Do and don't in Saudi Arabia - 2015

Hii,

It is with great pleasure that I announce the commencement of open water PADI courses instructed by me, Qualified PADI Instructor

The length of the course is approximately 20 hours broken up into one weekend and 4 evenings after 7 pm.

The following is a suggested schedule but can be adapted on request:

1- Sessions 1&2: classwork (Sunday & Monday)
2- Sessions 3&4: diving skills training in pool. ( Tuesday & Wednesday)
3- Friday & Saturday open water dives at a popular diving resort in Jeddah.

All students are most welcome, classes for men and women.
Course is available in English and arabic.

Greeting from Jeddah.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For security reasons please do not give over personal contact infos on the forum

Dont wear sleeveless shirts in public or  you'll get harassed by gay men...no offense to the gay people

dear juan
if u really want to know about this country i ll tell you everything thing about and make even visit my family and see the country not the image that you have in you mind .

thank you

thats right

Hello everyone!!!!!Another year to look forward to. What can I say about KSA ? so far, still adding my ups and downs. I have received so many contact requests but most remain just in the contact list. I've been in parties, gatherings and events and overall, I had  fun. The expat community is a small one especially the western population. I want variety ,but it seems I'm stuck to the same type of peeps. Would be fun to have a rewarding dinner with people of all ages and just talk. Perhaps, this is a sign of boredom or getting used to the life here. I'm restless again and need change. What is it with inviting people to go have dinner? I found out that it is harder for me to seek out a dinner date. I seldom ask anyone to be my date but once in awhile, I offer my generosity to potential friends. By the way, it is not a soliciting strategy on my part. I just want to meet smart people with attitude coz, I am one. I miss my country, and I miss my friends.

iluvicu said "What is it with inviting people to go have dinner? "

Maybe, (just maybe) if they're single men - there is the concern that it's against the law (outside the compound anyway)  :p     good luck

When I mentioned Dinner date, I didn't imply men only.  I guess, whatever we say is debatable in the the kingdom. I feel that all eyes are on me whenever and wherever I go. I'm still hung up on my western ways and I certainly would not be influenced by other cultures. I do show some respect and really attempt to abide by the rules. The men here has one opinion of aggressive women, especially westerners like me. Please don't get me wrong in this, maybe, I'm just meeting the wrong ones. I'm sure there are cowboys and gentle guys around. KSA, made me realize what I considered priorities back home is a luxury or forbidden here. Work is keeping me from going totally insane, and I honestly enjoy my job.  I've been blessed too in meeting the wrong people. Learned my lessons and will probably have more encounters that are not good. Such is life..anywhere we go. So, happy blogging anyone.. I wish , I have more fun insights and inspiring happenings to write.
In a not-so-happy mood today---------> Moi.

welcome In Saudi Arabia

Ayesha - are you a single woman - or married?  How do you get out to Abdullah Park if you're single?  From what I've read online you can't even get a taxi to take you anywhere if you're single and if the company doesn't give you accommodation in a European compound you appear to be stuck in one hotel room and goodness knows how you even get your groceries.  I read online of a single sick woman who took a bread delivery from a man and was accused of prostitution and eventually - after arrest - repatriated.

I've not been offered accommodation in a compound and I fear there's no private garden in the hotel either.  What does one do about taking exercise with a six day a week contract?  I can't imagine that it can be healthy if you can't walk about in the cool of the evening. 

What are the rules for shopping in a soukh as a single woman - are they the same as shopping malls where if you're dropped by a driver you can wander free or is that starting to become more difficult too?

I'd love to know the reality for single women who don't live in a compound.  The ex-pat wives without jobs who live on compounds seem to have a very different life from lowly teachers.

I'd also like to know which teaching companies are worth applying to.  Have read that the people offering me a contract, ICEAT, have a terrible reputation.  However I thought Saudi law insisted that ex-pats have health insurance provided by the company and yet online I've read that many ex-pats do not have health insurance.  I've had a quote of around £1,245 for health insurance, but the company says they provide it, however I haven't seen what is covered for pre-existing health conditions.  Presume it's a lot easier being a dark haired Muslim and working in Saudi with a man you're married to, but I really need a realistic low down on the do's and don't's for single women and the practicalities of shopping, doing laundry, keeping meds in a fridge, exercise etc.  I'd be very grateful for first hand experience from single female teachers.

