIA 04/05/2015

thanks

Responded on the other topic, but your CIE was produced TODAY, it will probably still take a couple of weeks to get back to the Delegacy where you applied. Check with them every couple of days until it actually arrives.

Pesquisa Andamento do Processo
Nome:     XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Protocolo:     XXXXXXXXXXXX74
GMP:     000XXX
Data:     06/05/2015
Hora:     11:44
Recebimento:     NAO CONFIRMADO
Destino:     FAB/DICRE/CGPI
Responsável:     N`O INFORMADO
Despacho:     CX 21100 CARTEIRA EMITIDA DIA 06/05/2015

Para saber o andamento de sua carteira-CIE ou solicitação:

a) Se a movimentação indicar que o processo está na DELEMIG, NRE, DEAIN, ou DPF/sigla/UF, procure a unidade da PF para obter maiores informações;

b) Em caso de dúvida, ligue 194.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Does this mean also that the RNE/CIE card has been issued, how will I know when it is available to collect at my PF station?

Thanks in advance.

It means that your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro has been produced today, it may still take a few weeks for it to get back to the delegacy where you applied for it, but you can start checking with them every couple of days to see when it actually arrives

It means that the CIE has been produced (in Brasília), but it has not yet been received at the DPF delegacy where you applied. Depending on the city where you applied this may take a few weeks yet, since they are sent to the STATE headquarters for the DPF in each state and then distributed from there to all of the delegacies in that state.

When it is received back at the delegacy the "Recebimento:" line will change to CONFIRMADO and the "Responsável" line may change as well.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks again for your advice.  It is most appreciated!

My data was shwing as Confirmado em 13/04/2015 but yesterday, I received the email of FP.  Till 04/05/2015, it was not dispatched. I have already visited FP office many times. As I think your card will take 2 or 3 weeks to be dispatched.

Please, how do I check for the status of my permanent visa online? I applied on 23rd April, 2015.

You check on the Policia Federal website (works only with Internet Explorer):

https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/p … ocesso.jsp

Thank you very much

Hi James,
               I need your advice regarding my permanent visa process,we have applied to transform temporary visa to permanent via my company more than 1 year ago but still status showing as WAITING FOR ANALYSIS in Ministry of Justice site. I have a Brazilian child now and will it be a better idea to cancel permanent visa applied via company and apply through Brazilian child since new process takes less than 2 months? I would appreciate your help on this.

Yes, cancel the old application by all means.

You get permanency and register in the RNE all at the same time if your paperwork is all in order. You only wait to get the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro. (They say 2 months).

When applying based on a Brazilian child permanency is 100% guaranteed.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you very much for the prompt response James. It`s really helpful and will keep posted the outcome. Thanks.

To apply for citizenship of Brazil, it is mandatory to pass the exam of CELPE-Bras . There are four levels of certification: intermediate, higher intermediate, advanced and higher advanced. Which level of certification is required? thanks!!!

Hi sakraan,

You should check with the Federal Police (where you applied for permanency) because some locations require the CELPE-Bras and others, especially smaller or remote cities, will apply their own test.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

yes, but I want to participate in CELPE-Bras. Passing its simple intermediate level of certification is enough?

Pesquisa Andamento do Processo
Nome:     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Protocolo:     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
GMP:     0009737
Data:     16/06/2015
Hora:     13:43
Recebimento:     CONFIRMADO EM 18/06/2015
Destino:     FAB/DICRE/CGPI
Responsável:     N`O INFORMADO
Despacho:     CAIXA 21448 - CARTEIRA EMITIDA DIA 16/06/2015

Para saber o andamento de sua carteira-CIE ou solicitação:

a) Se a movimentação indicar que o processo está na DELEMIG, NRE, DEAIN, ou DPF/sigla/UF, procure a unidade da PF para obter maiores informações;

b) Em caso de dúvida, ligue 194.
------------

This is the status of my permanency application. Does it mean that my RNE/CIE card is ready to be picked up from DPF?

Yes, it means that the CIE has been received.

Thanks james for your prompt reply, so I will go to the PF and collect my CIE.

Hi James
              I hope you doing good ,can you please guide me about CNPJ for estringeros? i already trying to make but people not giving me correct info,and also what documents i need .

Regards
haseeb

Sorry, I can't help you with the CNPJ (Cadastro Nacional de Pessoas Juridicas) process. It requires both a lawyer and an accountant experienced in business start-up. It is a very complex, bureaucratic process that will take around 120 days.