@ Quiscustidiet - I think you seriously need to go through the forum and get your facts right as most of the things you have mentioned is absolutely wrong. Guess it's the media what shows about this country.

hello everyone!!!!
I got off desolation road and heading to brighter days in Saudi. Loony? or just getting the most I can out of KSA.? I haven't reached my goals but slowly it's materializing. One thing for sure, the time I spend being alone is a complete bliss. Me and myself are best buddies now a days. I'm pretty sure that there are still a lot of awesome people around but for now, I listen to my gut feeling and acknowledge the red flags that they unawarely wave at me.
Contrary to what somebody posted about women unable to go places, completely wrong. I get around Riyadh alone without any problems. But then again, I have an awesome driver who cares about my safety. Plus, my passport weighs a lot  I'm not bragging, don't get me wrong.  I don't encounter any trouble doing grocery except occasionally some die hard comes along and drop their phone number. Not cool at all. Now getting in a regular taxi is not my forte.. In other words, pick the places and company you want to frequent and if you meet someone who is too good to be true, it is too good to be true.  Every expats are here have one common goal  and it's sad that others do whatever they can to achieve their main goal doing whatever they can. As for me, I love  what I do and that is never going away even in the most precarious or lifeless place. Give  KSA a chance to learn more about yourself. After all, when everyone is gone , you and yourself will be the only consolation available to you. This may sound like I'm a loner and doesn't want company. I just value my time and not waste it to those who won't give me the time tomorrow.  Yesterday seems to last forever for me.. because I still dwell on the past, Tomorrow takes longer to come with my issues, the future? who knows.. so, here I am,, waiting for that awesome tomorrow and a promising future. Happy blogging everyone..

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : off topic

Thanks for your reply Salman. But it's been impressed on me that without a mahram you can't go walkabout alone as a single woman. I'm too old to marry again and not particularly marketable either to get a mahram accessory. I don't want to contravene the laws of the land - and if that's what the law says I wanted to know what other single women do and how they cope. I've read on this forum from a woman contributor who says Taxi drivers don't want to pick up single women - if you know different a taxi number would be deeply appreciated.  Moving to a country where you don't speak the language and the laws around females even talking to males is strictly applied I really need to know what's legal and what's not. I don't want to be arrested for contravening laws of which I am ignorant. Particularly since there's no man I can appeal to to bail me out.  I've read on, I think, Transparency International that women released from jail are kept in a hostel until they are claimed by their mahram.

To be honest I'm a little scared but if I know how to behave within the law and how to achieve my goals and practical day to day living - how to Shop legally, get laundry done and do some exercise then it would help. Even Jonathan Aitken, in his auto-biography, talks of being arrested when out for a morning run. But he was an MP at the time so no biggie - the FCO pulled out all the stops. I've written to the FCO asking these sorts of questions and haven't had the courtesy of a reply. But I've read the FCO's FAQs and it falls short on practical day to day living advice for single women - no doubt the FCO FAQs were written by a man oblivious to the everyday strictures on single women... Any single women out there living outside a compound and willing to share advice?

Hi guys, im planning to work in saudi(jeddah). But I heard many negative things about living and working there. Is it true that saudi national loves raping men intead of women? Is it true? Specially those men whose white or fair in skin color?  Its kinda alarming for me.

I really am disgusted on how people assume that stories they hear are true without  checking it out. Every place has its negative and the positive sides. Until you have experienced it and live to tell, I say, give every place the chance to prove its worth. I am not sugar coating KSA . The point is you adapt yourself to the environment..If I wanted fun all the time, I could have stayed in Vegas or have gone somewhere else. But each of us have come to KSA with one common denominator: earn and save, so we can go back or go somewhere else to have really fun. Choose the people that will inspire you and motivate you to  reach your goal. Surround yourself with non toxic friends and avoid situations that will hinder your pursuit of happiness.I have encountered so many ups and downs, frustrations, betrayals and being used by some so called friends over the year that I've been here. But , there is no absolute way that I will let this bog me down. I keep telling myself when things are tough and the roads are not paved, that I am me and I am accountable for what I do. And  I will go on and eventually get what I want. And those people that tried to use me, they can just go to hell . So expats, live your life to fullest and suck it up or find a better place. Other than this, life is beautiful no matter where you live.  Happy blogging.

iluvicu wrote:

I really am disgusted on how people assume that stories they hear are true without  checking it out. Every place has its negative and the positive sides. Until you have experienced it and live to tell, I say, give every place the chance to prove its worth. I am not sugar coating KSA . The point is you adapt yourself to the environment..If I wanted fun all the time, I could have stayed in Vegas or have gone somewhere else. But each of us have come to KSA with one common denominator: earn and save, so we can go back or go somewhere else to have really fun. Choose the people that will inspire you and motivate you to  reach your goal. Surround yourself with non toxic friends and avoid situations that will hinder your pursuit of happiness.I have encountered so many ups and downs, frustrations, betrayals and being used by some so called friends over the year that I've been here. But , there is no absolute way that I will let this bog me down. I keep telling myself when things are tough and the roads are not paved, that I am me and I am accountable for what I do. And  I will go on and eventually get what I want. And those people that tried to use me, they can just go to hell . So expats, live your life to fullest and suck it up or find a better place. Other than this, life is beautiful no matter where you live.  Happy blogging.

Amen...

for people who heard negative stories about KSA planning to come here....do yourself a favor and don't come please.

All the stories you've heard is 200 % correct and moreover the laws r gonna get strict in the next coming days. I heard one of them will be that you will not be allowed to live with your family....

Are you saying you can get alcohol and stuff?

barbieoliver wrote:

Moon always shines bright at night.

hamudi wrote:
barbieoliver wrote:

Moon always shines bright at night.

Moon shined stuff and bootleggers that sell. Risky business though.

It's summer, it's always warm in Saudi, am I right? Then why are women being forced to cover most parts of their body except face or even just eyes? Woman are human, the hot weather can kill them too....I'm not saying that I want to challenge the system or I want to wear something sexy. I prefer covering myself appropriately, according to the situations, up to my own decision, whether I feel comfortable and securing myself. Isn't it a bit unfair that way?

wendykam wrote:

It's summer, it's always warm in Saudi, am I right? Then why are women being forced to cover most parts of their body except face or even just eyes? Woman are human, the hot weather can kill them too....I'm not saying that I want to challenge the system or I want to wear something sexy. I prefer covering myself appropriately, according to the situations, up to my own decision, whether I feel comfortable and securing myself. Isn't it a bit unfair that way?

Summer time is not warm, it's boiling hot, at times I feel sweat dripping within my body. The reason why women are asked to cover is for Islamic reason. You can wear light cloak (abaya) which probably will be ideal to bear the heat.

You can wear something sexy inside and if you will be working in an all female environment it will not be an issue to remove the abaya and flaunt your sexy attire.

If you don't wanna wear it, then don't come here :)

Well said. Just for your information, even here in Malaysia, most of the time I wear long dress and jacket which covers most parts of my body. I like it because I choose to wear it, not because I have to or being forced to. I can still be here wearing sexy like other girls do, but I choose not to. It is partially about human rights. "You want to" or "you have to". Anyway, except Allah, no one should judge others, isn't it?  In the perspective of Islam, I understand and I really respect that it meant to protect women from being humiliated or looked down by the public, especially guys. I kind of like it that guys protect us in their own way. However, no one should be forced to do anything, isn't it...

wendykam wrote:

Well said. Just for your information, even here in Malaysia, most of the time I wear long dress and jacket which covers most parts of my body. I like it because I choose to wear it, not because I have to or being forced to. I can still be here wearing sexy like other girls do, but I choose not to. It is partially about human rights. "You want to" or "you have to". Anyway, except Allah, no one should judge others, isn't it?  In the perspective of Islam, I understand and I really respect that it meant to protect women from being humiliated or looked down by the public, especially guys. I kind of like it that guys protect us in their own way. However, no one should be forced to do anything, isn't it...

You see, it's the rule of the country, the reason being forced. Islam as a religion makes it easy for the women, if you don't wanna wear it don't wear it. But if the country forces you do so then do it.

Don't get me started about non muslims in Malaysia...where is your Human Rights there?

Calm down. I have no intention to start a fight nor to offend you, just to share our thoughts peacefully. I admit that I am not a Muslim "yet", but I do practise many of the Islam rules and I do read Quran, and learned a lot from it, Alhamdullilah. If we are talking about the rules or human rights here in Malaysia, people here are generally free to wear what they want to wear. You can see Muslimah not wearing hijab, and many of them do not cover all their body. It shouldn't be something that we should encourage or proud of, though. Same goes to non-muslim. Some people might give you advice to wear something appropriate in certain occasions, like in governmental buildings, classes, formal settings. Some people do challenge the limit by purposely wear something inappropriate but luckily I have self-awareness to decide on my own what to wear in different places at different time/ weather.

wendykam wrote:

Whatever you have said is completely sane thinking, but the law of land demands the woman to wear abaya and you can't do anything about it but to wear it. Although we can do long discussions about what's wrong and what's right. But eventually you will have to wear it, if you gonna live here.
:)

wendykam wrote:

Calm down. I have no intention to start a fight nor to offend you, just to share our thoughts peacefully. I admit that I am not a Muslim "yet", but I do practise many of the Islam rules and I do read Quran, and learned a lot from it, Alhamdullilah. If we are talking about the rules or human rights here in Malaysia, people here are generally free to wear what they want to wear. You can see Muslimah not wearing hijab, and many of them do not cover all their body. It shouldn't be something that we should encourage or proud of, though. Same goes to non-muslim. Some people might give you advice to wear something appropriate in certain occasions, like in governmental buildings, classes, formal settings. Some people do challenge the limit by purposely wear something inappropriate but luckily I have self-awareness to decide on my own what to wear in different places at different time/ weather.

I'm not arguing, i'm just comparing, every country has a rule, and one must respect that.

For people who want to come to Saudi, respect the rules, or don't come here, it's as simple, you leave the country, do whatever you want.

xoxo

You both are right. I wish I could be there, I can accommodate myself to whatever situation, wherever I go, as long as I have the chance to do so with that someone.... For sure I will follow all the rules as I always do, just curious and would always like to know more.... Thanks...

Exactly ! I don't like Malaysian food. It does not smell very good at times. Why do they serve it in the food courts then !! And why do people bring it to work for the rest to suffer ! Not fair..... !! Hence if i ever come to Malaysia....i will make that choice and own the consequences. If you don't like something don't do it. Don't come to Saudi for work. There's other better places you can be.

hamudi wrote:
wendykam wrote:

Summer time is not warm, it's boiling hot, at times I feel sweat dripping within my body. The reason why women are asked to cover is for Islamic reason. You can wear light cloak (abaya) which probably will be ideal to bear the heat.

You can wear something sexy inside and if you will be working in an all female environment it will not be an issue to remove the abaya and flaunt your sexy attire.

If you don't wanna wear it, then don't come here :)

Hi All,

Can we keep it nice and friendly please - avoid getting into arguments or else on the Forum

Thank you

Maximilien

Maximilien wrote:

Hi All,

Can we keep it nice and friendly please - avoid getting into arguments or else on the Forum

Thank you

Maximilien

Roger that captain !

barbieoliver wrote:

Yes you could but :)

Every country has laws, and we follow them when we go there.

This country has a lot to offer if you show respect. You will be treated in the manner that you act.

Zuleikaf1 wrote:

This country has a lot to offer if you show respect. You will be treated in the manner that you act.

Amen

Women wear sexy clothes in Saudi. i love the abaya keeps a woman dignified. Not flaunting your body all the time. The colour of abaya is the only thing i have a problem with. if you dont like the abaya dont come here ! its a very nice place to live and work , all countries have their issues.

faymoyo1 wrote:

Women wear sexy clothes in Saudi. i love the abaya keeps a woman dignified. Not flaunting your body all the time. The colour of abaya is the only thing i have a problem with. if you dont like the abaya dont come here ! its a very nice place to live and work , all countries have their issues.

U can wear colorful abayas....like the new drapes and curtain type...

Drapes and curtain colourful abayas are not allowed in certain malls. A shop in Jedda that sold them was shut down.better stick to black😉

faymoyo1 wrote:

Drapes and curtain colourful abayas are not allowed in certain malls. A shop in Jedda that sold them was shut down.better stick to black😉

Sabah al khair ( good morning)

Whatchu talkin about willis ? tons offered and shops still selling them in Jeddah.

Hi All,

It behooves me to write something about the comments of people regarding the ways of the Saudi culture.  That we have are pros and cons and not one culture stands out better than the rest. I am here, in this country to work and I choose to give the people and its divergence a chance to make my stay worth while. Whether one is a muslim or an an atheist, conservative or liberal, all I care is how I retain my identity and  to how deal with this buffet of nationalities  that surround me. What is irritating  is the way a person attempt to distort the minds of others by blasting out the ways that they are not comfortable to deal with.  What am I getting at? Expats, just be cool and go with the flow. You know the rules, respect the culture and make the best of your tenure here.

^ "Like"   :D