It is nothing like the CPF at all, which is a very simple process. Business opening is really complicated here.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello there

I have my VIPER visa (Brazilian wife ) in my Passport

I got this at the Consul in Cape Town South Africa where we have been living for 3 years - my home city/country

When I get to Brazil on 9th of July - Campinas

What exactly do I need to do to get my documents
I know I need to apply for ID card from federal police at Campinas airport - do I book that online?
Then how do I get my CPF and work book - are there any other documents I will need
I have a possible job offer and need to get all this sorted out as quickly and smoothly as possible - what offices will I need to visit
I believe fedral police at Campinas airport are the fastest and best in Brazil

any advice would be greatly appreciated
regards
Stephen Kramer

Hi Stephen,

You must register with the Federal Police within 30 days of arrival in Brazil. You do most of it online at their website:

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … -e-anistia

Complete steps 1 through 3 (steps 4 and 5 are only if you need to reprint the GRU (receipt) or reschedule your appointment)

Fill out all the information on all tabs in step 1. Next generate and print off the GRU (receipt) for the registration fee.
In the window that appears you want to select #3 "Pessoas e entidades estrangeiras"

In the field for "Agência Arrecadadora" click on the down arrow and then scroll down until you find "Delegacia da Policia Federal em Campinas" and click on it to insert it into the blank field.

In the field for "Código da Receita STN" click on the magnifying glass and scroll down until you find "140082      Taxa      REGISTRO DE ESTRANGEIROS/RESTABELECIMENTO DE REGISTRO     64,58" and click on it to insert into the blank field. Then click "Gerar Guia" to print it off. Note that once printed you must pay the fee at any bank within 7 days or you'll need to print a new one because the banks can't accept payment after that.

In step 3. you will schedule your appointment for the registration at the DPF in Campinas. Some smaller cities don't actually have appointments so don't be surprised if it comes back with nothing available. If it does, or if there is no appointment available within the 30 days from arrival, just print off everything, pay the GRU and go there. They'll fit you in.

For the Carteira de Trabalho (work book) you have to take your passport, Marriage Certificate and two 3X4 color photos to the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor. I don't know if there's one in Campinas, but their should be.

Anything else, just ask.... we'll get you sorted out.

Cheers,

i'm a refugee in brazil for a year now, i'm married with a brasilian, and i want to apply for a resident permit here in sao paulo, i met all the required documents but left with the criminal certificate from my country, and currently, i dont have any friend or family in my country to help apply for criminal certificate, so i can apply the viper visa without the ghanaian criminal certificate?  because i dont have any way to get that but i only have a photocopy of the last criminal certificate i did in 2011 in my country

If you have no criminal record (i.e. never been convicted of a crime, and are not currently charged with any) the Federal Police will provide you with a "Declaração Sob Pena da Lei de Não Condenação" that you fill out and it takes the place of a Certified Criminal Record Check. Depending on the city, you may be able to sign it in front of the Federal Police officer, in others you may have to take it to a Cartório and have it notarized (reconhecimento da firma por autenticidade ONLY).

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

well, i have never indulge in any criminal activities or been convicted with any criminal activities both here in brazil and back home in ghana. well, i went to policia federal and they told me that, its not necessary because they can print the criminal record on their computer for me process. thank you a lot.

Hi James,

Thank you for all the valuable info that you post up. I have an inquiry about the birth of a child in Brazil. From what I understand, once a baby is born the parents will be given a paper that needs to be taken to the cartorio. Following that his birth certificate will be issued by the cartorio which we will then have to take to the policia federale. My question is: do the policia federale take that birth certificate and keep it with them till the passport is issued or do they just look at it, make copies (or whatever) and give it back on the spot?

Also is there a fast track system to issue a passport for a baby in Brazil? even if we have to pay extra.

Regards

Hello sb2015,

First of all, are you also planning on applying for Permanência Definitiva com base em prole brasileiro, in order to obtain permanent resident status in Brazil? Because if you are, you must do that while in Brazil, Consulados will not take that kind of permanent visa application abroad. You don't necessarily have to do it now, but can only do it here - just so you know.

When you pick up the child's Birth Certificate at the Cartório, get them to make a certified copy (cópia autenticada) of it, or maybe even a couple - they're not very expensive. Then take the ORIGINAL and a copy to the Policia Federal when you apply for the baby's passport. They will look at the original and keep the copy along with the application.

Sorry, no there is to my knowledge no fast-track program for passports anywhere in Brazil.

Cheers,

I just checked online to see if my CIE is ready...and this was the message I was given. :/

Nome:  XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Protocolo:  XXXXXXXXXXX
GMP:  0000000
Data:  00/00/0000
Hora:  00:00
Recebimento:  NAO CONFIRMADO
Destino:  DPF/CAS/SP 
Responsável:  SEBASTIÃO AUGUSTO DE CAMARGO PUJOL 
Despacho: 

I applied for my CIE and received my protocolo back in February of this year and my protocolo shows that it will expire on July 19, 2015, which is in two weeks. If I don't receive my CIE by this date, then will I have to go back to the Federal Police to get another protocolo?

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm really surprised that it's taking so long. You'd be the first person that I've heard that had to renew their protocolo while waiting for their CIE under the new rules.

Hi Victoria,

The Federal Police claim the CIE should be ready within 60 days, however depending on the city it can take up to 6 months especially in smaller cities, at least that's the time frame they're giving here in Macaé - RJ when anyone applies.

Have you actually checked back with the Federal Police where you registered to see if the card has arrived, but not been entered into the system? That is another possibility.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

cupofjoe wrote:

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm really surprised that it's taking so long. You'd be the first person that I've heard that had to renew their protocolo while waiting for their CIE under the new rules.

This worries me. I will try to get in to see the Policia Federal ASAP.

James wrote:

Hi Victoria,

The Federal Police claim the CIE should be ready within 60 days, however depending on the city it can take up to 6 months especially in smaller cities, at least that's the time frame they're giving here in Macaé - RJ when anyone applies.

Have you actually checked back with the Federal Police where you registered to see if the card has arrived, but not been entered into the system? That is another possibility.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

No, I haven't. I will try to pay a visit to the Federal Police tomorrow or Wednesday before the holiday.

Thank you,
Victoria

Hi everyone

I am sharing my experience of getting my CIE.

I got married with my girlfriend which I was dating from 2 years and we got married on 26th of May, as soon as I got my marriage certificate from the cartorio, I applied for the CIE on the PF website and I filled all the details on the online application, and I scheduled my visit to the DPF, and I generated the payment slip for the 3 fees demanded, and I paid it at the Loterica, and I carried the payment slip along with all the required documents that is
1. Xerox copy of all the pages of passport (including blank pages)
2. Xerox Copy of marriage certificate - verified by cartorio
3. Xerox copy of CPF
4. 2 color photographs preferably with white background
5. Receipt of the fees paid.
I also carried the certified Xerox copies of CPF, RG of my wife.
I reached at the policia federal Londrina office, on 29 of May 2015, at 10.30 am and I was dressed formally and I was accompanied with my friend, I visited there without my wife because he was unable to get a day off so I tried to do it without her, as soon as they noticed that the permanency based on the marriage he asked me "Cade esposa" that means where is the wife, so I explained that situation and he seen that the marriage is done only 3 days before so he was convinced and said in come cases in which marriage is held few months back they need to walk in with the spouse, because in many cases they got separate or died, so in my case since it was just 3 days old marriage the officer was conceived I somehow made it. All my documents was perfectly arranged in order and it took only 20 minutes for him to verify my documents and while verifying my documents the office asked me if I like brasil and I was to stay here, I replied him "yes I want to live here" and he printed my protocol and pasted my phone one that and stamped my passport quoting that I am registered as permanent and as soon as he finished his verification the second officer called me to his desk to take my fingerprints of all my 10 fingers of hand and they said it will be done in 1 month and I will be informed by them via e mail.

I keep checking my protocol on the website and on 18 of June I noticed that my card is approved and sent to PF from MJ and on July 1, 2015 I received a mail from them that my CIE is ready to be collected. And finally I got my CIE in 32 days.

It was very fast than expected.

I hope it will be helpful to the other who is waiting to apply.

Thanks
Durgesh

Hello Durgesh,

I'm glad that things went well in your application for permanency.

I would just like to take the opportunity to point out the INAPPROPRIATENESS of the Federal Police Agent's question, "Where is your wife?" Thankfully the Constitution of the Federative Republic of Brazil 1988 and your rights under that document, are more important (to the Ministry of Justice) than the descriminatory attitude of one DPF Agent.

Your Marriage Certificate MUST be accepted at face value, and this is exactly why the Federal Police no longer make a home visit to confirm a marriage (or birth of a Brazilian child when applications are made on those grounds). It just goes to show that some DPF Agents are having problems adapting their personal feelings to the new procedures and the laws that made them necessary.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James

I would like to ask your advise on when and how I can apply for naturalization?

Please comment.

Thanks again.
Durgesh

For Ordinary Naturalization it is necessary to wait 4 years from the time one is granted permanency in order to apply. This waiting period is reduced to 1 year for anyone who was granted permanency based on marriage to a Brazilian citizen or upon having a Brazilian child.

The applicant must meet ALL of the usual requirements for naturalization, including having no criminal convictions in Brazil or abroad, and passing a test in fluency in Portuguese. One applies for naturalization through the Federal Police just as they did for permanency.

One major difference is that while one may have a Constitutional right for permanency (when based on marriage or a child), naturalization IS NOT GUARANTEED. Naturalization, no matter where in the world one may be, is always at the sole discretion of the nation.

See the following Ministry of Justice webpage for more information:

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … acao-comum

Cheers,

Hi James,

We are currently awaiting the birth of our first child and we are in Curitiba. I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell us what documents are required when we apply for our baby's birth certificate at the cartorio and the passport at the policia federal. We already know that for the birth certificate which we get at the cartorio, we need to fill out an application and a payment receipt from a bank. However, we heard that we need to have a CPF number and an address when we apply for our baby's birth certificate at the cartorio. We don't have CPF numbers as we are not Brazilian!!! so how do we get around that? Also, do we need our marriage certificate for the cartorio or policia federal (when applying for the passport)? It is not in portuguese but we can have it translated and attested by foreign affairs in our country. Would we also have to attest it at the Brazilian embassy in our country?

Regards,

Samira